good source for block machining?

chevysRslow

Established Member
Anyone have recommendations for block machining in the detroit area? Want to have my AL block given a quick once over (ie line bore mains and hone bores). I checked with Livernois who quoted $700 which seems high.

Bill

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Taminski
Not sure if thats spelled correctly.
Someone help this guy out.

JP

Jpjr

Established Member
chevysRslow said:
Thanks... Will give them a shout. I know they do good work but might be pricey. Any other reputable shops out there?

Not reputable, but salvage yards usually have connections to the cheapest machine shops. Many will warranty motors from junkers and freshen them up first if necessary.

88ls1blazer

was the line hone including setting bearing clearances? If so thats a smokin deal, also that probably included honing the block with a deck plate. If so, that seems about right to me (without setting clearances) especially with their knowledge on the 4.6 stuff. They have put quite a few motors together for people that I know, and have been top notch. Even if they are more money then some, IMO its worth it

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
88ls1blazer said:
was the line hone including setting bearing clearances? If so thats a smokin deal, also that probably included honing the block with a deck plate. If so, that seems about right to me (without setting clearances) especially with their knowledge on the 4.6 stuff. They have put quite a few motors together for people that I know, and have been top notch. Even if they are more money then some, IMO its worth it

MP built my engine and yes it was bored .020 over. Coated pistons with ARP fasteners (head studs also) I have alot of work to do before the engine goes in (fuel system and batt. in trunk). My Dad ported and polished the heads and I have Crower stage 3's with oversized stainless steel valves. I just pulled the fuel tank out to mod the top hat (dual -6 outlets with stainless -6 AN fittings). Talk to John @ MP, he will take care of you. The main thing is figuring out what you want and talking through it with him. He will set you straight for sure.

88ls1blazer

I am not sure if that was directed towards me or not, but I never said which vendor it was regardless neither of them could explain the failure and said they would "cut us a deal four our trouble". I will say this both of the built engines that broke were .020 over, and based off of livernois' suggestions when they built it we kept it standard bore. All I can say is whatever they did we couldn't be happier that thing has been put through some aweful abuse and hasn't hiccuped once.

Inmemory

Established Member
Modular Performance uses More Power for machine work. They are in Grand Rapids and you can reach them at 616-785-8888.

chevysRslow

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys...

MP was about $100 less than Livernois for the machine work. May opt for the new FRPP AL block though. It's only about $200 more than having my block machined.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
chevysRslow said:
Thanks for the info guys...

MP was about $100 less than Livernois for the machine work. May opt for the new FRPP AL block though. It's only about $200 more than having my block machined.

Go with MP, you won't regret it.

Andy@Livernois

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I would mention a few things.

A. are we comparing machine work to machine work? meaning the same procedures?

B. Remember, the brand new block would still need to be machined

C. give me your info and I will double check the info as far as the pricing for you.

Users who are viewing this thread