Got a ride in modified Shelby GT500

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Kind of wrong forum but GT 500 forum didn't work:

The guy who owns a local Goodyear dealer is also a Cobra nut, had/has an 03/04 600RWHP all out track car. Just sold me some Kumo’s…

He has a new Shelby with full length headers and some Borla mufflers, all custom made, and extensive engine tuning, courtesy of Ford racing. Somehow they are affiliated. That’s it, no CAI (apparently doesn’t exist yet) and stock boost, just killer exhaust system (no cats) and extensive tuning.

They think it’s making 600HP (crank) now.

Anyway, he took me and my buddy who gave me a ride to the tire store a “ride to the cul-de-sac and back”, which was anything but…

That car feels light, tight, and would waste my (stock, K&N only dyno’ed at 404RWHP at A&A Corvettes) 04 Cobra, period. Torque monster supreme and rock stable at speed. Cornered and braked like it weighed 3,200 lbs., suspension still bone stock.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Cool, I should think its a lot of fun.

Although not too sure about the handling thing. I'm sure for a car of that wieght its not bad, but it can't deny physics. In a recent Top Gear test they drove a Viper vs C6 Z06 vs GT500 for a couple hundre miles. They liked the GT but comlained big time about the brakes and handling. Even more so when compared to the other cars.

SupraSonic

Established Member
I agree with Russ,

Never rode in a stock Shelby, but the one yesterday was light and tight! Definitely not what I expected.

I just want to say, I know the guy was a professional driver and definitely had control of his car, but doing 115 on the city streets almost had me crap my pants. . . .But in an exciting scared way of course.:thumbsup:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Cool, I should think its a lot of fun.

Although not too sure about the handling thing. I'm sure for a car of that wieght its not bad, but it can't deny physics. In a recent Top Gear test they drove a Viper vs C6 Z06 vs GT500 for a couple hundre miles. They liked the GT but comlained big time about the brakes and handling. Even more so when compared to the other cars.

are those guys is top gear, professional drivers? i know that they drive a lot of cars and a lot of high end cars, but most drivers dont have a clue about actually driving a car to its limits. just saying there is a big difference in a car that can take a corner at high speeds and a car with spring rates too high combined with very little travel.

the cars they were comparing are almost twice as expensive, i would sure hope that they outcorner and outbrake the gt500. one more question, i have heard nothing but praise about the brakes from the owners. did they complain about the brakes or the brake dive caused by the out of balance car?

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
are those guys is top gear, professional drivers?
Well it depends how you classify professionsal driver. I mean they drive cars as their paid profession, so yes. Plus I think it's all to easy to claim that such people don't know what they are doing, especially if thier opinion differs to your own, however if they agree the tables are soon turned.

At the end of the day, these guys, have raced at some level and have a lot of experience driving very fast cars fast!

Besides, this was an article from Top Gear magazine, two Brits and one American.

ON D BIT said:
i know that they drive a lot of cars and a lot of high end cars, but most drivers dont have a clue about actually driving a car to its limits.
Well they certainly have the experience, I mean how often do you get chance to lap a race circuit or poweslide a car about for day at ridiculas speeds?

ON D BIT said:
just saying there is a big difference in a car that can take a corner at high speeds and a car with spring rates too high combined with very little travel.
Cornering speed has ZILCH to do with handling. Handling is about feel and control.

ON D BIT said:
the cars they were comparing are almost twice as expensive, i would sure hope that they outcorner and outbrake the gt500.
The reference made about the handling was outside the scope of comparison to the other cars. It was more of a general comment concerning the car in general.

ON D BIT said:
one more question, i have heard nothing but praise about the brakes from the owners. did they complain about the brakes or the brake dive caused by the out of balance car?
I'd need to check, but I think over heating brakes was the issue. But again that's just physics, breaks being used constantly on a long jount cross country trying to stop such a heavy car, of course they will fade. BMW M5's (previous version) and other large cars all suffer the same.

Users who are viewing this thread