Engine Over Rev feature?

Karl

Krazy Karl
Established Member
Dont quite understand what the man. means re over rev feature. I have seen the area on the tach red when she is cold, but doesn't it say its yellow/ amber when it is ready, warm, Am i misreading,any ideas. And the car has been plenty warn so that is not a factor.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I have not used (or needed to use) the over rev feature yet- so can't speak to it.

What I do know is that the Red on my tach always begins at 7000rpm and had never seen or noticed it change from that.

Sorry guys

Last edited:

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
I can help too...I got about 700 on mine... basically on cold start the tachometer naturally shows 6250 as redline... after the engine warms up to 160 or 170 degrees the redline de-luminates up to 7000 rpm.... you can hit 7k for up to 8 seconds consecutively before it shuts the 7k rpm ability off and will resume lower rpm redline until you go below 4000 rpm....basically in my opinion the redline is 7000 rpm as long as your not beating the living shit outta the car....

EDIT: the 8 second timer I spoke of only aplies to time above 6250....so if you doing long pulls as long as you shift when you need to it will always be available and wont limit rpm.... the need to drop below 4000 rpm only applies if you went past the 8 second limit...IE to screw this up you need to be between 6k-7krpm for 8 seconds

Last edited:

Karl

Krazy Karl
Established Member
What about in the book where it says " when conditions permit over-revi is indicated on the redline indicator within the tach with a yellow band from 6250-7000 rpm. Am i not getting it?

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
karl, i believe this happens(the yellow band) when the rpms actually enter that range....that being said im on road while doing this and my tach is not what im focused on visually at that point.lol But thats when I think it happens because otherwise it just has a 7k redline....no yellow....Theres a lot of things that couls affect this ...shift tone shift point.ect. maybe it only does that if you dont have an rpm set up on the little svt shift light???

Last edited:

Karl

Krazy Karl
Established Member
Got yah, my eyes aren't on the tach either when i'm hittin it like that!! Makes sence though. I guess I was waiting to see it illuminated stating its ready. Not that you need it.

jonesd

Established Member
why would anyone be above 6250 for 8 seconds except in 4th/5th gear trying to go 200mph plus? Am i missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread