Differentials: T2R vs. True Trac

03'Darin

Established Member
I've had my T2R in for over a year. Did 7 track days last year and it never missed a beat. The best thing about the T2R is you don't even know it's there. You never feel any engagement or have any tire slip. I'm putting just over 500 rwhp and 450 rwtq down. I've also been to the drag strip 3 times with the Torsen in. Twice with street tires and once with a pair of my open track tires. I do launch like a sissy at the drag strip because I'm scared to death the rear end will explode. lol

I also don't have a diff cooler........yet.

I've run a True Trac, locker and a Auburn when I was AS racing. Auburn still left one wheel spin, locker wasn't the way to go, True Trac worked well but the car only had 350 ish bhp.

IMO the T2R is worth the money.

Darin

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am seriously debating between the two right now. My center chunk is out of the car just waiting on me to make a decision. I want the T2R, but am very afraid it will break from the power. I was told the T2R will not take straight line launches at all. I know the true-trac is used in drag cars so that makes me think it is stronger.

I know I have asked this before without a real answer, but does anybody know the power ratings of these units on an IRS car?

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I honestly don't think there is much difference in the way either of them will take the powe of a straight line launch as the designs are fairly similar.

racebronco2

Established Member
with my tr2 i have been to about 12 autox events, around 8 2-day trackdays, around 80 launches on street tires and about 30 launches on et streets .... at the last dyno i was putting out 497hp/503tq, i launch from between 4000 and 6000 rpms, the only thing i did break was the dif cover, best time on f-1's 13.40, best time on kumho mx's 12.57, and best time on et streets 12.01 at 116, all times were with the stock 3.55 gears and tr2, and like 03darin said you don't even know it's there

03'Darin

Established Member
I'm currently in the middle of replacing all of the IRS bushings in my car. I just pulled the IRS out of my car and opened the diff to check the fluid condition. I have run about 7 o/t days and maybe 5,000 miles on the T2R since installing it. I was curious how the fluid was going to look and smell since I don't have a diff cooler and these rears supposedly get insanely hot while o/t'ing without one. The fluid looked and smelled fine. Matter of fact makes me wonder if I really need to spend the time and money to do the cooler.

Darin

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
03'Darin said:
I'm currently in the middle of replacing all of the IRS bushings in my car. I just pulled the IRS out of my car and opened the diff to check the fluid condition. I have run about 7 o/t days and maybe 5,000 miles on the T2R since installing it. I was curious how the fluid was going to look and smell since I don't have a diff cooler and these rears supposedly get insanely hot while o/t'ing without one. The fluid looked and smelled fine. Matter of fact makes me wonder if I really need to spend the time and money to do the cooler.

Darin

Darin:

You are going to continually improve (hopefully) with your driving which will put added strain on your diiff the faster you get. I know it's a PITA but trust me, NOW is the time to put the cooler in your car! Half the work is already done?!!?

FWIW

Cobra-R

Established Member
03'Darin said:

Darin

Darin,
Where your going to see problems first is the seals getting cooked and starting to leak. I would not expect you to see the oil break down(and get stinky), I think you would wreck all the seals and loose the oil before that happend.

Brian

03'Darin

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Darin:

You are going to continually improve (hopefully) with your driving which will put added strain on your diiff the faster you get. I know it's a PITA but trust me, NOW is the time to put the cooler in your car! Half the work is already done?!!?

FWIW

No I'm not. lol I'm actually trying to teach myself to slow down some and not run at 10/10ths. It's hard going from racing with full safety equipment to open tracking with no safety equipment. You need to deprogram yourself not to run at 10/10ths. I'm struggling with this. :bash: My 03' Cobra isn't the right car to make a full on open track car. Right now my funds don't favor having both an o/t car and a fun street car. So I'm trying to bridge the gap with one car. I am putting the cooler on. I'd be crazy not to already having the IRS out of the car.

Darin

03'Darin

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Darin,
Where your going to see problems first is the seals getting cooked and starting to leak. I would not expect you to see the oil break down(and get stinky), I think you would wreck all the seals and loose the oil before that happend.

Brian

I had expected to notice some signs of heat when I opened it up, but nothing. I pulled the seals because I'm going to replace them while it's apart, and they looked like new. Maybe that header wrap I've been running on the exhaust to protect if from the diff heat worked in reverse. :eek: :-D

Darin

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
I would not expect you to see the oil break down(and get stinky), I think you would wreck all the seals and loose the oil before that happend.

When I took mine apart with the stock diff and no cooler the oil stunk real bad and didn't look to good either..

03'Darin

Established Member
toofast4u said:
When I took mine apart with the stock diff and no cooler the oil stunk real bad and didn't look to good either..

Did the fluid smell like it was burned or did it just plain stink? The friction modifier additive stinks something nasty. Could it have been that?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Just thought I would ask in this thread. Us L's don't have the Torsen option. I am smoking the inside tire on corner exit. I was wondering what you guys would suggest between a Tru-trac and a regular locker? At first I was thinking the tru-trac because of its smoothness during transitions but I am afraid of still having inside tire smoke so am leaning towards the locker. Is it just a difference between driving styles or what? Does it make a difference because we have the automatic trans.? Thanks for the info and help guys.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
My old True Trac was a locking type differential. I purposely went to the T2R to get away from the transitions from braking to accelerating. It sounds like you are wanting this for an O/T applicatoin. I haven't had a chance to drive the car with the T2R yet but I can tell you there is a lot less play when just turning the pinion flange in each direction than before.

Tom

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
tomshep said:
My old True Trac was a locking type differential. I purposely went to the T2R to get away from the transitions from braking to accelerating. It sounds like you are wanting this for an O/T applicatoin. I haven't had a chance to drive the car with the T2R yet but I can tell you there is a lot less play when just turning the pinion flange in each direction than before.

Tom

Now you have me confused. I thought the True Trac was similar to a T2 and a regular detroit locker was the locking type. Yes this would be for open track since the car I am going to build for racing I will most likely go with a T2R in a IRS. I'm just not sure the true trac would be much improvement over my factory limited slip because I only get wheel spin on tight corners when traction is significantly reduced on the inside tire. I am under the impression that a locker wouldn't let this happen yet may produce other problems due to its locking and unlocking throughout the turn. I'm still :shrug:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
Now you have me confused. I thought the True Trac was similar to a T2 and a regular detroit locker was the locking type. Yes this would be for open track since the car I am going to build for racing I will most likely go with a T2R in a IRS. I'm just not sure the true trac would be much improvement over my factory limited slip because I only get wheel spin on tight corners when traction is significantly reduced on the inside tire. I am under the impression that a locker wouldn't let this happen yet may produce other problems due to its locking and unlocking throughout the turn. I'm still :shrug:

I am sorry, you are correct. My old diff was a C locker. All of my above comments apply to the T2r vs. C locker.

Mark W can tell you the differences between the True Trac and T2R. I believe the bias numbers or some other items were a little better with the T2R. Also, all I received was positive feedback on the T2R from many sources. That was enough for me.

Thanks, Tom

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
tomshep said:
I am sorry, you are correct. My old diff was a C locker. All of my above comments apply to the T2r vs. C locker.

Mark W can tell you the differences between the True Trac and T2R. I believe the bias numbers or some other items were a little better with the T2R. Also, all I received was positive feedback on the T2R from many sources. That was enough for me.

Thanks, Tom
Alrighty, thanks. I will probably go with the True Trac then because the T2 and T2R aren't offered for the 9.75" rear end in the Lightnings. Thats why I was asking for people's opinions between the C-lockers and the True Tracs.

Users who are viewing this thread