Gas Cap

Ratchet27

Established Member
I tried searching for this but came up with nothing.

I'm considering getting a locking gas cap for my GT500. It tends to bother me that there is not much from stopping someone from dumping something in my gas tank.

Is there a reason to not do this? Did Ford design the car without a cap for a reason?

Please advise

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I purchased a locking gas cap from the local Advance Auto parts. It was pretty reasonably priced and works great.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I purchased a locking gas cap from the local Advance Auto parts. It was pretty reasonably priced and works great.

I believe the 2010+ are different, they have no cap at all, just a sealing flap on the gas door. Or was the 07-09 the same?

I too look forward to hearing about this issue.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
That function doesn't sound familiar 2010Shelby. The 2007-2009 GT500's have a cap that is attached to the OEM fuel door by a strap. You can open the fuel door and the cap will still be sealed. You then turn the cap and unscrew it to expose the reservoir for pouring.

bull3441

Established Member
they sell locking caps that work with the 2010's+. a few local guys put them on.

bull3441

Established Member
That function doesn't sound familiar 2010Shelby. The 2007-2009 GT500's have a cap that is attached to the OEM fuel door by a strap. You can open the fuel door and the cap will still be sealed. You then turn the cap and unscrew it to expose the reservoir for pouring.
yeah but the OP has a 2011, no gas cap.

bull3441

Established Member
I tried searching for this but came up with nothing.

I'm considering getting a locking gas cap for my GT500. It tends to bother me that there is not much from stopping someone from dumping something in my gas tank.

Is there a reason to not do this? Did Ford design the car without a cap for a reason?

Please advise
Moss Mustang has caps for 2010+

Ratchet27

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies... So, I'm guessing since Ford sells one there shouldn't be an issue with putting one on there. Locking gas cap here I come.

bull3441

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies... So, I'm guessing since Ford sells one there shouldn't be an issue with putting one on there. Locking gas cap here I come.
not at all. cheaper Ford to put a flap in rather a gas cap.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I figured it was them just being cheap but I wasnt sure. Who would think that I would get a gas cap with a 45k car :shrug: Guess that cost extra nowdays.

LMAO.gif

niceguyyy01

Established Member
I actually like not having a gas cap to flap down and smack the paint. To throw codes when the seals deteriorate. To give the inspection person ANOTHER reason to try to stick it to me.

But I do understand about security. But doesn't the fuel door lock when the car is locked? Mine does. So I guess if you leave your doors unlocked, then the gas door is too.... and venerable.

Black Sex

Established Member
I actually like not having a gas cap to flap down and smack the paint. To throw codes when the seals deteriorate. To give the inspection person ANOTHER reason to try to stick it to me.

But I do understand about security. But doesn't the fuel door lock when the car is locked? Mine does. So I guess if you leave your doors unlocked, then the gas door is too.... and venerable.

+1 on no gas cap.
I don't think the car has to be locked. I tried pushing mine open with my finger and it was a no go. I know it says if you put anything other than gas in the tank you are supposed to the "supplied" funnel. There must be a reason behind it. Does anyone know if the magic funnel is metal? If it's metal, that might have something to do with unlocking the flap. :shrug:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
From talking with the dealer it has a safety feature that will only allow for the metal gas pump to go in. A regular plastic gas can won't work, I bought the one from ford that has a key for around 35 I think. Just make sure you leave key the for it in your car or on the key chain.

Users who are viewing this thread