Footwell lighting mod...

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Nevermind, I know the battery pack is cut off. I just wish I bought some wire to extending all the wiring. I bought the smaller strip since that's all they had for the rear. I'll post pics tomorrow night, hopefully.

oneSICsvt

Established Member
Hmm That looks good. I might do this with the red interior of my 10th anny. I dont know if it would be too much red tho. Any opinions??

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Hmm That looks good. I might do this with the red interior of my 10th anny. I dont know if it would be too much red tho. Any opinions??

I wish I still had my 10th. Red will look very good. In this cobra, I have grey inserts, so I went with blue. We'll see how it looks tonight.

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Well, I'm in the middle of this project, hid the rear wires under the door sill, front under the PCM panel and snaked everything through the dash. Did a test connection and opened the passenger door and it works. Opened the drivers side and nothing. What's wrong? It's not a door switch issue since the dome light works with it.

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
I wired mine into my Fog Light switch, worked out really well for me

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Just finished up...all working. The lights are not as bright as in the pics but crappy cell phone pics none the less. These were with the dome light shut off.

fwm2.jpg

FWM1.jpg

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Just finished up...all working. The lights are not as bright as in the pics but crappy cell phone pics none the less. These were with the dome light shut off.

fwm2.jpg

FWM1.jpg

Wow. the back seats too. Looks fantastic. I hope they have some a little more whitish, but with a hint of ice blue. Ford had the right idea putting this feature into the new mustangs. Helps if you drop something on the floor at night as well.

Only one caveat. Better keep that carpet clean for passengers. LOL

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Wow. the back seats too. Looks fantastic. I hope they have some a little more whitish, but with a hint of ice blue. Ford had the right idea putting this feature into the new mustangs. Helps if you drop something on the floor at night as well.

Only one caveat. Better keep that carpet clean for passengers. LOL

Everyone is saying it's rice because it's blue instead of white. The pictures were on a cell phone camera and just don't do it justice. It's nowhere near that much blue but enough too make it look good. I thought about white, but feared it might be too bright and then you'd really have too worry about the carpet.

I like it and don't really care about what other people think. I hate rice so if I like this, I know it's not rice.

For others doing this mod, make sure you buy some extra wire to extend the wires. I left the battery on so I could test everything as I progressed... so buy some extra #15 fuses as you're bound to blow a few while doing the wiring.

The rear wiring is run under the center counsel and then again under the passenger seat. Then under the door sill and under the pcm panel and snaked the wires through the dash and up the pillar. As of now, you can see a total of about 2-3" of wiring throughout. I just got tired (midnight) and gave up on making everything tidy. I'll do it someday this weekend.

To snake the wires through the dash, I used a thick piece of soldering wire. Started from the top of the dash down right near the pillar. Once I saw it come out the bottom, I taped all 4 wires to the bottom of it and slid it back up. Worked pretty well.

006 - Thanks for the how to.

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
As opposed to just wiring it correctly and testing it at the end? :dw:

Well it was more of figuring out the best mounting spot, etc. And do you really want to pull all the interior panels off again to get to the hidden wires? I think the only time I blew a fuse actually was when I had to make a better splice and grazed the inner wire.

whiplash306

Established Member
This looks GREAT! I had this done on my old '87 GT and loved it. So when splicing into the wires, for a complete electrical dunce, how do you know which wire (black or black with white stripe) needs to be mated with which wire from the purchased lights? Also, has anyone tried any sort of mod for the map lights on the 'verts?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
This looks GREAT! I had this done on my old '87 GT and loved it. So when splicing into the wires, for a complete electrical dunce, how do you know which wire (black or black with white stripe) needs to be mated with which wire from the purchased lights? Also, has anyone tried any sort of mod for the map lights on the 'verts?

Solid black mates to the solid black wiring with the LED strips. The one with a stripe mates to the red.

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
Where is a good wire to splice into on a vert to do this? I've always wanted to however I never knew where a good wire was to splice into that would make them come on with my lights, without having to run it too far

whiplash306

Established Member
Where is a good wire to splice into on a vert to do this? I've always wanted to however I never knew where a good wire was to splice into that would make them come on with my lights, without having to run it too far

I would imagine the wiring would be the same vert to coupe. Although, don't take my word as being the absolute truth.

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
What were those wires coming down the A pillar? If they were for tweeters then no, my car doesn't have any, if they're for the side view mirrors thats fine because I never really move mine any.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
What were those wires coming down the A pillar? If they were for tweeters then no, my car doesn't have any, if they're for the side view mirrors thats fine because I never really move mine any.

Those two wires are what provide the map light on a convertible. (The two lights that sit under the rear view mirror)..and as you can see from my avatar to the left, my car is a convertible. ;)

I think if you read it again well enough, it makes sense because the footwell lighting mods as I mentioned comes on and off with the interior map lights.

Very simple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread