Ford quality better than Honda......

Cobranator

Established Member
Although I don't put much faith in the initial quality surveys becasue I think they are quite meaningless as I prefer to look at quality of a vehicle over a long term such as 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now this is really good news for Ford right now when they needed the most.

Study: Ford Surpasses Honda in Initial Quality - Yahoo! Autos Canada

- Ford surpasses Honda in initial quality and remains in a statistical tie at the top with Toyota.

- Ford's initial vehicle quality improved 5 percent over last year.

- Ford customer satisfaction continues to improve and is equal to Toyota and Honda.

- Ford has five segment leaders: Ford Mustang, Taurus, Taurus X and Ranger, and Mercury Milan.

DEARBORN, Mich., April 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), continuing its rapid quality improvement, surpassed Honda in initial vehicle quality for the first time and reached new levels of customer satisfaction with vehicle quality, a new survey shows.

Ford is also statistically tied with Toyota at the top of the industry when it comes to initial vehicle quality, according to the 2009 U.S. Global Quality Research System (GQRS) survey conducted quarterly for Ford by RDA Group of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

"This is truly a significant accomplishment for us," said Bennie Fowler, Ford group vice president, Global Quality. "Honda and Toyota have claimed bragging rights for years, but now we are seeing our hard work pay off. It's evident in study after study."

The latest GQRS survey measured 2009 model year vehicle initial quality in two categories: the number of "things gone wrong," and customer satisfaction with vehicle quality in the first three months of ownership.

In the first quarter of 2009, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles saw things gone wrong fall by 5 percent to 1,228 per 1,000 vehicles, significantly better than Honda's 1,422 things gone wrong per 1,000 vehicles and statistically equal to Toyota's 1,150.

In addition, the survey shows that Ford Lincoln Mercury improved two percentage points to 79 percent in customer satisfaction with vehicle quality, which puts Ford's domestic brands in a tie with Toyota and Honda for industry leadership.

"Ford's commitment to quality is really paying off as they continue to rival Honda and Toyota on both initial quality and customer satisfaction with the quality," said Donald Pietrowski, president, RDA Group.

The following models led their respective segments in the survey:

-- Ford Mustang - initial quality and customer satisfaction for sports
cars
-- Ford Taurus - initial quality for large cars
-- Ford Taurus X - initial quality for crossover utilities
-- Mercury Milan - initial quality for midsize cars

-- Ford Ranger - initial quality for compact pickups

The new 2009 Ford F-150 recorded quality levels that equate to less than one problem per vehicle, as did the Taurus, Taurus X, Fusion, Milan, and Edge.

"We are energized by the continuous improvement we are seeing on both initial vehicle quality and customer satisfaction," said Fowler. "This survey validates the hard work and dedication to quality from Ford employees, suppliers and dealers. We will keep the momentum going as we strive to become the clear global quality leader."

The GQRS study is conducted on a quarterly basis with scores assessed from survey responses collected from owners of vehicles purchased within specific short-term time frames.

New vehicle owners are asked to report any defects or issues as well as rate their satisfaction with vehicle quality on a scale of 1 to 10 across an array of vehicle systems and features.

Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company's wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit [url=http://www.ford.com]Ford Motor Company: Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids, Parts - Ford[/url].

SOURCE Ford Motor Company

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
no real point in listing the ranger since its pretty much the ONLY compact pickup on the market, LOL. look for an overall negative tone in this thread though. while initial quality used to be used to brag about how the japs were so much better, now that the ford is equal in IQ the stat is downplayed as much as possible.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
There's is still a good reason to look at initial quality. If one car is having more problems than the other within the first few months then I don't think the car with more problems is going to cure it's problems over time, it's probably gonna get worse as the vehicle wears.

Of course long term tests are just as useful, but my main point is that initial quality shouldn't necessarily be dismissed as meaningless cause it's still an indicator of improving or declining quality in a brand.

So this is good news for Ford and GM too.

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
I'm sure some one will come in and try anything to prove this wrong. Go Ford.

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
no real point in listing the ranger since its pretty much the ONLY compact pickup on the market, LOL. look for an overall negative tone in this thread though. while initial quality used to be used to brag about how the japs were so much better, now that the ford is equal in IQ the stat is downplayed as much as possible.

So true.

Person 1: Honda has best initial quality!
Person 2: Oh, Ford just passed them.
Person 1: Who cares about initial quality anyways!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I don't care what the survey says, anyone in their right mind knows that a Honda Civic w/V-tech and a fart can is better and faster than a pullied Cobra! :-D

mustangless

Established Member
:rockon:

I was reading the wsj last week about Ford's high quality. Guy said he was still buying a Camry because Toyota had better quality in the past. :shrug:

earl lee

Established Member
Doesnt fix the bad press that is still known with the ford name. You mention ford small cars and the horrors of the tempo, pinto etc come to mind.

Toyota and honda nvr had a pinto model period. That is the stigma with all domestic passenger cars.

rudyyr

Established Member
I visited the ford dealership a while back and I gotta say..their quality has definitely improved(in terms of interiors and build)..they have come a long ways..keep it up ford and i wish Gm the best as well, cuz it would suck to see them go

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
doesnt change my opnion. for DDs the taurus and/or the fusion will always be what i would choose if i could get and afford a second car right now. Its just good to see for turning it around unlike some of its counter parts in detroit.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I was reading the wsj last week about Ford's high quality. Guy said he was still buying a Camry because Toyota had better quality in the past. :shrug:

It's going to be hard to change the people's minds since the majority of the public still believe "American cars are bad" and "Jap cars last forever".

I've lost track of how many times I've heard people say that. I have a friend who bought a Toyota a couple years ago and the thing is already falling apart at 15,000 miles. Yet, he remains a loyal Toyota customer. :shrug:

I think if Toyota made a steaming pile of dog crap and slapped four wheels on it, people would still buy it because they're brainwashed.

x0lizzbeth0x

Nada.
Established Member
I still like Hondas better truthfully, at least the new accord V6 EX-L for a daily driver...I think Fords are geared more towards "rugged" driving..But looking at their showroom, I do enjoy Lincolns and Volvos...gorg. Are we including them in Ford?

Users who are viewing this thread