Dyno results for my Track Key '13 Boss

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
My '13 Boss hit 1k miles so it was time for an oil change and removal of the exhaust plates. I purchased the 1/2" plates just in case it was to loud with no plates.... Well I have to say I love it with NO PLATES!!!! My wife loves it too.... so no worries. With that said, I wasnt able to dyno it before the removal of the plates. I did dyno it with and with out the track key. I found the results to be about 5-6 rwhp 8 rwtq gain with the track key. Also the air fuel ratio was leaner with the track key. This is probably old news to you '12 Boss guys.... But I figured I would check my car.
My peak numbers where 387rwhp with the track key, in 5th gear, plates removed with 1k miles. I dont know where that puts me, but considering the heat (95 degrees) and few miles... I cant complain.

Here is my dyno sheet. The other run on it was in 4th gear with out the track key.... Noticed the a/f differance.

Bossdyno1k.jpg

Here is a pic as well
Boss1stdyno2.jpg

Last edited:

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Very cool man! So the 2 runs here are both in 4th gear, only difference is with Trackkey?

IamRacerX

Established Member
Sorry I should have been more clear... 387 was in 5th with the track key. The other was without track key in 4th....

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thanks gentlemen... Here are a few more pics..

bossdirft.jpg

bosshome.jpg

SVTPete83

Established Member
Truthfully the gear difference might have made a difference in your numbers. Typically the shorter the gears, the lower the number it will read. When I went from 3.27 to 4.56's I lost 11 rwhp. Granted it was on a different day with a little different weather but it would have been a more accurate test with the car in fifth for both runs.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Whenever dynoing the best transmission gear ratio to dyno in is whatever gear is 1 to 1. In most american based 5 or 6 speeds it is 4th. T-5, T-45, T-56, T-6060 ect... However the MT-82 in the 11-up 5.0 Mustangs is 1 to 1 in 5th.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Whenever dynoing the best transmission gear ratio to dyno in is whatever gear is 1 to 1. In most american based 5 or 6 speeds it is 4th. T-5, T-45, T-56, T-6060 ect... However the MT-82 in the 11-up 5.0 Mustangs is 1 to 1 in 5th.

I know and completely agree. I was just saying that a gear difference will equal a difference in your track key and non track key comparison.

svt1111

Established Member
I know and completely agree. I was just saying that a gear difference will equal a difference in your track key and non track key comparison.

Completely true, however it wouldn't affect the AFR readings between the two and I found that interesting.

Nice car and nice pic of your car leading the ZR1 and R8! Personally I'd take the R8! lol

IamRacerX

Established Member
I agree with you too. Unfortunately the shop didnt print the right silver key pass for comparison.

Completely true, however it wouldn't affect the AFR readings between the two and I found that interesting.

Nice car and nice pic of your car leading the ZR1 and R8! Personally I'd take the R8! lol

exactly.. The trac key was leaner with either gear. Theref
ore explaning the power gain.

IamRacerX

Established Member
What is a usual torque number for a stock Boss?

legos_mustang

Established Member
Peak HP or Torque on a dyno never tell the whole story, even when comparing two different cars right after each other on same day at the same dyno. I had my new Boss dyno'd against my old 2012 GT and was disappointed when my 2012 GT came out with something like 2 more HP and 18 more Ft/lb of Torque (It was broken in and also had a CAI,Tune,O/R-H Pipe. Even with that, and with only 200 miles on my Boss, there is nothing you could do in my GT to prevent the Boss from passing it. It didn't matter from a dead start or on a straightaway. And before someone says it's a "Driver's race" it didn't matter the driver. When I would swap drivers with my friend, it was obvious that the Boss was the much quicker car. There are a lot more variables than simply peak HP or torque.

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
Here's something interesting. My 0-60 times are 1-2 tenths better with the regular key....... Only tried the 0-60 feature about 10 times. 5 for each key. 4.6 was the best on the reg. key, 4.7/4.8 with the track key.... I will be testing more in the near future.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Peak HP or Torque on a dyno never tell the whole story, even when comparing two differernt cars right after each other on same day at the same dyno. I had my new Boss dyno'd against my old 2012 GT and was disappointed when my 2012 GT came out with something like 2 more HP and 18 more Ft/lb of Torque (It was broken in and also had a CAI,Tune,O/R-H Pipe. Even with that, and with only 200 miles on my Boss, there is nothing you could do in my GT to prevent the Boss from passing it. It didn't matter from a dead start or on the track straightaway. And before someone says it's a "Driver's race" it didn't matter the driver. When I would swap drivers with my friend, it was obvious that the Boss was the much quicker car. There are a lot more variables than simply peak HP or torque.

This ^ is very interesting!!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Peak HP or Torque on a dyno never tell the whole story, even when comparing two differernt cars right after each other on same day at the same dyno. I had my new Boss dyno'd against my old 2012 GT and was disappointed when my 2012 GT came out with something like 2 more HP and 18 more Ft/lb of Torque (It was broken in and also had a CAI,Tune,O/R-H Pipe. Even with that, and with only 200 miles on my Boss, there is nothing you could do in my GT to prevent the Boss from passing it. It didn't matter from a dead start or on the track straightaway. And before someone says it's a "Driver's race" it didn't matter the driver. When I would swap drivers with my friend, it was obvious that the Boss was the much quicker car. There are a lot more variables than simply peak HP or torque.

Yes... area under the curve! That is why the LS motors from GM have always been strong. They make power through a long rpm range!

Users who are viewing this thread