FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Never said it retained the full Ford factory warranty. What I said it it was covered by FRPP 3/36 warranty.

Per the FRPP website:
Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a late model Ford vehicles by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer or Shelby Automotive, Inc, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern. Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

D.T.R

Established Member
The pinging I experienced was very subtle and gone very quickly. I am not even sure I heard it, to be honest. However, to be safe, I enabled the octane adjust feature. I always use 93 and I have been sticking to Shell gasoline lately. Apparently, Shell 93 tests out at close to 97. The tune is designed to retain the knock sensors and pull timing at the onset of ping. FRPP has motors with over 200,000 miles still spinning away on this tune. It is not dangerous.

I have 93 here in Louisiana as well. See above.

You probably could. I don't know if there would be any benefit, however.

You must run 91, and I would not run less than 93.

It won't void your warranty if installed by a dealer. If you lose a motor and the Pro-Cal tune is to blame, FRPP's warranty kicks in and covers it...not Ford's. Mufflers and drop in air-cleaners will not void your warranty.

Good info. What kind of power can you expect from this tune + air filter + mufflers ?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Good info. What kind of power can you expect from this tune + air filter + mufflers ?

There are not alot of dyno tests out there on this tune, sadly. You are not going to make as much as a more aggressive tune from Lund, BAMA, Livernois, Steeda, etc. However, you will notice a difference for sure if you load it up. To me, and this is all SOTP impressions and therefore prone to B.S., my car feels about 30 HP stronger with the 3 inch X pipe, resonator delete, Roush axle back and Pro-Cal.

However, the Pro-Cal really assists with driveability...and that is where it shines. You will have a nice jump in torque way down low, better throttle response, less computer tricks as you wind the motor up, and an elevated redline.

Also, this tune has gone 12 flat at 116 with no other mods aside from drag radials, a shifter and mufflers. This was on a base model with 3.73s and a 5 speed. Pretty decent times, if you can replicate them.

Mike

bucolic

Established Member
I like this tune.

Personally, I don't see how anyone could run less than 93 (unless they can't get it-CA) in a performance engine like the Coyote. What do you hope to gain by saving pennies?

I'm wondering if this tune works with a CAI (Airaid, Steeda, etc.) instead of the recommended K&N panel in the stock airbox.

Thanks for the info in a great thread!

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
2011MustangGTDynoSheetColor.jpg

This is my dyno. Nothing else to add power but this.

I believe it is probably good for 10 HP and it moves torque to more usable RPM ranges. Removes skip shift and keeps a warranty which is why I got it.

D.T.R

Established Member
There are not alot of dyno tests out there on this tune, sadly. You are not going to make as much as a more aggressive tune from Lund, BAMA, Livernois, Steeda, etc. However, you will notice a difference for sure if you load it up. To me, and this is all SOTP impressions and therefore prone to B.S., my car feels about 30 HP stronger with the 3 inch X pipe, resonator delete, Roush axle back and Pro-Cal.

However, the Pro-Cal really assists with driveability...and that is where it shines. You will have a nice jump in torque way down low, better throttle response, less computer tricks as you wind the motor up, and an elevated redline.

Also, this tune has gone 12 flat at 116 with no other mods aside from drag radials, a shifter and mufflers. This was on a base model with 3.73s and a 5 speed. Pretty decent times, if you can replicate them.

Mike

Thank you for the info man.

D.T.R

Established Member
2011MustangGTDynoSheetColor.jpg

This is my dyno. Nothing else to add power but this.

I believe it is probably good for 10 HP and it moves torque to more usable RPM ranges. Removes skip shift and keeps a warranty which is why I got it.

Awesome. Is that on 4th or 5th gear?

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
does anyone know if a pro-cal can be re-sold and a new sandisk sent from FRPP for another vin? I have one sitting on the shelf and would be glad to make one of you guys a hell of a deal on it. I was sent a email from FRPP offering $75 on a re-buy, I'll keep it before I'd do that...

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I'm wondering if this tune works with a CAI (Airaid, Steeda, etc.) instead of the recommended K&N panel in the stock airbox.

Thanks for the info in a great thread!

I think S197 ran his with a Roush CAI. I am sure any CAI that does not require a tune would be ok. The question is...does it make more power than the K&N drop-in, or is it just a noise/looks deal?

Thank you for the info man.

No problem!

does anyone know if a pro-cal can be re-sold and a new sandisk sent from FRPP for another vin? I have one sitting on the shelf and would be glad to make one of you guys a hell of a deal on it. I was sent a email from FRPP offering $75 on a re-buy, I'll keep it before I'd do that...

IIRC, if you can find another car with the same series of PCM, you can install it on that car with no changes after it is removed from yours. This is what the instructions stated.

Mike

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
IIRC, if you can find another car with the same series of PCM, you can install it on that car with no changes after it is removed from yours. This is what the instructions stated.

Mike[/QUOTE]

PM me if anybody is interested in the PRO-CAL and filter...

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
beats me but ford is now scanning every vehicle supposedly for even a tire leak. Be weary

Yeah, this is troubling. I am overdue for my first oil change. I was considering taking it to the dealer, but I am certain they will hook it up and scan the PCM for everything. Plus, they will have it up on the lift and can see what has been done. Ford is really going to put people off and lose service money with these tactics.

Mike

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
One of the biggest factors for me even purchasing this (or any) tune was daily driving. It has smoothed out the lower/mid range making normal accelaration much more pleasant. That with the addtional Peak/WOT changes were enough for me.

Grant808

Established Member
Thanks for this thread. That's most of what I'm looking for...

But does it help when blipping the throttle for a rev match or double-clutch downshift?

I'll probably get one soon for the GT.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

But does it help when blipping the throttle for a rev match or double-clutch downshift?

Yep, seems to have helped with that as well. I noticed yesterday that the RPM's seem to fall a little quicker once the clutch is pushed in.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member

Throttle response is greatly improved. Rev matches much easier as there is no delay.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

Yes, they are much easier on the downside, and even on the upside.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread