Dynojet Run 609 RWHP

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Looks like a 4th gear pull, also no visible smoke out the back so it isn't running that rich with the factory tune.

IIRC, back during the 99 Cobra HP debacle, Ford used a .85 factor between rwhp and SAE engine (320 rated cars were supposed to show 272 or more on a DJ, 320*.85= 272).

Now the 99s had an IRS, and obviously less than half the HP so the correlation may not be there, but just for fun:

609/.85= 716.4

My A/F is 11.6-11.8 at wot on the dyno and I get black smoke out the back when they let out of it, figured it was from my o/r pipe.

I would have never guessed 600+ whp with a conservative ford tune.:eek:

cobrakon

Established Member
maybe they should change the name to gt600 or gt700. that's insane.

Last edited:

500_man

Established Member
Watching the Shelby specials last night, the lead tuner in the Shelby facility in LV said that a 750 HP Supersnake should make "630 - 640 HP to the rear wheels." That's a 15% drivetrain loss expected by the guy who tunes each car to ensure they are meeting advertised HP ratings. Therefore, the '13 GT500 should make about 562 +/- HP to the rear wheels. Either the revised rating was still not at peak RPM, or the '13 is underrated by 50HP (or there is a massive correction factor in the quoted number.)

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Just interested......do many of you feel this 609 RWHP chassis dyno number is valid ?
I don't know if the advertised HP rating Ford has given the car is SAE Certified (J2723 ?), but if it is, I would have a hard time believing 10% driveline losses....MUCH less than 8% driveline loss.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Ok, I have to ask; according to this Ford released document 662HP is at 6500RPM, so what does this car really make.. at let's sat 7000RPM???
:burnout:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_GT500_Specs.pdf

Until a printed dyno sheet is shown (the video didn't show one), you won't know. If power is shown to taper off and fall after 6500 RPM, spinning it to 7000 RPM won't matter (from a horsepower perspective).

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
I'll wait for a known dyno and sheet to get happy about this.

I agree with you 100%.

As of lately, I've been seeing some crazy dyno numbers being published in various publications for cars from GM, Ford, etc.....claiming chassis dyno numbers within 10% or less of advertised rated HP for STOCK cars.

Using 10% on losses gives you a number 595, and I think 10% is overly optimistic as well. I would expect a number in the mid-high 570's for a stocker using SAE correction and smoothing set to 5. :beer:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I also noticed that Ford went back to the H pipe and got rid of the X.
Personally I never liked the X pipe

evolve

Established Member
Told ya. I've seen five dyno runs and 609 is the lowest. The highest was 624. On a car with 100 miles.

Thats jusy sick. Very nice to see how tight lipped Ford and associates were with this information. Great stuff!

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
I agree that we should wait for a dyno sheet and all but this guy doesn't say things simply to say them...

Told ya. I've seen five dyno runs and 609 is the lowest. The highest was 624. On a car with 100 miles.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
One of the reviews posted said the car makes it's maximum power in the 8 second over-rev mode at 7,000 Rpm's. Want to see an actual run, with the camera on the screen, and a full Dyno sheet with Rwhp, Tq, A/F, and Boost, Sae......Car is a Beast.....

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I agree with you 100%.

As of lately, I've been seeing some crazy dyno numbers being published in various publications for cars from GM, Ford, etc.....claiming chassis dyno numbers within 10% or less of advertised rated HP for STOCK cars.

Using 10% on losses gives you a number 595, and I think 10% is overly optimistic as well. I would expect a number in the mid-high 570's for a stocker using SAE correction and smoothing set to 5. :beer:

You don't really have to wait.

The 609 rwhp in the video is legit. You're going to see a lot of GT500's putting down RWHP numbers in the very high 500s and low 600s in 100% stock configuration with little mileage. Of course every dyno is different.

I have no idea how the SAE certification process works. All I can tell you is that whatever the point of it is, the rwhp numbers from this dynojet will not be a unicorn or out of the norm.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
I said it before, and I'll continue to say it:

700 whp with full exhaust(headers, off-road midpipe, catback), intake, throttle body, injectors, and a tune.

AnthonyBourdain

Chef-at-large
Established Member
Either the revised rating was still not at peak RPM, or the '13 is underrated by 50HP (or there is a massive correction factor in the quoted number.)

Yeah, because Ford's never previously released an underrated s/c Cobra :nonono:

Please check out the #s for 5.4 2010+ GT500s w/ only a TVS at 14/15#s, then realize your misstatement.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Please check out the #s for 5.4 2010+ GT500s w/ only a TVS at 14/15#s, then realize your misstatement.

Or 390hp 03 cobras dynoing in the 375-395 range. Stock.

500_man

Established Member

I made a misstatement in claiming that Ford EITHER underrated the cars power OR the SAE rating @ 6500 is NOT at peak power?

Huh? What are you smoking? :dw:

Last edited:

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
You don't really have to wait.

The 609 rwhp in the video is legit. You're going to see a lot of GT500's putting down RWHP numbers in the very high 500s and low 600s in 100% stock configuration with little mileage. Of course every dyno is different.

I have no idea how the SAE certification process works. All I can tell you is that whatever the point of it is, the rwhp numbers from this dynojet will not be a unicorn or out of the norm.

Well......Ford's official statement says

" The 5.8-liter supercharged V8 in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 is SAE certified at 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque"

SAE Certification allows for 1% deviation from advertised power....so 668 would still allow Ford to advertise "SAE Certified Horsepower".

I let you read up on how the SAE Certification process works before we delve into this further......but IMHO, 609 RWHP looks to be an optimistic dyno or dyno operator.

Just a question.....what are the 1/4 trap speeds of the GT500 owners who claim 600+ RWHP ?:pop:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Well......Ford's official statement says

" The 5.8-liter supercharged V8 in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 is SAE certified at 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque"

SAE Certification allows for 1% deviation from advertised power....so 668 would still allow Ford to advertise "SAE Certified Horsepower".

I let you read up on how the SAE Certification process works before we delve into this further......but IMHO, 609 RWHP looks to be an optimistic dyno or dyno operator.

Just a question.....what are the 1/4 trap speeds of the GT500 owners who claim 600+ RWHP ?:pop:

Another butt hurt Z06 fan, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread