Did some Autocross this weekend...

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Had a blast. Only my second time autocrossing. My car is bone stock (unless you count K&N filter and stock / canned Predator tune). Yeah, I know a convertible isn't really the best choice for autocross, but when it is what you have then you go with it.

Noticed that the car pushed like a pig (typical mustang), and one of the more experience drivers recommended "different tires". I'm riding on Nitto 555's, on stock rims. I really like them for daily driving around here - wet or dry they hook fairly well and don't give as much hop as others I've tried.

I'm thinking about serious subframes, if I'm going to be goofing around autox much.

Anyhow, just making conversation this morning :)

Teej281

Established Member
That's awesome! Different tires up front would probably help out. But I'd say go out and have fun with what you have. If you were setup like me with coilovers and stuff that might not be as big of an issue, but the most fun in racing is racing what you brung and learning your vehicle.

SVTDice

Established Member
I'd like to get into some autocross or track stuff sometime, I'm not all into the drag racing IMO. I just don't know where near by I can go for a track event, Hmm..

skratpiece

Established Member
I autocrossed one time myself back in 2007. Loved it. 04 Terminator Vert. Mods at the time were CAI, Magnaflow Catback, Shifter. Had plenty of torque, maybe could have used a little more horsepower, but then again could also use a weight reduction and some brakes too. Altogether car was very responsive, very forgiving, fun at the limit. Keeping the supercharged engine under control was a little nutzy at the top end some times. A naturally aspirated motor may be a little more safe at the limit. I broke loose on a really hot lap one time and went off roading. Top down, sandblasted my interior. That was one hell of a day. Viper club with some completely ridiculous supercharged gts snakes came through (Fort Devens Airfield in Mass). Porsches galore. Corvettes. Bolt on yellow terminator with coilovers on all 4 corners and some racing tires was the fastest car there that day. Can't wait for next time.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Autocross is a great way to get a taste for the more complete type of driving fun that can be had with these cars.

Going around corners as fast as you can is just WAAY too much fun to ignore and not try.

I got my start doing autocross with 4cyl Mustang IIs!!:bash: That is if I don't count the BONSAI blasts to my grandma's camp in the Adirondack Mountains in my modded PINTOS!:lol::bored::-D

Then I Ice Raced a couple Ford Fiestas for 5 years, and now HPDE/Open Track with a Terminator.:rockon: I drag raced a truck for a few years too, but that's for a different thread.

Here's a quick cheap way to get some better times at the autocross.

1. Mark your camber plates so you can adjust them back to stock when you are done, without paying for another alignment. Then the morning of the autocross drill out the rivets and adjust them to as far negative camber as they will go. Set them back at the end of the event.

2. When you buy tires don't buy anything with a wear rating number higher than 220, and try to run a squared tire set up IE: same size front and rear.
Big stickies just in the rear = understeer.

3. remove jack, spare and anything else not nailed down in the trunk or passenger area.

4. run a half tank, but not lower than 1/4 tank, fuel is heavy and the slosh Gs are not that big a factor on a heavy car like this.

5. get there early and quietly walk the course with the hard core guys with your ears FULL OPEN!

6. bring a tire pressure gauge and use it, come with the tires too hard and let small amounts of air out as the day heats up to keep them in the sweet spot... which you will have to determine during the day's runs.

7. have FUN! Be determined to learn and concentrate on making the nut behind the wheel a faster driver and don't worry so much about the car, nearly all of your improvements will come from your driving and not stuff you've done to your car.

8. don't be an egotistical jerk, or maybe that should be an ego-testicle jerk.:nonono: :-D People will be glad to help newbs if they are not trying to be "king shit of the day" the first time out.

9. expect to get beat by ridiculously slow but light cars that are particularly good at changing direction and are being driven by really good drivers.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
Autocross is a great way to get a taste for the more complete type of driving fun that can be had with these cars.

Going around corners as fast as you can is just WAAY too much fun to ignore and not try.

I got my start doing autocross with 4cyl Mustang IIs!!:bash: That is if I don't count the BONSAI blasts to my grandma's camp in the Adirondack Mountains in my modded PINTOS!:lol::bored::-D

Then I Ice Raced a couple Ford Fiestas for 5 years, and now HPDE/Open Track with a Terminator.:rockon: I drag raced a truck for a few years too, but that's for a different thread.

1. Mark your camber plates so you can adjust them back to stock when you are done, without paying for another alignment. Then the morning of the autocross drill out the rivets and adjust them to as far negative camber as they will go. Set them back at the end of the event.

2. When you buy tires don't buy anything with a wear rating number higher than 220, and try to run a squared tire set up IE: same size front and rear.
Big stickies just in the rear = understeer.

3. remove jack, spare and anything else not nailed down in the trunk or passenger area.

4. run a half tank, but not lower than 1/4 tank, fuel is heavy and the slosh Gs are not that big a factor on a heavy car like this.

5. get there early and quietly walk the course with the hard core guys with your ears FULL OPEN!

6. bring a tire pressure gauge and use it, come with the tires too hard and let small amounts of air out as the day heats up to keep them in the sweet spot... which you will have to determine during the day's runs.

7. have FUN! Be determined to learn and concentrate on making the nut behind the wheel a faster driver and don't worry so much about the car, nearly all of your improvements will come from your driving and not stuff you've done to your car.

8. don't be an egotistical jerk, or maybe that should be an ego-testicle jerk.:nonono: :-D People will be glad to help newbs if they are not trying to be "king shit of the day" the first time out.

9. expect to get beat by ridiculously slow but light cars that are particularly good at changing direction and are being driven by really good drivers.

Pretty much covered everything I would say. I'm not sure about having a tune on your car, but I do know if you are running with SCCA, subframe connectors automatically put you into the Street Prepared category which means faster cars. If you can run in the Stock class with your cobra, then you'll be more on par with the cars in your class.

Good to see some of the cobra guys getting out and running something other than just a straight line. But if you really want some track time, check into any organization that does HPDE's (High Performance Driving Events). Nasa is a good one and that's what I run in... but there are plenty of others all over the nation.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Pretty much covered everything I would say. I'm not sure about having a tune on your car, but I do know if you are running with SCCA, subframe connectors automatically put you into the Street Prepared category which means faster cars. If you can run in the Stock class with your cobra, then you'll be more on par with the cars in your class.

Yeah, I really don't want to jump up classes, or do anything too permanent to my car.

Good to see some of the cobra guys getting out and running something other than just a straight line. But if you really want some track time, check into any organization that does HPDE's (High Performance Driving Events). Nasa is a good one and that's what I run in... but there are plenty of others all over the nation.

I actually did look into HPDE stuff last summer and learned that convertibles without a real roll bar are prohibited from the track. At least here. Same at the local drags ~ at least for the kind of times our cars are capable of turning in stock trim :-/

However, I'm still dropping hints to the wife that a new Boss302 would look really good in our garage :burnout:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member

Thanks for the tips Jimmy (and everyone else)!

As for folks interested in getting into Autocross, I recommend checking the SCCA site and see what they have going on locally. I was doing Solo, which has so many various classes that you could bring darn near anything with wheels. Local cost was $40 ($15 for track, and $25 for temporary club membership). I got 4 runs in and they guarantee 3 (for times), with any extra being a "bonus".

SCCA Solo: SCCA - Sports Car Club of America
Southeastern Events: SCCA - Sports Car Club of America

Users who are viewing this thread