Fun at the Real Street Drags yesterday!

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
We were blessed with incredible weather (for us anyway!) yesterday at GLD for the Real Street Drags event. We run this event with the ET boards shut off, but you still get a timeslip. Early in the day the ET boards were still on, and I was just kind of watching the action. Guy with a beautiful black Viper RT10 was running in the 11.30 range at 125 MPH or so.
As the day wore on, we got to the "RSD" part of the event and this guy and his buddies stuck around to race some more with the ET boards off.
I asked him if he wanted to line up with my GT500. He was friendly, but he said "You SURE about that? how fast is that thing?
I just smiled and said "you'll find out soon enough, right?"
I figured he'd win but it looked like it might be fun. He agreed.
I "only" ran an 11.41@124 but he finished back a good three-4 car lengths.
I don't know what he ran (we cut the slips in half at RSD so you can't see the other guy's ET) but I asked him afterward and he just said "It was my worst run of the day!"
I have to give this guy props for being a good sport though. He said "I am totally suprised by that car, I'd have never expected that, I'm usually pulling away hard by the 1/8 mile on cars like that!"
I did get a decent holeshot on him and I think he spun, because we were pretty much going the same speed down the track; I wasn't pulling away and he wasn't catching up. It looked good from the crowd though, or so I'm told. :thumbsup:
I lost to a trailered 1969 Charger by an eyelash and whooped on a '55 Chevy that was running 11.60's or so. (At least 5 car lead)
All in all a fun day at the track. On this date last year it had snowed already. 70's felt awesome!!!

You locals shoulda been there dammit!!! I was all by lonesome as far as Shelbys go. :(

Users who are viewing this thread