Employment Question

JMoraru

Established Member
I have worked for a certain large and pretty well respected retail chain for the past four years. Right now im employed there, full time college student, and raising a 5 month old. Up until about 3 months ago i worked lots of hours (up to 39 a week) and would pick up hours or stay late whenever i could help. Well, about the time i had to seriously restrict my schedule was the time we went under new management whom decided to enforce some scheduling rules. They worked with me for a few months, but i pretty much have been given an ultimatum to open up my hours or I wont be on the schedule. Im considered "part-time", so can they even tell me I HAVE to work on certain days? If they do "take me off the schedule" is this considered effectively firing me and can i file for unemployment? I dont want to lose my job, but as of right now there is not much i can do although i may be able to work a few more days a week coming up soon.
Also a few things: I have been keeping this job with this well known employer to signal to other employers that i am hard work and all that good stuff. I am full time this semester,but after that I have one class until i get my degree. Also, im probably doing an internship over the summer anyways. My fiance is working full time at a higher paying job and that is the reason i am so limited to work. Day care isnt much of an option because of cost and family is too far away.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
if you are part time, they set your schedule, not you. they could easily put you on a "on call roster" meaning you aren't getting paid dick, but if they need extra help, you can just come clock in. if they put you on that schedule, I don't think you can collect unemployment. this is specifically why they do that if I remember right. you have to be outright fired, terminated etc in order to receive unemployment benefits.

just my .02

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
It depends on the company. The last fortune 5 I worked for the Part timers pretty much got pick of the schedule if they were in college.

JMoraru

Established Member
if you are part time, they set your schedule, not you. they could easily put you on a "on call roster" meaning you aren't getting paid dick, but if they need extra help, you can just come clock in. if they put you on that schedule, I don't think you can collect unemployment. this is specifically why they do that if I remember right. you have to be outright fired, terminated etc in order to receive unemployment benefits.

just my .02
thats what i fear....but this company "makes" the schedule for full timers. That is, pretty much the reason i never went full time is because once "full time" you pretty much have to be available for any shift they give you on any day of the week.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I work between 65-70 a week and you're complaining about 39!? And yes, I have kids. And yes, I worked 50+ while in college. Man up.

JMoraru

Established Member
I work between 65-70 a week and you're complaining about 39!? And yes, I have kids. And yes, I worked 50+ while in college. Man up.

When did i "complain" about working 39 hours a week? That is as many as i was limited to by the company. There were some random weeks i may have hit 40, but they strictly prevented people from going overtime.So,congrats on your accomplishments big guy, now please walk on.

My issue isnt that i dont WANT to work more. It is that with our current family situation i am not available for the hours i used to be able to work and am currently trying to work it out. This has nothing to do with "maning up".

I think i rambled on too much. My main concern is that if they remove me from the schedule for a few weeks, is this not technically firing me? Or if i open my hours after lets say 4 weeks of no hours, then do i just come back like it never happened?

Last edited:

Jim Seafuse

Try going and talking to the boss about the hours that you are available to be on the schedule. If in fact you are a good employee, most places will work around your schedule if they can make it work for you and them. Remember they pay the unemployment so even if you are fired or terminated, if it is for cause(you can't work when they need you)you are not eligible for enemployment.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Op, sorry for the post I made earlier. I didn't read your post thoroughly and assumed it was just another complaining about work thread. Again, I apologize. I was out of line.

I employee 32 people so I know a little about this subject. Just tread lightly about not being able to work any hours. As long as you make yourself available, even just part time and they terminate you, you can claim unemployment benefits. JBS is spot on with his post on that issue.

If you wind up terminated and the company disputes your unemployment claim, PM me. I can offer you some tips on how to win the hearing and collect. I have been in more then one or two of these myself, just on the other end. Good luck.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Well, about the time i had to seriously restrict my schedule was the time we went under new management whom decided to enforce some scheduling rules. They worked with me for a few months, but i pretty much have been given an ultimatum to open up my hours or I wont be on the schedule. Im considered "part-time", so can they even tell me I HAVE to work on certain days? If they do "take me off the schedule" is this considered effectively firing me and can i file for unemployment? I dont want to lose my job, but as of right now there is not much i can do although i may be able to work a few more days a week coming up soon.

From the sound of it, it sounds like you work for Best Buy. I used to work there full time to help my parents out while I was in college. Go look for work elsewhere. You work WAY to hard in retail and get paid shit for the work that you do. I currently work in a bank now making quite a bit more than I was for Best Buy and the work, while sometimes tedious, is much better than it was when I worked retail (and I actually enjoy going to work now!). Try to stick it out with the company you're with for as long as you can and draft up a resume (if you don't already have one) and start applying with other companies with better hours.

Last edited:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
From the sound of it, it sounds like you work for Best Buy. I used to work there full time to help my parents out while I was in college. Go look for work elsewhere. You work WAY to hard in retail and get paid shit for the work that you do. I currently work in a bank now making quite a bit more than I was for Best Buy and the work, while sometimes tedious, is much better than it was when I worked retail (and I actually enjoy going to work now!). Try to stick it out with the company you're with for as long as you can and draft up a resume (if you don't already have one) and start applying with other companies with better hours.

This^^ you're going to quit when you finish school anyway. Try and get a part time job in the field you're in school for.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
From the sound of it, it sounds like you work for Best Buy. I used to work there full time to help my parents out while I was in college. Go look for work elsewhere. You work WAY to hard in retail and get paid shit for the work that you do.

I've been inside Best Buy quite a few times..I don't think I've ever seen anybody working HARD.

JMoraru

Established Member
Its not Best Buy. Ill see what i can do. We should hear today if my fiance gets a new position and that may be a major factor in determining what i will do.

As far as being a good employee....I think im pretty good. Anyone who has been around for a while knows that im the go-to guy for my department and am also helpful throughout the store. I have people who specifically ask for me because im the only one who never messes their stuff up:lol1:

flS/R

Established Member
I was working at a major hotel/resort in Las Vegas and something like this would regularly come up in December. Because of our hours being cut drastically (some people ended up working 1 day in the month) they were able to claim unemployment benefits for that month. Your state may have a similar ability to do this

Users who are viewing this thread