Front end Noise??

wildmantttt

Designated Driver
Established Member
I just bought my 97 cobra and I have noticed a clunk or ping sound from the front end.
I check the tie-rods, ball-joints, springs, wheel bearing ect.. and everything seem tight.:shrug:
It only happens when I hit a bump with the front left wheel. I figured ball-joint, but it sounds too high pitched (and the ball joint did not have any play in it).
I was wondering if anyone had simmilar problems.
The roads where I drive can be quite rough and I was thinking that this could be a normal noise due to the higher performance suspension (stiffer) on the cobra.
Any input would be great thanks!!

wildmantttt

Designated Driver
Established Member
no coil-overs (maybe in the future though :banana:)

I'm not sure but the only mod looks to be camber plates. The springs, control arms, ect all look to be factory.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
I had a phantom clunk for years!!
Replaced the caster/camber plates, struts, lower control arms, springs.

The thing that eventually solved my clunk was when badass98svt told me to get MM solid front rack bushings. Best 30.00 I ever spent!!

EDIT: I had a different type of noise with the Steeda caster/camber plates, got the MM 4-bolt CC plates and that clanging noise went away

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Yes.

All major auto parts stores have them availible.

Do not freak out though if the little rubber piece isn't there.
It will still work fine.

Got ya. Thanks. I just replaced my pads and the brakes are still squeeking for whatever reason. Hoping some new rattle clips will alleviate the problem...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Got ya. Thanks. I just replaced my pads and the brakes are still squeeking for whatever reason. Hoping some new rattle clips will alleviate the problem...

Grease the ends of the pads where they rest in the brackets with synthetic caliper lube.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Possible after re-reading. I only saw the "Ping" not the "Clunk" the first time.
lol

Yeah depending on who/when certain C/C plates were made the bearings had flaws in them which ended up in failure. Earlier steeda's and the knock off MM's were big in that. Many others did also.

Users who are viewing this thread