Dog Training

alex3610

Established Member
We have a goldendoodle that is just over a year old. He is WILD. Endless energy. A good dog for the most part but he is starting to really get on my nerves. In my wife's eyes he can do no wrong though. Biggest problem I have is him jumping on people, especially when we first get home or worse, when we have company over. Not much seems to phase this guy. We tried smacking him on the ass, but he generally returns violence with more violence. At my in laws one night my MIL rolled up a newspaper and went to smack him with it and he leaped up and ripped out of her hands and proceeded to shred the paper. Funny as hell but I still have a 75 pound lunatic on my hands. Any good ideas on how to get this guy under control? Jumping and always wanting to play too rough are our biggest problems with him. Certain things, like house breaking he took to almost instantly, so I know he is capable.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
retrievers have a high threshold for pain, they have to take one hell of a wallop sometimes, more than I would ever care to give. I would find a good local dog trainer to work with.

Our dog isnt anywhere near on that level but our dog trainer has us working with an "enough" command that basically means to either stop or take it down a notch or else (or else being put in time out, usually in the nearby bathroom and shutting the door for a few seconds). Shes still allowed to bark but when she gets the "enough" command its time to stop, same thing if shes tries to get too rambunctious with the cat. She can still play with the cat but needs calm it down.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Used to watch alot of Dog Whisperer and one thing I learned about dogs jumping on friends/fam (or you when you first get home) is to ignore them. No touch, no talk, no eye contact and it's pretty much always worked for me. Sometimes it takes a while but it's worth it. Physical punishment is ineffective imo. I think it helps to focus on keeping him calm by speaking to him in a calm demeanor.

Zemedici

Established Member
Used to watch alot of Dog Whisperer and one thing I learned about dogs jumping on friends/fam (or you when you first get home) is to ignore them. No touch, no talk, no eye contact and it's pretty much always worked for me. Sometimes it takes a while but it's worth it. Physical punishment is ineffective imo. I think it helps to focus on keeping him calm by speaking to him in a calm demeanor.

^this

ThomasL

Established Member
Take him on walks. It gets that energy out and gives you a chance to be the boss. Shock collars work wonders too when used properly. I've used the shock collar on myself to see how it feels before using on my dogs. It isn't cruel or even all that painful, just gets the dogs attention. And he'll associate that shock (which he doesn't like) with jumping on people. Therefore, he won' jump on people.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
press-release_zps134863a5.jpg

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
High energy dogs need to be run... If you have a field, train him to run around without running away. Get a dog collar to help with that. Lots of dogs are not meant to be stuck inside of a house all day and it's surprising when people wonder why the act the way they do. Especially any kind of dog with hunting in it's bloodline like retrievers.

alex3610

Established Member
In regards to the dog whisperer tactic, I have tried that with little success. If he doesn't get your attention you will start to nip at you. I've tried turning around and walking away which results in him following me and nipping at my legs and jumping on my back. He is a persistent son of a bitch. I try and walk him several times a day and run him in the yard as much as I can. It definitely helps his level of destruction around the house. Our yard is not huge, but it is fenced in. I'm still hesitant to let him loose in a big field. He's never really ran away and doesn't try and bolt out the door, but I'm still nervous. He can run incredibly fast and there is no way I'm gonna catch him. Outlaw99 read above about the newspaper, he beat the newspapers ass. I am really interested in the training collar but my damn wife is sooooo against this. Thanks for the tips guys.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I like re-training my neighbors dog every time they ask me to watch it since they just let her rule the house. The "silent treatment" works really well with her. If she has too much energy I will rub peanut butter onto the top of her nose and that will occupy her for a good hour since it's almost impossible for her to reach with her tongue. Or a piece of turkey shoved in the collar works great as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
any training being done should really be done AFTER exercising him a bit if hes that wound up. Seriously though, consider finding a local trainer for some one on one. We had a lady come to our house 4 times for an hour each for a little over $200. There are some places that even guarantee that if an issue returns theyll come back out and correct it.

the person we used started with treats and clicker which involves them associating the clicker with reward then into the training, our dog did really well with that. This way you can hopefully not only squash the bad behavior but get it doing a bunch of other stuff you want it to do as well

wht93gted

Established Member
We have a boxer, with more energy than the sun. Ignoring seems to work best, turn your back, don't even look, just completely ignoring.
Positive reinforcement is always more effective then hitting or any negative actions. When people come and you know, maybe put the dog in another room, then let them out on the leash, if he jumps, immediately correct, and back into the room. The dog will learn if he wants to stay out, he has to behave.

But as a puppy we did about 4 months of twice a week training with her at a local place.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
We have the same exact problem with pretty much the exact same dog lol. We have a 75lb labradoodle named Charlie and boy is he a handful. On top of the endless energy he loves to jump on people. Yeah cute at first when he wants to give you a big old bear hug but it got old quick.

We used a simple spray bottle filled with water as a training tool. When he would jump we would give hima little spray with an aaggressive "no" and it's been working fairly well. They're a very smart breed but yes they can be wild.

