DSLR Cameras

Need2Speed86

MOB!!!
Established Member
I graduate in 2 weeks and was thinking Id like to take up photography and take some classes. Anyways whats a good camera that will allow me to grow and expand. Trying to stay around the 850-900 range.

Nikon d5100?
Canon rebel t3i?

Any good sites to read up on?

Last edited:

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I shoot with a Canon but you can't go wrong with either. Go try out both when they are live. So you can see the menus and actually use it. Pick one. Buy it. Practice.

DefCon3

Established Member
gosh what is up with EVERYONE wanting to get a dslr camera and trying to be a photographer..

If you take pictures (with any camera), you are a photographer. Maybe not a "good" one, but a photographer nevertheless.

Great pictures were taken long before DSLRs were invented.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
gosh what is up with EVERYONE wanting to get a dslr camera and trying to be a photographer..
Umadbro? Where's your pictures?

I just picked up my buddies Nikon D70, it's an older model, but I got it for 80 bucks so I can't complain :thumbsup:. My first DSLR too so I'm just getting the hang of it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
my next camera will be a compact DSLR, probably th pentax Q...
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8QdMmI7RyM"]Pentax Q - New Favouritest Camera EVER! - Review - YouTube[/nomedia]

...or the nikon V1...
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkHuBc_sJ8"]Nikon V1 review - Does it suck? - YouTube[/nomedia]

i can take some good shots and enjoy photography, but i know i won't be making a career out of it and i simply don't have the time to learn the intricacies of a prosumer/professional DSLR. these new compact DSLRs take impressive shots(i'd like to see some camera snobs pick them out from "real" DSLR shots), are easier to use, and are still very powerful with lots of available adjustments. lenses are much cheaper as well. don't write these off just because "the pros don't use them".
odds are i'll probably end up with a sony HDR-CX700V video camera first though.

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
I know there are lots of websites to do research on these cameras, so here's this one. You can also find the D5100 in there.
I decided to go with a T3i, which i picked up this morning from my local Best Buy store. They have many different "bundles" so make sure you shop around. I was close to getting just the body and looking elsewhere for the lense, but i couldn't pass up free financing for 18 months on the bundle with the 250mm lense.
I've noticed that talking Canon and Nikon is like talking about Ford's and Chevy's.... either one you choose will be a good choice as they are very equally comparable.

Canon EOS 600D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
I got a Nikon D60 at a decent price 2 years ago (dont think you can find them anymore) and it just took a dump on me a few days ago....got an error that i looked up and couldnt fix through what i found online...so it went off to Nikon today.

wouldnt mind getting a 5100 for video recording.

I know everyone says "just because you have an slr doesnt mean your pictures are going to be better." but in my opinion i think once you get used to the camera it makes adjusting them easier than on a point and shoot.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I shoot with a Canon 60D. I bought it with a warranty for 800. It is a full DSLR and it also shoots 1080p HD Video. Very easy to use. Glass is great. Best overall bang for the buck at the moment in my opinion that isn't a full frame camera.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
You can pick up a really nice Canon 40D or 50D off Craigslist for a great price. Kicks the shit out of the Rebel line up. Canon ftw

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
what about the d5100? What makes the 60D so much better? What about the 50D?
the D5100 is an excellent camera. and has gotten stellar reviews. Nice thing is that the accessory pack that comes with it includes instructions on how to do an internet search, where the canons don't.

11dsgGT

Established Member
I was in the same position as you and ended up buying a T3i as my first slr. I picked the T3i because it fit my price range and there were several deals on lenses. I found two deals on Nikons and they weren't all that spectacular. The camera has an "auto" function (a+ or something) and describes the settings when you adjust them, which will be invaluable for me as a newb. The swivel LCD is a plus for me as well. If the auto setting or LCD doesnt interest you, you can pick up a T2i for about $100 cheaper. If I would have had the money I would have went with the 60D because some of the functions are worth the higher price tag. It has much better focal points and shoots at 5.3? per sec, so if you want to photograph sports, animals, kids, getting the shot would be a lot easier. I did most of my research reading professional reviews and comparisons on amazon.com as well as a couple magazine reviews, like this months issue of shutterbug.

Ended up spending 640 on the T3i body, 130 on a canon 55-250mm telephoto lens and 350 on a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II lens, for a total of 1120. I bought the lenses because they loose very little value and are just as important as the camera body. Dont forget that you will have to buy a bag and SDHD memory card, which is about another 50, if you get a deal.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Jumped into the dslr world last year and got a Nikon. Decent camera but their customer service is terrible. Maybe worse than that! And my buddy got a new Canon & I think it has better features, LCD swivel screen is sweet, and he gets great tech support from them. Needless to say, but I'm a little jealous and next time I'm going with a Canon.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
If you do get a canon I have a few entry level lenses for sale..

As I said above, in your price range, I would skip the rebels and get the 60D. It has a magnesium body instead of the cheap plastic bodies of the rebels, along with a better processor, autofocus drive, and more..

that body with a 28-135 would be an excellent all around camera, and if you do fall in love with photography, you will have a great body to grow with.

I have a 7D and LOVE it to death, although I am waiting for the 5DmkIII to come out, but thats a whole other ballgame

Users who are viewing this thread