Don't know where to go next?

sixpackstang

New SVT *****
Established Member
I've got my car ready for some serious power (KB, Whipple, TT?), but I don't know what my next mod should be...help me decide.

Here's a quick list of the mods worth mentioning:
Fuel system upgraded - 60 lb injectors, GT pumps, stainless line running to CPR fuel rails, SCT 2800 MAF, accufab TB.

Bolt ons like 2.76 pulley, SLP catback and xpipe, jlt intake, and some other stupid stuff.

To make it short, my suspension is at Red Pill minus level 5 halfshafts. I went with H&R race springs, Billetflow brace/IRS brackets, MM bushings and subframe connectors, and Nitto 305/35/18 DR's.

Now is where I'm stuck, I've got about 1.5-2K saved up that I can spend on the car. I really want to do a TT, but I know its a lot more expensive so I'm considering a KB or Whipple. What do you think I should do?

1. Save a little more and get that supercharger on there!
2. Buy the level 5 halfshafts first, you're just going to break the stock ones...
3. Replace the stock clutch and output shaft, those aren't gonna last.
4. Long tube headers, heat exchanger, and possibly coil-overs?

Help me out here. :shrug: Let me know what you think I should do and why.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
You don't need level-5's unless you're a track rat.
I'd get the clutch, 26-spline, and a good set of drag radials on her first.
Save for a twin screw.

prostkr

Established Member
uprgade the clutch and a get of 315s /10.5 wheels if you dont already have them. break in the clutch while your saving for the twin screw or turbos.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I have to agree that unless you intend to spend a lot of time at the track I'd start with #3. What you do next is kind of up to what your priorities are. No reason not to do #4 after that, but you might want to save a bit more and do #1 and #4 at the same time. Then do #2. If, however, you plan to live at the track, I'd do #3, #2, #1 and #4. JMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, by the way, I can guarantee you that the short list above is going to grow to include some mods/expenses you haven't thought of at this point. So plan your budget accordingly. Kind of like building a house. You start with Plan A and end up with Plan C. LOL!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Just curious why everyone is telling him to replace a clutch that I assume is still good?? :shrug: If he is only running a 2.76 upper right now, that clutch should be fine for a while. I say keep the clutch til it starts slipping and spend your $ on other mods in the meantime. If you have 2k to spend, then you are not far at all from a used Whipple. :beer: Just my .02.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Rick, I'm assuming he has a fair number of miles on the odometer since it is an '03. Plus he is obviously planning on some track time. So I'm assuming he knows it is nearing the end of it's life. Your point is well taken, though. You know what they say about making assumptions. LOL!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Rick, I'm assuming he has a fair number of miles on the odometer since it is an '03. Plus he is obviously planning on some track time. So I'm assuming he knows it is nearing the end of it's life. Your point is well taken, though. You know what they say about making assumptions. LOL!

Yeah, wasn't sure of his miles. I guess I ASSumed that everybody with an 03 parks it in their garage 90% of the time like my dumb a$$! :bash: Really, he can't go wrong with any of the items on that list. :beer:

sixpackstang

New SVT *****
Established Member
Rick James said:
Yeah, wasn't sure of his miles. I guess I ASSumed that everybody with an 03 parks it in their garage 90% of the time like my dumb a$$! :bash: Really, he can't go wrong with any of the items on that list. :beer:

Well you are right, it is parked in the garage most of the time! It has around 24,000 on it right now and the stock clutch seems to be holding up just fine.

And although I do plan to take it to the track a few times, its definately not going to be an all out drag car. Most of its time will be cruising, going to car shows, etc.

Right now I'm thinking save for the whipple/kb. Then as soon as its on, start the fund for whatever needs replaced next.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
sixpackstang said:
Well you are right, it is parked in the garage most of the time! It has around 24,000 on it right now and the stock clutch seems to be holding up just fine.

And although I do plan to take it to the track a few times, its definately not going to be an all out drag car. Most of its time will be cruising, going to car shows, etc.

Right now I'm thinking save for the whipple/kb. Then as soon as its on, start the fund for whatever needs replaced next.

Personally, thats the route I would take also. You have the essential mods taken care of to keep your engine healthy, so go get your boost on and worry about clutches when ya need em!! :beer:

P.S. I would also invest in either the LDC or Even Flow cooling mod (depending on whether you do clutch or twin screw first).

Last edited:

sixpackstang

New SVT *****
Established Member
Rick James said:
P.S. I would also invest in either the LDC or Even Flow cooling mod (depending on whether you do clutch or twin screw first).

Can you elaborate a little? This is just the mod to get the coolant to flow through the back of the heads better, right? Heading to the search button now....

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
sixpackstang said:
Can you elaborate a little? This is just the mod to get the coolant to flow through the back of the heads better, right? Heading to the search button now....

You got it. Either one should to do the trick. One (LDC) requires the tranny to be out, the other (Even Flow) is easier to do with the blower off. I went with LDC due to the fact that my TO bearing crapped itself @ 5k miles! :bash: :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread