do i need a new clutch

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
i took my car out the other day to have a stereo put in, but i noticed that the clutch is grabbing at the top of the pedal now, where it wasnt before i put it in storage. i drove it pretty hard at the end of summer, and when i took it home the other day, i felt like a bit of pwer was lost, almost as if the clutch was still engaged, so i took it easy going home. the car has 33k on it, and the previous owner had upgraded the clutch at some point. could this be a cable adjustment, or may i need a new clutch? the car has 500hp and when its driven, i drive it pretty hard. i dont mind buying a new clutch, if that could fix the high pedal.

RussZTT

Established Member
No, sounds like it needs to be adjusted. Get a aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant and it should solve your problem. :beer:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Until you get some replacement adjusters, trying grabbing the pedal and yanking the hell out of it to make the OEM adjuster do its job. May have to do that occasionally, but I would definitely get the quadrant and FW adjuster. I also have an adjustable cable with the low pedal effort SPEC PP on a stage 3 disc. Clutch engages right off the floor. I love it.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
so how can i tell if there was an adjuster placed? im a big guy. so i cant crawl up into the car to look, can i see from the firewall side? when i yank on the clutch pedal, there isnt any obvious clicking.

RussZTT

Established Member
so how can i tell if there was an adjuster placed? im a big guy. so i cant crawl up into the car to look, can i see from the firewall side? when i yank on the clutch pedal, there isnt any obvious clicking.

The OEM is an off yellow/tan in color and plastic. The firewall adjuster is an aluminum piece and can clearly see where you turn it to adjust it. :beer:

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
so i assume that im looking inside the car, between the clutch pedal and the firewall.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
If it has a firewall adjuster, it will be a billet piece right next to the master cylinder hydraboost and the PCV valve. There wont be any obvious clicking from the OEM adjuster when you yank on the pedal. That thing's a piece of garbage, anyhow. I would buy the Fiore firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant, if I were you. Definitely worth the money, without a doubt.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
thanks for the tips, ill check tomorrow if i have one, and if not will buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread