Crate engine for my 96

Tha Skinny

Established Member
About a month ago i picked up a decent 96 cobra. i have replaced most of the old worn out 200,000 mile parts that needed replaced and added a few things in the process. Now I've got low compression in cylinder 5&6 still drive able but I don't all thanks to a gracious girlfriend..lol

I'm looking into getting a crate engine.. This is looking to be the best option for me right now as I'm having issues finding Simone to biuld a motor in the time I need it done. I've been looking at the jasper engines. For 3500 installed with 3year 100k mile warranty it doesn't seem to bad.

Has anyone had any experience with them at all? I have heard they pretty much overhauled the old way they did things and are building some nice stuff now. All I want is it to make the same amount of power as the factory cobra motor did

Here's a list of what I have added and it replaced in the past month.

All fluids
New master cylinder
New power sterring pump and high pressure line
24lb injectors( cleaned)
Walbro 255
Fuel filter
Tank gasket
Plugs
TPS
Msd wires
03/04 cobra front arms
H&R race springs
Energy suspension bushings
Bassani O/R x pipe
Slp lm1's with stock tail pipes
Maximum motorsports pan hard bar
Motive 4:56's

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
I haven't used jasper for a performance vehicle but there replacememnt motors usually have a good following, 3500$ with labor to install seems like a good price.

Tha Skinny

Established Member
The shop I have been using for this project is hooking me up. When I got this car I've done everything myself except fix my pats,power steering Issue and master cylinder. Someone had also wired around the security system at one point connecting to two green and yellow wires running to the fuel relay on the PCM side.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
If thats $3500 installed go for it, if u can squeeze more in the budget Id probably look for a forged shortblock in case you ever go harder with HP in the future

Tha Skinny

Established Member
Yes, installed. I'm not looking to build a power monster. Maybe a little more in the future but this should be fine for a small boost app if I ever decide to go that route.

Tha Skinny

Established Member
About 1500 more or so I'm sure also. Lol.... I don't need all of that. I want to be able to know that I can jump in it and drive 1000 miles if I wanted to. That's all! This car will be more of a corner carver than a strip toy! Never was really into drag racing anyways. I'm pretty sure these internals will handle all that I want to throw at it.

Tha Skinny

Established Member
Also... Would it be beneficial to go ahead and remove the imrc's? I've thought about making deletes with the ones from my old motor but them again..would it be worth the trouble?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Don't hold that three year, 100k miles warranty too tight if you plan on boosting it before then, because they'll just laugh at you when you bring them a knocking motor.

look into mmr, for a similar price you can get a forged block good for no2 or medium boost

MMR would be my last stop! Scratch that... I wouldn't even stop at MMR! :nonono:

But I would highly recommend a forged bottom end over the stock stuff. There's not a huge price difference and it'll safely support more should the need arise.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If you go with the jasper engine you should check the cams to ensure they are 96-97 cobra cams. There's a very good chance it will come with mark 8 cams...and a 6 bolt crank.

Last edited:

Tha Skinny

Established Member
Well I would certainly hope not. My supplier had toe if they sell them as a repl scent they are a direct replacement but I will verify that.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I had a jasper t5 one time installed in a fox car and it did fine. That's all I know about them.

Shoeman 1

Established Member
I looked into them about 4 years ago when my motor went bad. At that time they wouldn't warranty that motor. I read the fine print something about the performance nature of the motor. I went with a Ford complete longblock (Steve at Tousley Ford) for the same price then, I'm sure it is higher now. Same warranty 3yr./100,000, I did have the local Jasper guy install it though. He did an excellent job for $1100 way cheaper than Ford would do it for. Talk to Steve at Tousley Ford (they are a sponsor here) he will get you fixed up.

Users who are viewing this thread