Don't run right

Toby1ton

Established Member
Here is a stumper. My '96 mystic has a SHM 5.0 modular 4v, heads ported, stepped up cams, 42 lb injectors, big fuel system, KB @ 12 lbs. I went through the motor over the winter and cleaned up the cylinders, rings and bearings. Back to together it runs like crap. I took the front cover off and double checked the timing, it's ok. I discovered that # 1 and 6 was not firing. After a few lost hairs, I unplugged the AFM PMS and ran it with the computor alone and with the KB chip. Both cylinders are firing now and although it runs much better, it still runs like crap. It won't idle when it warms up and it feels like the bottom end shakes or works against itself when reved. Not much power either. I have plenty of vaccuum (20 Lbs) and compression (165-180). I did extend the wires to the mass air for the cold air kit and although I put the stock air system on, the wires are still extended. I plan to solder them and perhaps go to the stock intake and injectors/ mass air.
It pains me because this thing was so fun, 11.58 @ 123, autcross/open track freak.

crazycarlo

Established Member
maybe you got a wire crossed when u extended it. Thats what happened to me when I extended my MAF harness and IAT wires.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I bet it has something to do with the mass air sensor, number one clean it with electrical parts cleaner to see if it helps. Make sure everything is grounded well. Did you extend the wires from the main pig tail. Also make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

Also just for kicks check your crank sensor and make sure its not damaged or going bad.

Users who are viewing this thread