estimate on short block

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
GodStang said:
Is Modular Mustang Racing any good? Is this a good deal? Well it handle a Kenne Bell that is tuned right and cool mods added?

I've been dealing with the owner Mark for over 6 years. He's a great guy. Their website has a page dedicated to short blocks of different displacements and power levels. Your best bet would be to just call him and tell him what you want (a variation of that 5.0 stroker to handle your power) and he'll let you know exactly what needs to go into it. Tell him Ronnie told you to call. :beer:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
GodStang said:
Is Modular Mustang Racing any good? Is this a good deal? Well it handle a Kenne Bell that is tuned right and cool mods added?
Its on par with most notable engine builders. I think their claims of 50hp may be a bit on the high end though.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
Its on par with most notable engine builders. I think their claims of 50hp may be a bit on the high end though.

50 hp for almost .5L of displacement on a blown motor sounds about right..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
GodStang said:

vegas.jpg

I've also seen their 5.4 DOHC single turbo car make dozens of passes. That thing makes some SERIOUS power. Listed at 8.07@168 on their site :rockon:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
50 hp for almost .5L of displacement on a blown motor sounds about right..
Lets look at this a couple different ways. If they are claiming 50hp from 20CI then lets look at a stock engine of 281CI. Divide that by 20 and we get 14 and 14x50hp is 700hp.

Another way we can look at this is if we look at the real numbers we have seen a stock engines. They make approx 375 rwhp, divide that 281CI we see that a stock engine makes approx 1.335 hp per CI. So, by that approximation if we take an additional 20CI multiply that by 1.335 we get 26.7hp.

Now perhaps you will get 50hp from a kv or whipple blown car that was making 600hp prior to the shortblock swap but I think its very misleading to the general population. Heck while we are at it, lets run some approx numbers. start with a 600hp car divide that by 281 and we get 2.14hp per CI. So if we add 20ci multiple that by 2.14 and we still only get 42.8hp.

Since I have a stroker in my car, beleive me, I would love nothing more than to see and additional 50hp from the SB alone, I just dont expect it.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
Lets look at this a couple different ways. If they are claiming 50hp from 20CI then lets look at a stock engine of 281CI. Divide that by 20 and we get 14 and 14x50hp is 700hp.

Another way we can look at this is if we look at the real numbers we have seen a stock engines. They make approx 375 rwhp, divide that 281CI we see that a stock engine makes approx 1.335 hp per CI. So, by that approximation if we take an additional 20CI multiply that by 1.335 we get 26.7hp.

Now perhaps you will get 50hp from a kv or whipple blown car that was making 600hp prior to the shortblock swap but I think its very misleading to the general population. Heck while we are at it, lets run some approx numbers. start with a 600hp car divide that by 281 and we get 2.14hp per CI. So if we add 20ci multiple that by 2.14 and we still only get 42.8hp.

Since I have a stroker in my car, beleive me, I would love nothing more than to see and additional 50hp from the SB alone, I just dont expect it.

I'm not running a stroker so my best guess is just an estimate.

However, in my simple little mind, a larger displacement will gain larger returns than a smaller displacement.

Example: 2 more psi on a 4.6L will do much more than 2 psi on a 2.0L. Or full exhaust on a blown Cobra will do more than a blown Chevy Cobalt :pop:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
I will let you guys know later this week how much I gained from my stroker! I am guessing around 20-30 rwhp and 30-40 rwtq. This is w/o cams. Straight up 302 stroker!

Will

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i think you mean big bore and not stroker

unless they're offset-grinding the rod throws on your crank, or you're buying a new forging.

drkchk03svt said:
I will let you guys know later this week how much I gained from my stroker! I am guessing around 20-30 rwhp and 30-40 rwtq. This is w/o cams. Straight up 302 stroker!

Will

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
I'm not running a stroker so my best guess is just an estimate.

However, in my simple little mind, a larger displacement will gain larger returns than a smaller displacement.

Example: 2 more psi on a 4.6L will do much more than 2 psi on a 2.0L. Or full exhaust on a blown Cobra will do more than a blown Chevy Cobalt :pop:
My numbers were just estimations, its really a lot more complex than that. Just because your adding cubes does not mean you will have a linear increase in power.

As for your example of pumping 2psi into a 4.6 and 2psi into a 2.0 thats not really a fair comparison. The air flow required to build 2psi on a 4.6 is significantly more than it is on a 2.0l.

Another way to look at it is instead of using boost(which is a very poor measurement of power because boost is a measurement of a restriction and not actual airflow), we would look at air mass. If you feed a 2.0L the same amount of air you feed a 4.6L the 2L will likerly make more power because it would likely be getting over 2x the amount of air the 4.6l is.

When you look at power gains from just an engine I assume all else remains equal and if thats the case I doubt you will get 50hp. You will lose boost from a stroker due to the extra engine volume (although you shouldnt lose air mass coming in because blower is spinning the same speed) and you will also gain some HP due to extra cubes but it should be approx in line with what the engine was making per CI prior to stroker. The only way I see a 50hp bumb would be due to the 30hp from the added volume AND increasing boost to gain back the couple PSI that was lost to the larger volume.

One more note is that just adding cubes doesnt mean it can be as efficiently fed either. Its probably not as crucial in a forced induction application since the air is being forced in, but the cam lift and duration should ideally be suited to take advantage of the added cubes.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Rebuild the stock engine with some good .020 pistons, ARP it, and you will be good to go for a long ass time. The thousands you save yourself on unneccesary parts like billet rods can be used towards buying a turbo system. If you have the cash to do the billet stroker, by all means go for it though.

And I checked on Manley H-beam rods...they are $572 from Summit

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...rt=MAN-14042-8&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

drkchk03svt

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i think you mean big bore and not stroker

unless they're offset-grinding the rod throws on your crank, or you're buying a new forging.

HP 302 stroker - complete new block, rods, pistons, crank, everything... I would hope I know what I am talking about. lol

Will

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man ^^^you get the award for bringing back the oldest thread of the week!:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread