Drilling stock thermo..pic and ?

I don't think it's as serious as all that. It's just that oil is designed to up it's viscosity as temps increase. It's possible that running a higher weight or different oil would totally counteract any temp/weight issues.

Honestly I was really hoping you would at least try the modded stat in cold weather first because the truth is we really don't know what kind of temps will result until someone tries it. As long as you're staying in the 170-176* range I don't think there is any cause for concern.

I'll try it Joel. Naturally, after reading some of the latest responses I got a bit spooked but I'll give it a shot.

I had my car on the dyno all night tonight and it never got hotter than 187* The low speed fan is set to come on at 184 off at 180 high speed on at 190 off at 187. On my way home it was 76* outside and the temps fluctuated from 174-190. I don't really know what that tells you, but for me the 190 part is a little higher than I'd like in that type of air. This was all highway driving and very little stop and go. I may reflush the system again and see if maybe I still have a little air in the system.

190F is not high at all. When I had my Fluidyne I was consistently running between 190 - 194F. If you're doing that with a stock radiator then thats something to be excited about.

Well I dont have much experience with the car in extreme cold, but the car will still run up to temp when it is that cold out. The 170 stat will regulate the temp better than a drilled OEM stat, and in turn keep the oil warmer. In cold weather the 170 stat will get the car up to temp faster, and keep it there. I would say you would be safer with the 170 than a drilled OEM.

Even in the cool evening air, my oil temp runs 180 on the highway. Most people universally say between 180-190 is considered "warmed up" for engine oil.

If you are worried, I would just turn up your fan settings a bit for winter.

Sweet. What you're saying makes total sense. I'm definitely throwing the t-stat in there. This is definitely exciting considering I've had thre Fluidyne in my cr and always saw between 190 - 194F. Its going to be awesome to see much lower temps with what so many have described as being an inferior radiator (OEM radiator). :rockon:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
On my way home it was 76* outside and the temps fluctuated from 174-190. I don't really know what that tells you, but for me the 190 part is a little higher than I'd like in that type of air. This was all highway driving and very little stop and go. I may reflush the system again and see if maybe I still have a little air in the system.
Bill, that sounds perfectly normal for where your fan settings are. If you knock the hi fan on/off down a couple degrees it may keep you from hitting the 190* peak as often. Personally I'm happy with anything 190* and under because these are much, much better temps than with the stock system. I doubt you have much air, if any, in the system but the last thing you want to do is open it and reflush. Just check the crossover tube when the car is completely cool and you're good to go.

As of now I have been unable under any circumstances to make my car hit 200*, not even briefly, including hot lapping WOT 1-4 gear runs... I think that's pretty good on the stock rad and fan.

Last edited:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Well I dont have much experience with the car in extreme cold, but the car will still run up to temp when it is that cold out. The 170 stat will regulate the temp better than a drilled OEM stat, and in turn keep the oil warmer. In cold weather the 170 stat will get the car up to temp faster, and keep it there. I would say you would be safer with the 170 than a drilled OEM.

Even in the cool evening air, my oil temp runs 180 on the highway. Most people universally say between 180-190 is considered "warmed up" for engine oil...

Because of this I think I'm finally going to order my 170* thermostat from JOEL... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread