detailing...hold my hand

yeahyouknwit

Established Member
Hey guys I am looking to detail the car this weekend in prep for OC. Problem is I have never done it. All I have done to prior cars is was them, no wax, no buff, nothing. I have been reading up in the show and shine area but would like to hear from you guys. I do not have a porter cable and do not want to get one just yet. What is the best way to detail my car without a porter cable. What steps should I take to get my DD cobra looking great. Treat me like an idiot and give me step by step breakdown if you don't mind. From what I have read it seems I need to clay bar and wax so that's my game plan. Any help would be great. My car is a Black 03 cobra.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
what color is it? oops just saw...clay bar a black is prorbly the best thing to do

Last edited:

yeahyouknwit

Established Member
ok well I don't want to mess it up so maybe I should just go buy one if it makes a big difference. Any ideas where I can pick one up at?

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
You don't have to have a porter cable to do it...just patience. Buy the right wash mitt, soap and bucket and you will be fine. Detailing does not have to be hard....keep it simple. I did mine all the time....then got caught up in all the freaking hype..and bought all this stuff that is no better than what I orginally used which was meguiars nano wax.

If you can wash and dry the car then all you need is a good wax....applicator and micro fiber towels. I'd also recommend, like Carlos mentioned claying it. So wash, dry, clay, wax, quick detail.

Quick detail is the quick detail spray. Spray car and wipe off. Do that after wax to make sure you get it all.....

You can make it harder but you don't need too.

svtrookie

Established Member
Visit autogeek.net...great products and step by step videos. If you don't want to go the Porter cable route just wash the car and pick up a clay bar kit and wax. Paint correction with a porter cable takes time so it depends how perfect you want to go with it!

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
You don't have to have a porter cable to do it...just patience. Buy the right wash mitt, soap and bucket and you will be fine. Detailing does not have to be hard....keep it simple. I did mine all the time....then got caught up in all the freaking hype..and bought all this stuff that is no better than what I orginally used which was meguiars nano wax.

If you can wash and dry the car then all you need is a good wax....applicator and micro fiber towels. I'd also recommend, like Carlos mentioned claying it. So wash, dry, clay, wax, quick detail.

Quick detail is the quick detail spray. Spray car and wipe off. Do that after wax to make sure you get it all.....

You can make it harder but you don't need too.

Well said. I've used the same products for years. They work for me so I stick with them. I use Klasse All In One then P21S carnauba wax on top of it. I used to do it all by hand but just recently purchased a Porter cable but haven't used it yet. It gets kinda pricey trying out all the different products depending which one is flavor of the month.

Colin

yeahyouknwit

Established Member
thanks for all the advice. I ended up going out and getting meguiars clay bar kit and wax and went at it. After a few hours I think it turned out well.
Before
100_0354.jpg

after
100_0355.jpg

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
Damn...the after pic looks like you're in front of a mirror. Now all ya have to do is...come do mine.

I Bleed Ford Blue

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
One day, I too will get the courage to do this. Nice job on your car :beer:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
That turned out pretty nice for a quick clay bar and wax!
The show-n-shine forum here has a wealth of information on this. Keep in mind a random orbital will cut the time down you spend on all of this drastically, but it can all be hand-done. (I have a Griot's Garage Random Orbital, it is the shist. I prime my pad with some meg's quick detailing spray)

I usually do the following when preparing my cars in spring:
1: Wash it down with some blue dawn to get all the oils and previous wax off
2: Clay bar (I use meguiars) any areas with obvious swirl marks.
3: Anti-Swirl Product (Meguiars SwirlX, or No. 9 Swirl Remover, Adams, Pinnacle, Griot's all have good product, start with the most abrasive and then work to finer ones after you finish with each, if necessary)
4: Meguiars Ultimate Compound, with extra attention to trouble areas
5: Meguiars Ultimate Polish with the orbital.
6: Blue Dawn it down again to get any oils off that your hands may have put on.
7: Meguiars Ultimate Wax. (Sorry, I like Meguiars Ultimate stuff.)
8: Megs Endurance for the wheels.
9: Wheels depend on what material there are, Chrome, there are many chrome polishes you can use, or just microfiber it with your normal car-wash soap and make sure it's dried. Polished aluminum rims are a bit more involved, grab a couple cans of bud lite, because you're gonna be on them a while. :beer:
10: Interior, hit it with the vaccuum, wipe it down with your favorite product, throw some protectant on the leather seats and go go.

I hope this helped.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
3: Anti-Swirl Product (Meguiars SwirlX, or No. 9 Swirl Remover, Adams, Pinnacle, Griot's all have good product, start with the most abrasive and then work to finer ones after you finish with each, if necessary)

Shouldn't that be start with the least aggressive/abrasive product? Work your way up to what resolves it and then back down? At least I'm pretty sure that is what I've heard on most forums.

Users who are viewing this thread