Gears??

spincobra03

Established Member
I see alot of shelby owners posting that they have changed out to aftermarket gears. Iv'e searched around and cant seem to get a clear answer. Is there something wrong with the stock ones? I keep hearing that the aftermarket ones are making noise as well. What are the major advantages with aftermarket as opposed to stock? Any info would be helpful as I am in the market for a GT 500 and trying to decide if the one I buy should have aftermarket gears or not?

Leonard 95

Established Member
Going with 3.73 will give you better acceleration, different shift points and less clutch chatter when taking off. I was very pleased after installing the 3.73, I went with the ford motorsport ones, they do have some noise to them even with .008 backlash. Just part of it though, doesn't bother me, just turn the radio up and give it more throttle! :)

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
going with 3.73 will give you better acceleration, different shift points and less clutch chatter when taking off. I was very pleased after installing the 3.73, i went with the ford motorsport ones, they does have some noise to them even with .008 backlash. Just part of it though, doesn't bother me, just turn the radio up and give it more throttle! :)

x2

WA 2 FST

Established Member
I'm debating this swap as well, but given that I do not drag race my car on slicks, I think it may create too much wheelspin on the street. Right now at my power level (575+rwhp) and Nitto DRs, things hook up pretty well.

Obviously for optimum times at the strip, slicks and 3.73s would be the ticket.

Leonard 95

Established Member
I'm debating this swap as well, but given that I do not drag race my car on slicks, I think it may create too much wheelspin on the street. Right now at my power level (575+rwhp) and Nitto DRs, things hook up pretty well.

Obviously for optimum times at the strip, slicks and 3.73s would be the ticket.

I was pretty worried also, I don't have 575rwhp, but 530 range, but it still hooks pretty good with et street drag radials.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I see alot of shelby owners posting that they have changed out to aftermarket gears. Iv'e searched around and cant seem to get a clear answer. Is there something wrong with the stock ones? I keep hearing that the aftermarket ones are making noise as well. What are the major advantages with aftermarket as opposed to stock? Any info would be helpful as I am in the market for a GT 500 and trying to decide if the one I buy should have aftermarket gears or not?

what it really comes down to is what is you goal for the car and what blower an HP/TQ do you expect. i think if you are going to making 700HP plus you prolly better off staying with 3.31 or 3.55 gears, if your in the under 600Hp 3.55-3.73 gears are your best bet all around gear

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
what it really comes down to is what is you goal for the car and what blower an HP/TQ do you expect. i think if you are going to making 700HP plus you prolly better off staying with 3.31 or 3.55 gears, if your in the under 600Hp 3.55-3.73 gears are your best bet all around gear

Only asking because I see your sig-

It looks like you have a TVS, no cats, 3.73's and a 3" cat back? Does the MPH in your signature reflect these mods?

I'm running nothing but a out-of-the-box TVS and CJ throttle body with a ford tune. Running the stock 3.31 gears, full factory exhaust, and traps are just a tick under 126.

smrtasp

Established Member
The 3:73's for me were an easy way to increase acceleration without messing with pulley/tune. The gear swap wont have the same improvement as a pulley/tune but your also not voiding the warranty with dealer installed FRPP gears. I also dont track the car and do mostly city driving. My gear install is newer but no noise so far.

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
i got the ford motorsport 3:73s.... def better feel to them as far as pick up goes. I got zero noise issues!!!! I got them installed at Sansone ford in NJ

Users who are viewing this thread