Found the cure to our alternator woes!!!

MrSwa

Established Member
Wondering if there is any update to this. I have suspected my alt was going out since I bought my car, and last night I believe it did. When I tried to go WOT it hesitated then stuttered. I immediately let out and turned everything off just trying to get home (radio off, air cond off). When I was like 1/2 mile from home, the radio wasn't even showing the clock. It made it, but I don't want to drive it again until this issue is resolved. Is a Start-N-Charge unit with a larger pulley the way to go? I'm not sure if the alt on it now has a larger pulley or not (need to check this out), but my car has a 6lb lower on it. I am going to look into some ducting work to try and help keep it cool. Any more information on the "wiring mod" would also be helpful. So far this sounds kind of like a scam, but it is an interesting thought.

Freakingstang

Established Member
My car has 36K on it and when I had it tuned, the tuner reccomended I put a new alternator on it because it was dropping voltage above 4K on the dyno

I put a FORD reman alt on it from tousely and it lasted a whole 3100miles before it left me stranded.. I shift at 6500...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
My car has 36K on it and when I had it tuned, the tuner reccomended I put a new alternator on it because it was dropping voltage above 4K on the dyno

I put a FORD reman alt on it from tousely and it lasted a whole 3100miles before it left me stranded.. I shift at 6500...

Gotta love these cars sometimes :cuss:

Blown347

Established Member
aternator going out?

recently i have noticed my volts dropping down quick, up and down from 13.1-13.5 and my battery light came on today. in the mornings after it drops that low they will be at 13.8-14.0 until i drive a bit. the alt is about 2-3 yrs old and the battery is almost a yr old. i am on my 3rd alt now. if this is my alt going out is there a better higher amp one that will last longer than stock ones?

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Try Jamie at [email protected] his shop burned down awhile back but as far as I know hes back up and running. By far the best alternator for our cars that are out there.

EDIT by Jimmysidecarr: -->Thanks Tim!!!
From Reisch Performance website:

http://www.reischeperformance.com/

Start 'n Charge Performance Alternators
Jamie McClinton - Owner
startncharge.jpg

for late model Mustang and Lightning
Assembled with the absolute highest quality U.S.
made components currently available!
$250-$300 depending upon app. and amperage
Call (509) 447-0289 to order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blown347

Established Member
trying to get some info and see if this is my alternator before i go buy one. after the car sits over night i have 13.0- 14.1 volts but driving 15 mins later is goes down fast to low 13's. if i stop and go it will dip down around 12.8.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Usually when your battery light goes on it's your alternator. All too common with these cars unfortunately. Jamie's Start N Charge is highly recommended.

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
IMHO if this thread is going to be made sticky, its title needs to be changed from "aternator" to "alternator"

03yellow

Established Member
Don't go to a parts chain; they are not 130 amp alts. A higher voltage alt will run even hotter and go out faster. Not sure if you can still get a start n charge alt haven't heard from him. I done every alt you can get except the start n charge. So far the ford alt is the best.
Any know if the guy at start n charge is around?

Blown347

Established Member
so if i have a stock lower, I should get the 3.2 alt pulley to help it from over spining?

i would like to know this as well. but also when my car sits and idles for about 10 mins the volts slowly drop down. would this be underspinning?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
With the Metco alternator pulley, is it going worth while if you have a smaller lower pulley?

Because I am writing this it will probably fail now, but I havn't had one alternator related problem. I am still on my stock one from 2004.

Tick.. tock.. tick.. tock.. tick... :-D

so if i have a stock lower, I should get the 3.2 alt pulley to help it from over spining?

At this point in time, I am still OK with my OE replacement with a 3.2 Metco pulley on a stock lower.
I am however going to add some ducting and hope that it will live even longer.

I do think that ducting and an underdrive alt pulley are a very good idea and worth the time and effort, even on a stock lower car.

Users who are viewing this thread