Pics of our monster

Posted via Topify on Android

Attachments

• topify_1415643716081.jpg
    topify_1415643716081.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 273
  • topify_1415643767083.jpg
    topify_1415643767083.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 275

getsomebeyatch

Established Member
Reading a lot of wishy washy advice here about training a dog. Sounds like your dog needs a reminder on who the alpha of the family is and where his place should be. Once that is established your dog wouldnt think twice about ignoring your commands or "challenging" people by jumping on them or taking things from there hands. I would recomend a good local trainer to help establish basic obedience before the dog continues to make its own set of rules to test you guys.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Been there

I have had Shelby for 8 years now. I wanted a mellow already trained dog. She was two and a Rotti mix when I picked her up from a foster home. She seemed mellow and I was not notified of any behaviour problems. When I got her home she was basically a 95b puppy that was not trained in anything. I have had dogs all my life and never had a dog like this. For years she got the better of me. I almost got rid of her I was so frustrated. Obedience helped, but the biggest thing I noticed. The worse I treated her the worse she behaved. I started to single out the things she did right and praise her. She started to change for the better. The more you scold her the worse she acts. I also walked her almost 2 hours every day. We started to bond big time. When I broke my back she was strangely there for me. She turned into a very sensitive dog who picked up on small things. I lived alone at the time and she could pick my mood up instantly. She ended up blowing her knee out and I forked out $4g to have it fixed. Then again with the other leg. Don't get me wrong she is still a jerk at 10 years old with newer knees. But so much better than she ever was. Just like your dog sounds intelligent but mischievous.

Our lab/collie on the other hand just wants you to be happy. Tell her not to walk off the front lawn and thats all she does. The Rotti I have spent many hours looking for her if she gets out.

Walks and praise!

Dobedare

Established Member
Best advise here is a good trainer. I have friends who train at this facility in Richmond http://www.alldogadventures.com/

We all own Dobermans, and my friends who are trainers at All Dog Adventures - their Dobermans compete and have titles in several areas. Working breed dogs do need daily exercise. But consistency is key to training.

thebestofindica

Established Member
Reading a lot of wishy washy advice here about training a dog. Sounds like your dog needs a reminder on who the alpha of the family is and where his place should be. Once that is established your dog wouldnt think twice about ignoring your commands or "challenging" people by jumping on them or taking things from there hands. I would recomend a good local trainer to help establish basic obedience before the dog continues to make its own set of rules to test you guys.

I agree. My experience is training deutsch drahthaars mainly for hunting, but the same rules apply to any dog. When you are looking for positive results fast, this "ignore them" crap doesn't work. Your dog either respects you or he doesn't. If you keep ignoring this stuff he may eventually quit, but on his terms, not yours. He will just find more shit to pull with you. You aren't going to hurt the dog. Take care of it now and you will both be happier. If he needs exercise, you as the owner should provide that. If you can't, find a home that can. Any dog worth a crap is going to test you at times. My dog is my best friend, but we are on the same page. I'm fair, but consistent. Good luck.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I don't own dogs but there is nothing worse than visiting someone or having a run in with a poorly trained dog + owner. I've had too much clothing and shoes screwed up by untrained dogs. Watch this kick used by Cesar Millan http://youtu.be/Ghz5jrz0Y_Y?t=2m51s it has worked really really well for me and it is easy to do unnoticed. It seems to stay with the pets of friends who I see.

allister

Established Member
Please do yourself and your dog a huge favor and make an appointment with a trained professional or take a class. If the dog is "wild" and has "endless energy", it's not getting enough exercise, and that's YOUR fault, not the dogs, so please stop hitting it. Considering it's part retriever, walking it several times a day is not going to help. It needs to run, and act like a psycho outside for a good couple hours a day at minimum. If you have a dog daycare nearby, you will see a night/day difference instantly if you take your dog there even just a few times a week.

As for the jumping, when it jumps on you, turn away and ignore it. If it's as soon as you come in the house, go back outside, and keep trying to come back in and don't stay in until it doesn't jump on you. It might take awhile but it works, trust me.

And again, PLEASE don't ever hit your dog. Hitting it teaches it aggression and violence. So don't act surprised when it shreds the newspaper! Instead you need to teach the dog on a reward basis. Which you need to learn from a trained professional or taking a class, or read up on it online. But doing it in person with a professional is the most beneficial.

smitty2919

Established Member
I have a similar issue with our 3ro old Lab/Hound/Boxer mix 45lb shelter dog. GREAT dog and comes 80% of the time when called to come the FIRST TIME. Will come when playing with other dogs as the dogs get in his way etc.

Best thing that worked for our dog was treat training and abuse. People ALL the time say how good he is. He will lay down when told to, he will sit when told to amongst people in the room. When people ask how we did it I say treat training (mostly for walking nice on a leash...with a choke collar...and knows to sit whenever I stop walking) and abuse, people almost laugh like I am joking...

I'm like "No seriously, when he jumps on people or nips at me or we catch him sniffing around the coffee table he gets whacked on the ass or across the nose." Then people look at me like "Ohh..." But them I tell them "with that said, what you see is a result."

My dog knows "easy" when getting too mouthy when I wrestle with him or when messing with our cat. He knows "down" and or "off" for getting off the couch/bed/staying off people. If he is being needy and I'm busy doing something he actually knows "**** off" but mostly because he hears "off" at which point he goes to lay down.

A "place" or bed may work as well. When people come in tell him to go to his bed or place and stay. Let people come in and IGNORE HIM NO MATTER WHAT. After 10+min of people being there and he has seemed to just lay there uninterested, let him get up and greet them. Teaches him he does not NEED to go nuts.

Oh and like others have said, high energy dogs inside all day suuucks. Ours had issues separation anxiety missing us so bad when we would be gone all day he would chew things. So going on walks in the morning and after work to give him MENTAL exercise works as well.

Lastly, CONSISTENCY is key. Dogs are a pack animal and they need/want structure in their life. So ALWAYS getting on him for the same problems, rewarding him for doing things you tell him to do. You need to be the alpha male and take that approach. Always walk out a door before him, put food down and tell him when he can eat it, never let him walk in front of you on walks etc etc. Dogs feed off of energy as well. So when people come in all high pitched voices and smiles the dog will get going. Maybe have friends help you to train him by ringing the door bell and walking in completely calm and ignore him. Tell him to go lay down and let everyone sit down and talk. When the dog is calm let him greet them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread