Forged Internals for a 5.0L

95cobby

Established Member
What/where is a good place to get forged internals for a 5.0L? I'm gonna have to get the car looked at to see what the ticking noise is from and, god I hope not, but if something is broke I'm getting forged internals and a FTI cam and upping the boost.

Still looking into internals and what I should get if I need to. Let me know what you recommend.

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
Summit has everything you need. If you get lucky, once in a while JE throws up a few different kinds of their forged pistons up on ebay. I have even seen one of their forged pistons and rod kits for $500.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
quadcammer said:
do you want to half ass it or do it right?

WTF kind of question is that? :poke:

Look at his mods..... :read:

Keep us posted on the ticking noise Ron. I have the same type of noise that i can't seem to trace. When I replaced my cam and removed the upper, i had my mechanic take a look to see if he could see anything out of the unusual. He wasn't able to and i still have the ticking-type of noise and it's bothering me. That's all i can hear when passing next to a building or something. Damn it drives me nuts to hear that sound. :mj: I plan on going forged in the future and probably using Manley rods and pistons. Alot left to decide on. :read: :read: :read:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
raven69david said:
WTF kind of question is that? :poke:

Look at his mods..... :read:

Keep us posted on the ticking noise Ron. I have the same type of noise that i can't seem to trace. When I replaced my cam and removed the upper, i had my mechanic take a look to see if he could see anything out of the unusual. He wasn't able to and i still have the ticking-type of noise and it's bothering me. That's all i can hear when passing next to a building or something. Damn it drives me nuts to hear that sound. :mj: I plan on going forged in the future and probably using Manley rods and pistons. Alot left to decide on. :read: :read: :read:
im looking at his mods. what am i supposed to be seeing that answers this question. Does he want to build a 700rwhp monster or a 480rwhp street car? since you are all knowing, please tell me.

it makes a huge difference. the block is iffy above 500rwhp, and no stud girdles don't do dick. so if he wants more power then that, its time to get either a dart, world, r302, a4 or boss block. if he wants serious power, speed pro/trw pistons probably won't cut it, but they should be ok with 480rwhp.

see where im going.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
quadcammer said:
i'm looking at his mods. what am i supposed to be seeing that answers this question. Does he want to build a 700rwhp monster or a 480rwhp street car? since you are all knowing, please tell me.
He just installed his S-trim and is probably looking for a cam to go along with his engine mods. I actually read most of his posts so i know more or less where he's going with his car.

If he wanted to go with 700 rwhp he would have gone turbo; it's also a money pit to take on such an install. Since he's a family man i'm thinking he wants a sub 500rwhp car, as i do, as that's the upper limit of the block. We both know this and i'm sure that's where he's going. It would be a waste to try and make more without building up the bottom end. Always good to build the bottom end up on a 10 year old car which i'm sure is a given. I actually read his posts cuz he has alot of informative things to say and does great write-ups when he does his own installs. I'm guessing he's aiming for some good #'s less than 500rwhp on the basis of what i've read thus far. That's why i didn't think he'd be going above 500rwhp.

And your first post is still rediculous and insulting to him and others who do not take short cuts on a blown car with his/our mods. Others may go this route but he's never indicated on any of his posts that he would like to install an inferior component to try and get-by and risk blowing his investment. :bored:

Quadcammer

Established Member
he has a stock motor and an s trim. some people want to half ass the motor since they don't feel like spending the money. its the difference between stock head bolts, stock main bolts and the arp stuff. the difference between a 4032 piston or a 2618 piston. the difference between an I beam or H beam rod. if he is aiming for under 500rwhp, then he can half ass it and be fine.

a non half assed setup would be a dart block, sonny bryant crank, oliver billet rods, and CP pistons. Combined with afr heads, a decent intake and something other than an s trim.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Illson 94 SVT said:
yea you wanna try summit racing,got my forged rebuild kit for 419 with the oil pump included. very happy but not installed......
there is a reason its that cheap. you get what you pay for.

Illson 94 SVT

Banned
quadcammer said:
there is a reason its that cheap. you get what you pay for.

Boy you sure are frickin nasty to people around here. I cant ever seem to find a nice post by you, ever. By the way it was a rebuild kit, not an entire forged internals set, i told him that beacuse maybe he wanted to get 2 birds killed with one stone on gettin a rebuild kit AND some forged pistons. and if he goes the extra mile for 489 he gets some other kool stuff. BTW i bought a 25 dollar CAI off ebay for my cobra and it goes THROUGH my fender well like a real CAI should. Still works fine, maybe scratches a little easy but works fine. Moral of the story: Sometimes you CAN get a good deal for cheap. just not all the time.

And why do you have this thing on rippin on me cause i gotta go the cheaper route? First you insult me on my cam purchase of 109.00 (in all fairness i did say i got it cheap, but not before you started with me) then theres the fact i went with a 5.0 and now your saying i bought a crap product cause i got it cheap? sounds to me like someones payin to much for parts on there 4.6 and even more IF there not doing the work themselfs. Last time i checked, your messing with 4 cams and not building a forged 5.0, were as there are forged pistons along with a rebuild kit sitting in my back seat awaiting the engine lift in the mail to be put in. BTW, for the orginal poster of this, DSS is a great place to get forged pieaces for your motor from top to bottom i just figured you would be needing a rebuild kit to rebuild the motor so why not get both for a GOOD (not CHEAP) price?

blk96SVT

Established Member
Illson 94 SVT said:
Boy you sure are frickin nasty to people around here. I cant ever seem to find a nice post by you, ever. By the way it was a rebuild kit, not an entire forged internals set, i told him that beacuse maybe he wanted to get 2 birds killed with one stone on gettin a rebuild kit AND some forged pistons. and if he goes the extra mile for 489 he gets some other kool stuff. BTW i bought a 25 dollar CAI off ebay for my cobra and it goes THROUGH my fender well like a real CAI should. Still works fine, maybe scratches a little easy but works fine. Moral of the story: Sometimes you CAN get a good deal for cheap. just not all the time.

And why do you have this thing on rippin on me cause i gotta go the cheaper route? First you insult me on my cam purchase of 109.00 (in all fairness i did say i got it cheap, but not before you started with me) then theres the fact i went with a 5.0 and now your saying i bought a crap product cause i got it cheap? sounds to me like someones payin to much for parts on there 4.6 and even more IF there not doing the work themselfs. Last time i checked, your messing with 4 cams and not building a forged 5.0, were as there are forged pistons along with a rebuild kit sitting in my back seat awaiting the engine lift in the mail to be put in. BTW, for the orginal poster of this, DSS is a great place to get forged pieaces for your motor from top to bottom i just figured you would be needing a rebuild kit to rebuild the motor so why not get both for a GOOD (not CHEAP) price?

And you are an idiot if you think quadcammer never has anything "nice" to say. I think he is one of the most informative/knowledgeable people on this site. He has helped me out a lot. And what is your deal with the almighty 5.0's. They are not the almighty God of motors. And I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for some forged rods and pistons and expect them to last in my car. If you are going to tear your shortblock down, why not do it right the first time and with all the supporting parts.

Quadcammer

Established Member
first, i never said anything abotu your 109 dollar cam.

i come off as abrasive, but in the end, i answer the question as best i can.

the summit rebuild kit uses cheap parts, hence it doesn't sell for much. lower quality parts cost less. Unless there is some crazy sale, a used part, or some other sort of wild circumstance, you aren't gonna find a really high quality part for cheap.

i know from experience that if you go cheap, you will end up doing it again. im trying to prevent that from happening and sometimes you folks need it to be a little more forceful before you understand, but again, it seems like you don't want to listen, so do what you want.

thanks Tim (god i hope thats right)

Cheers.

Illson 94 SVT

Banned
blk96SVT said:
And you are an idiot if you think quadcammer never has anything "nice" to say. I think he is one of the most informative/knowledgeable people on this site. He has helped me out a lot. And what is your deal with the almighty 5.0's. They are not the almighty God of motors. And I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for some forged rods and pistons and expect them to last in my car. If you are going to tear your shortblock down, why not do it right the first time and with all the supporting parts.

Now you are the idiot beacuse i NEVER said i knew were to get forged pistons AND connecting rods for 500 dollars. I said i knew were to get a REBUILD KIT WITH FORGED PISTONS FOR 419.00 and that was the base kit you coud get extreme with it if you wanted. The pistons that came in my kit are the same ones they sell out of the mag with the little lighting bolt on the side and my bearings are the same as the ones they sell on the DSS site with there parts. As for my 5.0, i think it is the almighty motor and always will do to its ease of moddification, for christs sake im 19 and rebuilding the thing by myself in my backyard, pretty sure your not gona find 4.6s like that. Why do you think the 4.6 is so great? exactly its your prefrence on the 2. o and why would he want to tear down a stock 5.0 block and rebuild it with all forged parts if the parts can take 1000hp+ but the block could only take 500-600 and thats pushing it? might as well save up for a Dart or World block with everything in it, but i doubt he has 2500 to drop on a short block. and as for you QuadCammer, i understand what u mean now just i had 2 not so nice encounters with you.

95cobby

Established Member
Not gonna put forged internals in it now. Would rather buy a new shortblock and go that route. I've been looking at DSS and CHP blocks and they seem pretty good. I'm shooting to be in the 500rwhp area with the car.

Illson 94 SVT

Banned
yea thats what i would have done if i had the money, speaking of which you better have a lot on you to do that. You can get 500 RWHP out of a stock block no problem and probally never have a problem. if your gonna get an outrageous short block you should go higher the 500rwhp in my opinion, some of those short blocks can handle thousands of hp. Gotta piss off the 03/04s and the LS1s :)

SVTCobra3212

Banned
95cobby said:
Not gonna put forged internals in it now. Would rather buy a new shortblock and go that route. I've been looking at DSS and CHP blocks and they seem pretty good. I'm shooting to be in the 500rwhp area with the car.

that would be the best route to go. 331 or 347 with a set of afr's :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread