Eaton Swap or Complete Motor

AKPony

Established Member
What would be the benefits if any to doing the Eaton swap over just replacing the whole motor to an 03 or 04 motor in a 97? From what I have read Im pretty sure my block would hold up and weighs less than the iron block.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
yea your block is better, the teksid over the iron block in the 03/04 cobra, but at the end of the day the eaton swap is just as much as doing a full kenne bell or vortech kit, alot of work is involved, and a 03/04 motor is a forged internal bear, so if the funds are no option, go with the 03/04 motor and get the trans the t-56 while you are at it, and add some 3:55 gears

AKPony

Established Member
Well if I were to tear mine down as far as the heads Id most likely forge it at that time. I could at the same time or in the future do a Kenne Bell Kit for the 03 conversion or just put it on the 03 motor. Seems like the cost should be fairly comparable to do either swap.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Well if I were to tear mine down as far as the heads Id most likely forge it at that time. I could at the same time or in the future do a Kenne Bell Kit for the 03 conversion or just put it on the 03 motor. Seems like the cost should be fairly comparable to do either swap.

Actually, you're better off put new forged rods/pistons in your car.

For the eaton swap, you will have to swap out to c-heads, along with the 03-04 timing cover, and several other things involved with the c-head swap.

So I would do, c-heads, forge the teksid block in your car, and put a whipple or kb. Or, keep the b-heads, forge the teksid, and do a nice turbo setup. :beer:

F8L BYT

Established Member

For the eaton swap, you will have to swap out to c-heads, along with the 03-04 timing cover, and several other things involved with the c-head swap.

So I would do, c-heads, forge the teksid block in your car, and put a whipple or kb. Or, keep the b-heads, forge the teksid, and do a nice turbo setup. :beer:

This! It will be cheaper and so much more badass

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member

that would cost you $10K+ to build that. the KB for the 99-01 is around $5000 i believe by itself, then building the motor (unless you are doing it yourself) is easily another $4-5K. then there is buying c-heads and all the little peices.

You're better off buying a complete 03-04 motor if you want to stay on a decent budget. and it is far simpler to install one of them compared to building a new motor and installing a KB on it.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
that would cost you $10K+ to build that. the KB for the 99-01 is around $5000 i believe by itself, then building the motor (unless you are doing it yourself) is easily another $4-5K. then there is buying c-heads and all the little peices.

You're better off buying a complete 03-04 motor if you want to stay on a decent budget. and it is far simpler to install one of them compared to building a new motor and installing a KB on it.

Not necessarily true. You don't have to buy everything name brand, off the shelf when you can put together what you what and buy certain parts used to save money if you want.

For how much a complete 03-04 engine is, you could forge your engine and put whatever power adder you want.

And last time I checked it doesn't cost 5k to forge a bottom end.

Last edited:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
So it would be cheaper to just replace the entire motor then do the swap?

Cheap? There is nothing cheap about buying a complete 03-04 engine.

Then you are still going to have to deal with the transmission, so you either buy a t56, built your t45, or go with a promotion trans.

After that, the rear end is going to need to be beefed up.

Either way, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 5k for the engine. (If going 03-04) Add another $1-3,000 for the transmission and another $1,000-1,600 for the rear end.

jakesspv6

Established Member
Cheap? There is nothing cheap about buying a complete 03-04 engine.

Then you are still going to have to deal with the transmission, so you either buy a t56, built your t45, or go with a promotion trans.

After that, the rear end is going to need to be beefed up.

Either way, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 5k for the engine. (If going 03-04) Add another $1-3,000 for the transmission and another $1,000-1,600 for the rear end.

why would you add the rear end? there is no need for it if you just want the eaton.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
why would you add the rear end? there is no need for it if you just want the eaton.

I was talking about things that become weak links, in the specific order of which they usually do.

But if you really just want an eaton there is no need for any of it, you can just buy an eaton and set it in the passenger seat.... Or get some purple zip ties and strap that bad boy on somewhere.

Last edited:

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
And last time I checked it doesn't cost 5k to forge a bottom end.

so assuming the OP can't build his own motor, where can i get a built motor for $5000?

and about average pricing for a 03-04 motor/T56 is around $7500..

Last edited:

AKPony

Established Member
I never thought any of this would be cheap. But if the benefits are close to the same then why not look at the less expensive option? As for the transmission Im thinking either T56 or TKO500.

Last edited:

MLS

Established Member
The rear end in 96-98 cobra is stronger than an 03-04 rear end

KazooGS-T

Established Member
so assuming the OP can't build his own motor, where can i get a built motor for $5000?

and about average pricing for a 03-04 motor/T56 is around $7500..

You can get a forged bottom end, pre-assembled from MMR, the 900 5.0 stroker for around $3,000... And if you shop around you can spend A LOT less, take the parts and your engine to a machine shop and they will build it for you; for well under $5000.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I know where a built 96-98 4v engine is right now for $2,300. You'd be amazed at what car parts are selling for in this economy right now. -Edit- The engine just recently sold, so disregard this part.

And the pricing I've seen for a COMPLETE 03-04 engine/tranny setup is closer to 10k. Look around. There are two-three in the market section for that pricing. You have to remember he's also looking for the complete supercharger setup that goes along with that engine also.

Also, if you do a straight up 03-04 engine, you are going to be adding well over 200lbs to the front end of your vehicle.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
the shop near me sells complete 03-04 cobra motors for $10k all the time.

wow the people buying them must be lazy, I have seen many go for 4500 sans the trans, and 6000 with the trans. deals can be founf but if oyu just want to spend money for fun go for it.

The best way to do it is to purchase a mach 1 engine and use the parts of its and sell what you dont need and peice together the eaton swap, many guys do it. Keep your teksid block and build the bottom end. If you do but a terminator motor the same thing applies, rebuild your bottom end and sell the terminator short block and I bet you get at least a grand for it.
By selling what you don use you can recoup around 25% of your initial cost, it just takes time and some effort.

Users who are viewing this thread