Do any of your 03 Term. smoke a little upon cold start?

03DANNY

Time served
Established Member
I recently sold my 18k mile Terminator and don't ever remember it smokin. The new owner emailed my that he drove the car home about 500 miles and then it sat for about 5 days. He states he started up the car and saw smoke come out of the exhaust left side. I am 100 % sure the car does not smoke after start up. Honestly never paid attention on cold starts but 100 % possitive it doesn't smoke after that. I have an 03 Expedition which smoke very little upon colds start I also have an 04 F-150 FX4 which also smokes a little upon the cold start. I only check them after he emailed me since it is unoticable unless you pay attention to it upont starting. I feel very comfortable that I sold him a good car I just wanted to ask you the experts on SVT if any of you have this concern. Thanks for any input.

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
mine does a little, its not bad at all.. but i run long tubes, orx and bassani cb... may have to do with the exhaust set up???

Last edited:

03DANNY

Time served
Established Member
Where do you search for info. on smoke startup? I really don't think anything is wrong the car was 100% stock and I never saw it smoke.

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
03DANNY said:
Where do you search for info. on smoke startup? I really don't think anything is wrong the car was 100% stock and I never saw it smoke.

I usually search from the main Terminator Forum. Just click on "Search this Forum", then type in "smoke startup"

If you didn't beat your car, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. If you want to be sure, have the new owner pull the intake.....if you see oil, that's a good possibility of your smoke.

REDFIRE03SVT

Established Member
mine does it. a little white-ish blue puff.. sometimes its a lot and sometimes not at all... i checked the intake and there was no oil there and i also have the home made separator mod.. people say its the valve guides.. i took it to ford and they wouldnt do anything about it... it doesnt use a noticeable amount of oil at all and it doesnt burn oil while it runs so the way i see it, its not a big deal... but yeah if you search you'll find out more info.. try searching in the tech section too.. you'll find that quite a few of these cars do it actually... guess i'll get mine fixed when i develop the head tick haha
good luck bud:burnout:

MikeW

Established Member
Mine does it from time to time... It may be the guides but my car seems to suck oil into the Air intake. I added the JLT pre-filter on teh Passenger side and it helped for a few weeks and then the smoke on start up came back. I will clean the JLT Filter and see if it goes away again.

03DANNY

Time served
Established Member
I do remember removing the air intake once and seeing a little oil in there. I heard it was normal. Usually people install the oil seperator to help with it. The sale was final I just wanted to get a little info. on this because I never saw any smoke but I do know my other 2 ford veh's. do it now that I have been looking. They do it very very minimal it is not even noticable unless you are standing behind it and only on cold starts. Thanks for all the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread