Eradispeed rotor technical question

BBriBro

Established Member
I have been eyeing these for some time now, But I'm not sure about the two piece design. They certainly look great, but with an aluminum hat, a cast iron rotor, and steel bolts, what keeps it together after many heat cycles? With 3 different metals, all expanding at different rates, I don't see how it's possible. I'm sure this works fine on a racecar that gets much more frequent maintenance, but how often do people actually mess with their rotors? I've read about many concerns about cracking due to the cross drilling, but I've never heard any concerns about the bolts stretching (and loosening) when they get hot.

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
I just looked these up at tire-rack.com and they are bad azz. i was wondering the same question so if u get any responses just pm me please they had them priced at 499 for the front.

Silver 03 Cobra

I got one of the first 03's when they came out in '02 no. 21 of all coupes built. There was a one month delivery delay from early May, '02 to June. I ordered a full 99/01 Bassani and the two piece Eradispeeds in April so I would have them when the car got here in May. They ended up on my floor for a month since the car was delayed to June. I installed the Bassani about one hour after I picked up the car since I had owned two other Cobras in the past and had to have the sound. The Eradispeed went on the next day. The car is about to turn over 35k miles. I had to install pads the other day. They were gone. I also noticed some cracking in the holes but the rotors were wearing really nice. I ran 24 inch tall skinnies for awhile on the track. I usually trap 122-124 and I had a hard time stopping this sucker a few times without really heating them up anymore than I really wanted to. With the 24 inch tires, you are adding about 8% to your speed. I know this was a contributing factor to some of my pad wear and cracking. Other than that, they look super. They do rust even where they are zinc washed especially inside the rotor. I sanded mine and clear coated the vented interior and that seems to keep the rusty water down after you wash your wheels.

448_p1893.jpg

BBriBro

Established Member
How bad is the cracking? that concerns me, I really want these rotors, but I'm not sure I want to spend more money on something that will crack. Does anyone know if these rotors are cast with the holes in them, or are they drilled after the fact? Did you go with the stock size, or the +1's ?

vipergts281

Established Member
You don't want slotted AND cross drilled rotors. Pick one or the other.

If you autocross, go with slotted. If it is for daily driving, go with cross drilled......get the ones where the holes were cast in them, not drilled afterward.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by vipergts281
You don't want slotted AND cross drilled rotors. Pick one or the other.....get the ones where the holes were cast in them, not drilled afterward.
Yeah, thats what I'm trying to find out, But if drilled and slotted is so bad, why are so many of them like that? Is it just marketing, cause they sell well? even though they are inferior.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Yeah, thats what I'm trying to find out, But if drilled and slotted is so bad, why are so many of them like that? Is it just marketing, cause they sell well? even though they are inferior.
Yeah, I guess they do it for marketing. They look really good, so then people will buy them. But like I said, you do not want both. Brakes are a VERY important part of your car, so I wouldn't skimp on them.

Users who are viewing this thread