Going with bigger fuel pumps... Need a re-tune?

aCidic

Sup br0?
Established Member
Somehow I killed my 255's... and so now I need to get 2 new pumps. Everyone is telling me to go ahead and get the Walbro 400's and that I don't need to worry about getting it retuned since I'm running a Return Style Fuel system. MY question is... Will I be safe? Or do I need to hit up my tuner?

Setup I'm running on 93 Octane. Running 17lbs

2.4 KB, 80 lbs Injectors, Lethal Performance Budget Return Style Fuel system /w a BAP

cj428mach

Established Member
Don't need a retune on a return setup for sure. The regulator is going to make sure the same amount of fuel pressure is getting to the engine.

cobra-k

Established Member
Awesome, what about the BAP though? That shouldn't effect anything correct?

I dont have an answer but a question which maybe you could help me understand, why are you running a BAP dont the pumps already run 100% DC on a return set up? is it really necessary to use a BAP on return?

cj428mach

Established Member
Awesome, what about the BAP though? That shouldn't effect anything correct?

Nope. When you're running a return system you're sending a set amount of fuel the regulator takes care of the rest. If you try to throw more fuel at it the regulator is going to just send more back to the tank if you send less the regulator is going to try to send less to the tank to maintain a preset pressure. You just want to verify that after your pump swap that you set your base pressure to what ever it was before with your old pumps.

I dont have an answer but a question which maybe you could help me understand, why are you running a BAP dont the pumps already run 100% DC on a return set up? is it really necessary to use a BAP on return?

You don't need a BAP with Return unless he was trying to get more out of his pumps. With the bigger pumps he's talking about he shouldn't need it anymore. I'm not running a BAP with mine.

cobra-k

Established Member
Thanks for the response cj. So running 255s would it be ideal to run a BAP then on return?
Srry to hi jack acid, im finished with my questions now hope you find the answer you're looking for. :beer:

cj428mach

Established Member
Thanks for the response cj. So running 255s would it be ideal to run a BAP then on return?
Srry to hi jack acid, im finished with my questions now hope you find the answer you're looking for. :beer:

I can't answer that. I would just buy the pumps you need to run your setup. Why put an extra electrical device into the equation that can fail? if you're going to be putting in pumps just get the ones you need. The cost difference between small pumps and big ones is very little. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread