down for a day or so

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
so the cobras gonna be down for a while....at first i thought it was the rear main seal, but i just checked under it and the leaking doesnt look like it would be for a real main seal......

Last edited:

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
honestly i cant tell, at first i thought it was the rear main seal cuz it looked like it was commin from btwn the driveshaft and the tranny....but when i got under and looked more closely the leakage wasnt right if it was the seal...it looked like it was leaking more in front of the tranny...i really cant give much more info then that till tomorrow when i put it up on a lift.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
honestly i cant tell, at first i thought it was the rear main seal cuz it looked like it was commin from btwn the driveshaft and the tranny....but when i got under and looked more closely the leakage wasnt right if it was the seal...it looked like it was leaking more in front of the tranny...i really cant give much more info then that till tomorrow when i put it up on a lift.

rear main seal is at the back of the engine, not where the driveshaft goes into the trans...that is the trans output seal...

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
well thats what someone told me when they looked up under my car...im not a mechanic so idk. Thats why i was asking you guys to see if it was possibly a common problem or just something out of the blue that maybe someone else encountered.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
the trans output seal is a common leak area...if it is leaking red fluid then that is probably where it's coming from...i've not heard of too many leaking rear main seals on these cars...

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
well i put the car on a lift today, and im pretty sure i found out where the leak was comming from. The leak seems to be comming from the lower portion of the shifter...

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
ill get some pics up tomorrow, but no i was lookin at the ford manual on cd and it says the part is the extension housing is the part that im looking at....and the top of it seems tobe leaking

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
ok, so im in the process of taking my shifter off, and i got down to pretty much the bare essentials. I took off the shifter boot and the 4 bolts holding the shifter down. i then got to the extension housing and took off the smaller circular boot off.....question is is there supposed to be fluid in the little circular boot?

Users who are viewing this thread