Early Build 03 Question

Qwk GT

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing an early build 03 cobra, but I am concerned about the head tick issue with these cars. I've read that all cobras are prone to this, but I thought the early builds have the greatest probability of developing this problem.

So, of all the people who actually developed this problem, do you guys primarily have the early build cars. Am I being paranoid, or do these early cars have that much more a chance to develop the issue?

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
From what I've read... it's more of just an annoying sound you have to live with, won't hurt performance or anything.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Any 03/04 Cobra have the possibility of developing the infamous tick. The 05' Revised heads are the only heads that have been redesign with the added coolant passages. If you buy any 03/04 I would definitely invest in the even flow cooling mod or seek one that has the new 05' revised heads, or simply spend $2400 and buy the new 05' revised heads. You can always throw that in with the negotiation and try to get the seller to drop $1200, half the cost. :beer: Good luck with your search and possible purchase.

mach1033

Established Member
If your worried about the tick in the early models why dont you look for a build date that is mid 03? Like the one member stated the tick is more annoying than a performance hindrance.

cobracide

Established Member
Any 03/04 Cobra have the possibility of developing the infamous tick. The 05' Revised heads are the only heads that have been redesign with the added coolant passages. If you buy any 03/04 I would definitely invest in the even flow cooling mod or seek one that has the new 05' revised heads, or simply spend $2400 and buy the new 05' revised heads. You can always throw that in with the negotiation and try to get the seller to drop $1200, half the cost. :beer: Good luck with your search and possible purchase.

^ THIS. The only thing I would differ on is the head cooling mod and I went with the LDC/Chicago head cooling mod. It's installed way back out of the way and good to do when you do a clutch.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I've owned an 04, did most of my research when I bought that car. I actually never worried too much about the tick, I know all the cars are prone to it, but I thought I was pretty safe with the 04.

I actually would prefer a late build 03, or an 04. Just I found one with low mileage and I'm getting tired of searching. I'd like to throw some mods at it also, just trying to cover my bases. Any other input? Or any input from early build owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

03cobra#116

Established Member
No tic here. Mine is a first run, delivered 6/25/2002.

Of course, it's just broken in with 95,000 miles.

Still runs like new.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Thanks for the input. I've owned an 04, did most of my research when I bought that car. I actually never worried too much about the tick, I know all the cars are prone to it, but I thought I was pretty safe with the 04.

I actually would prefer a late build 03, or an 04. Just I found one with low mileage and I'm getting tired of searching. I'd like to throw some mods at it also, just trying to cover my bases. Any other input? Or any input from early build owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have an early build, 05/23/2002 to be exact #68 . No tick yet, 58K miles.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Alwaysboosted, are you stock. I would assume if the car isn't modded or pulley'd there would be a better chance of it not developing the tick.

Any early build guys that have mods? The car I'm looking at in particular is stock, and I want to jump straight to a port. (had a pullied car before, and wanted more with that one....)

Thanks,

cobracide

Established Member
Alwaysboosted, are you stock. I would assume if the car isn't modded or pulley'd there would be a better chance of it not developing the tick.

Any early build guys that have mods? The car I'm looking at in particular is stock, and I want to jump straight to a port. (had a pullied car before, and wanted more with that one....)

Thanks,

You seem unsure of how solid the motor is.. leakdown test and you will know. How many miles, is it strong? A LOT of people return their cars to stock and sell the mods separate to get more cash back.

Last edited:

Qwk GT

Established Member
You seem unsure of how solid the motor is.. leakdown test and you will know. How many miles, is it strong? A LOT of people return their cars to stock and sell the mods separate to get more cash back.

I know a lot of people return their car to stock. I guess it'll be really hard for me to tell. It has 8k miles. Dealership claims it was a 60 yr old guy who traded it in on a new gt500. Unfortunately, its out of state. Being that its a dealership, I'm not sure how I'll get it inspected/tested/compression test/leakdown. I guess I could have the dealership do the testing, but I'm kind of afraid they'll just bs me to get the sale. Not at a Ford dealership, some independent that claims they bought it from a Ford Dealership. From the pics, I can see its got the stock exhaust/catback, stock intake and pulley gaurd. Figure most people that return it to stock would leave the cat back on. Sucks, never bought out of state, and my last one was local. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on the car.

Autocheck confirmed one owner, registered every year.

Thanks for your response.

cobracide

Established Member
8K miles - HOT DAMN! The LAST VIRGIN! LOL.

Sorry, had to. I believe that. Got mine at 7k un-modded in spring 2009. You are going to have fun building it should you get that one. How much?

Last edited:

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
2.95 pulley, JLT CAI, Dragon SBTB, Bassani Catback and X pipe.
Modifications don't increase the probability of developing the tick. Taken the car 120MPH+ floored in 5th and 6th gear on the other hand will. :burnout:

Satyr

Established Member
I've had 2 03s and an 04 and haven't had the tick with any of them. I only had the HCM on the first 03.

Users who are viewing this thread