Get a Bob's Catch can if you haven't already...

IM3CPO

Established Member
Funny you should ask!

I would like to see a second separator on the same line and what amount of oil it would catch. Any takers? I would think the cooler the bottom of the separator the more efficient it would be. Would it be worth it, to plumb it toward the front of the car?

As luck would have it, I have been doing this very thing for about 90% of the time I have had my car. I started out with the JLT separators because I thought Bob's looked like uber crap. However, once I received my JLT cans, I noticed a rather simple oversight on their part with regard to how its installed and how much oil it catches, so I modified both of mine before installing them. I compared the amount of oil I was catching vs. others on the forum (with the JLT) and while I caught substantially more on the passengers side (drivers side had nothing), I concluded my mod was still not producing the amount of oil separation I wanted as I could still find oil on the intake side of the PVC line.

I bought Bob's catch cans and decided to use them in line with the JLT's. The PVC line runs through the JLT then the Bob's separator. I have not checked Bob's can yet as its a pain to work with (I removed the drain valve as it rubbed on rubber hoses in the area) but I have checked the JLT can and having Bob's can behind it makes it work even better!

I plan on making a custom bracket to mount this contraption correctly but have not had much time lately due to work. I originally planned on filling people in on my findings after I had a bracket done and some comparisons as to how much oil I was catching, but figured I would say something since someone specifically asked about this.... :)

ObieFox

Established Member
I took a good look under the hood tonight and I think if we can build the right "harmonica" type of bracket, that we can probably get 6 catch cans plumbed together in series.

I'll see if I can put something together and maybe can organize a group buy on a 6-pack of separators.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I recently installed a Bob's oil seperator. I unfortunately did not get the exact install mileage, but am for certain it is in the 1500mile range since install. I decided to empty it today, and he is what I got out of it. After looking closely at the amount, it appears there is approx. 40ml of oil. I am curious if this would be considered normal or not. I have written down the current mileage and will do a 2000mile exact check next.

2013-03-10_15-29-47_551_zpsd946cd82.jpg

USV8PWR

Established Member
I just purchased the Bob's catch can from you yesturday. My understanding was it can be taken off and put back to stock. I didn't know that I would have to cut lines to install the Bobs catch can. I want the piece of mind knowing the can is there catching oil, but I don't want to cut up my factory system. For 200$ I thought it was all inclusive.. :shrug:

Never has been. It's not a major modification. You don't have to cut anything either. You can soak the stock PCV line in hot water and pull the fittings out of the stock lines.

Back into the hot water to make them pliable, then shove the fitting back in.

Or just go buy a stock PVC hose from Ford. Makes life easier. This way you have one all set up if you want to bring it back to stock.

Van,
Didn't you post a P/N for the 2013 PCV hose assembly. If so, can you repost it.

$43.50

Part#DR3V-6K817-AA

is that retail or tousley ford price?

I am one of those who were unwilling to cut on their factory PVC lines in order to make the Bob's oil seperators work. I used the suggestion above which mentioned soaking the PVC lines in some hot water so their fittings would come off. However, I was unable to remove the fittings on my factory PVC lines even after soaking them in really hot water for 30 minutes. The hot water made the fittings turn much easier, but they would not let go. I do not see how you guys are able to get the fittings off with this method.

So that left me with plan B, ordering some new PVC lines which I will happily cut on. The part number Mullens listed above (which to be fair to him, that number is listed on the actual PVC line) is an engineering number not an actual Ford part number. So using that number, I couldn't find the PVC line anywhere online and finally called Tousley Ford. I spoke to Steve (their Ford Racing guru) who was a tremendous help and great to talk to. He informed me that the two lines have just been recently offered for sale by Ford and are on backorder. I went ahead and ordered them and asked him to hang onto the first PVC line that comes and wait for the second one so that I did not have to pay 2 seperate $10 shipping charges. He readily agreed.

In summary, the P/N for the passenger side PVC line is actually DR3Z-6A664A (per Steve at Tousley Ford) and is currently $12.69 through them. He said retail was roughly $20, not the $43.50 also listed above.

The P/N for the driver side PVC line is AR3Z-6758A and is currently $9.69 through them.

With those P/N's above you will now be able to find them all over the internet, but again good luck getting them quicker than sometime in April! Hopefully this post will help others who really don't want to cut or rip apart their factory PVC lines. :rockon:

Last edited:

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
"Anyway, also reading the posts on this thread several days ago and using the info listed above I ASSumed it was easy to get some PVC lines. Again, that's not what I found. That part number Mullens listed above (which to be fair to him, that number is listed on the actual PVC line) is an engineering number not an actual Ford part number. So using that number, I couldn't find the dang PVC line anywhere online and finally called Tousley Ford. After speaking first to an idiot who seemed to care less, I finally was transferred to Steve (their Ford Racing guru) who was a tremendous help and great to talk to. However, he informed me that the two lines have just been recently offered for sale by Ford and are on backorder. I went ahead and ordered them and asked him to hang onto the first PVC line that comes and wait for the second on so that I did not have to pay 2 seperate $10 shipping charges. He readily agreed.

In summary, the P/N for the passenger side PVC line is actually DR3Z-6A664A (per Steve at Tousley Ford) and is currently $12.69 through them. He said retail was roughly $20, not the $43.50 also listed above.

The P/N for the driver side PVC line is AR3Z-6758A and is currently $9.69 through them.

With those P/N's above you will now be able to find them all over the internet, but again good luck getting them quicker than sometime in April! Hopefully this post will help others who really don't want to cut or rip apart their factory PVC lines. "

Thanks for the info. I know it takes time to put it all together & this is what makes this forum work, everyone puts in a little time in to make our cars that much better for all.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
"Anyway, also reading the posts on this thread several days ago and using the info listed above I ASSumed it was easy to get some PVC lines. Again, that's not what I found. That part number Mullens listed above (which to be fair to him, that number is listed on the actual PVC line) is an engineering number not an actual Ford part number. So using that number, I couldn't find the dang PVC line anywhere online and finally called Tousley Ford. After speaking first to an idiot who seemed to care less, I finally was transferred to Steve (their Ford Racing guru) who was a tremendous help and great to talk to. However, he informed me that the two lines have just been recently offered for sale by Ford and are on backorder. I went ahead and ordered them and asked him to hang onto the first PVC line that comes and wait for the second on so that I did not have to pay 2 seperate $10 shipping charges. He readily agreed.

With those P/N's above you will now be able to find them all over the internet, but again good luck getting them quicker than sometime in April! Hopefully this post will help others who really don't want to cut or rip apart their factory PVC lines. "

Thanks for the info. I know it takes time to put it all together & this is what makes this forum work, everyone puts in a little time in to make our cars that much better for all.

Sorry about that. I figured Ford would put a part number on a part! Glad you got it figured out. This mod is definitely worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread