Current E85 Prices in Dallas......

wjk

Established Member
From what I have read, even though E85 is super cheap, it doesn't actually equate to more money savings. It sounds as if you will actually get worse mileage on a gallon of E85 then you will on a gallon of Gasoline. So, while $2.XX sounds attractive at the pumps, you'll also be filling up more frequently.

Since I'm no expert, feel free to correct me.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
From what I have read, even though E85 is super cheap, it doesn't actually equate to more money savings. It sounds as if you will actually get worse mileage on a gallon of E85 then you will on a gallon of Gasoline. So, while $2.XX sounds attractive at the pumps, you'll also be filling up more frequently.

The higher octane is what I'm in it for. Gains in horsepower and the E-85 is supposed to be a better, colder running fuel from what I have read.

If the Cobra is not a daily driver and just a toy like it is for me I don't personally have a problem with using the 20-30% more fuel.
Cobra's never were known for their gas mileage anyways.
You are right though, I went through and calculated out the cheaper price of the fuel against how much more you use and its not exactly a way to save any money, especially at the pump. :uh oh:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I still can`t believe we don`t have this here yet.

same here.

Freaking BS. I do a search and there are two. Both over an hour away. What kind of horsesh!t is that in our nations Capitol.

all are about 90 minute to two hour drives for me.

Buy it by the barrel...

tried that with a local place but they said they would just be driving the 90 minutes to fill up a barrel and charge me for it so it would be cheaper to do it on my own.........so that is what I'm going to start doing. I'm starting my stockpile now. My dad works in sales and is always up in kansas so he is just going to take the drums with him and fill them up for me when I start running low.
1fda8d27.jpg

forcefedcobra

Established Member

dont compare the price to pump gas 91/93 octane. compare it to race gas. You'll pay 5 times more for race gas and you'll make more power with e85.

wjk

Established Member
dont compare the price to pump gas 91/93 octane. compare it to race gas. You'll pay 5 times more for race gas and you'll make more power with e85.

I understand the benefits of E85 performance wise is pretty substantial from what I've read on this forum. I was just simply trying to point out that people may not save money by running E85 daily. Which, in a way, the thread seems to be focused on the cheap price of a gallon of E85.

Heres a good article on what I was trying to say.
In case you don't want to read the lengthy article here's a brief sum: They used a 2007 Tahoe Flex (capable of both E85 and gasoline). The test showed that with Gasoline it achieved 18.3 MPG, with E85 it achieved 13.5 MPG.

E85 vs. Gasoline Comparison Test

yellow03vert

Established Member
I am getting ready to get a return style system over the winter and 105 lb injectors hopefully they will put some more e85 stations in my area the closest one is over an hour away. I guess I will have to get some 55 gallon drums like a couple others have had to. Are the many turbo cobras running E85 at the moment?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
E-85 is around $2.49 a gallon right now in South Florida. Not bad considering regular 87 is $2.81......

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Sleeper!! You have started a revolution bro! Great advice. I enjoy reading your posts when it comes to E85. You are always very patient answering the same questions over and over. Our community is better off having you here. You have got me convinced to switch over. I just need the fuel set up and good to go. Already got the whipple.

One quick question though. A lot of the guys I see running the E85 up the boost considerably. How can you therefore make a reasonably safe tune for pump if your are running 22-23 psi. Is this just a limp tune until you can get E85 again. Just curious.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
E-85 is around $2.49 a gallon right now in South Florida. Not bad considering regular 87 is $2.81......
That's not bad at all!

Sleeper!! You have started a revolution bro! Great advice. I enjoy reading your posts when it comes to E85. You are always very patient answering the same questions over and over. Our community is better off having you here. You have got me convinced to switch over. I just need the fuel set up and good to go. Already got the whipple.
Thanks. I like to help when I can.

One quick question though. A lot of the guys I see running the E85 up the boost considerably. How can you therefore make a reasonably safe tune for pump if your are running 22-23 psi. Is this just a limp tune until you can get E85 again. Just curious.
Yes. If you create a tune for regular gasoline you can easily drive on it, but just don't go beating on it or going WOT. It would be a tune just in case you are not near an E85 pump and need to drive it. (Like any normal person would. LOL)

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
2.20 a gallon in TN. I was thinking of switching over too with the cobra. Only problem is it takes a good bit more. I bought a flex fuel truck that got 15 MPG with dino, and 10 with E-85. It burned really fast so if you do a lot of driving with your cobra I would recommend to think twice about it. Then again, who cares about MPG when you can push it without worrying about detonation.

Users who are viewing this thread