Got nailed.....

lethal

Established Member
It seems in South Florida, when it rains, people suddenly forget how to drive. Luckily, even thgough I was hit twice, the car sustained minor damage. Three cars involved, my blue Cobra, a 94 white Toyota, and a 2000 Toyota.

I was heading West on Commercial Blvd (for those of you familar with South FL) about 300 yeards from University Drive... when BAM! -- my car moved ... I was like WTF .... then a half second later a slight bam... then BAM! -- my car moves again. At this point, I realize whats happening, nobody in front of me, and I nail the gas to get out of the way of a potiential pileup.

Nothing else occurred, but I was braced for impact. Got out, everyone is fine, the two Toyotas are damaged fairly bad, I cringe, go to the back of my car, and look. There is a little white paint and some scratches, but not bad. Deep breath. OK. Looking lower, nothing is dripping, trunk is fine, pop the trunk... everything as it should be. Whew. Look lower outside, OK, the tips to my Magnaflows are bent up.... no biggie. Look for a far distance, the pipes coming back from the mufflers have not moved... bonus.

Car seems fine, a little trip to my mechanic for a full inspection on the underside and a new bumper cover from Ford (painted and installed) and I'm good to go. He could not have hit me at more then 10-15 mph. Airbag did not deploy in any of the cars. If it can be said, I rule this a "good" accident. I haven't been in one in over 12 years (once, when I was 18 and young/stupid). So, I'll take this type any day.

I'm supposed to be in a car show in two weeks... the dude has Allstate and I just finished with the claim filing 5 minutes ago. Car will be inspected by Allstate and my mechanic tomorrow. I may ask for an alignment, told them I wanted a free rental car while my car was up. Did not contact my insurance company (they don't need to know, do they?) and don't plan to. Hopefully, I can still make the show, my paint will still be drying =P

So, the reason for my post... take it to Ford? If so, de-mod? No? Take it to a good paint shop and let them do it?

Feedback is welcome... thanks!

John

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Think hard. Think REALLY hard. Isn't your neck starting to hurt? Maybe you should call a lawyer. A lawyer like me!!!! LOLOLOL

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
Think hard. Think REALLY hard. Isn't your neck starting to hurt? Maybe you should call a lawyer. A lawyer like me!!!! LOLOLOL
Typical
:xpl:
Glad you are o.k., it really could be so much worse. I would go to a reputable shop over Ford anyday.

UnprediKtable

Established Member
Yea, are you SURE you're ok, I mean, neck and back pain can show up later and you'll be sorry you didn't see the Dr... ;-)

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Why go to Ford???

Had a deep scratch in my Sonic Blue and had perfect paint match from local high quality shop who uses PPG computer system and then manually tweaking of paint mixture. Don't think Ford sells or stocks this paint anyway-- shops mix their own. Would choose a shop by experience and reference of people you know.

Have used Ford supplied tube of Sonic Blue touch up paint for tiny chips and found match to be poor, by the way.

lethal

Established Member
Good call guys, I'm not into getting the car de-modded to have some paint work done, I just want to make sure its just the bumper cover and paint... I have an awesome shop to use. I just want the paint to be as perfect as the original -- I hope it is possible. Also, forgot to mention, I acutally had scratched the bumper, so this is a blessing (kind of) in disguise. Also, I wanted to buy the bigger, nicer Magnaflow tips anyhow... are they 3.5 or 4" rolled tips? Anyone have the model #'s or know how I can order them?

John

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
I am facing a similar issue with a replacment bumper cover. I am taking it to the Ford dealer where I bought it. They guarantee the work. I plan to keep the car for a long time and figured that dealer would be there longer than any body shop I know of.

Jim

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
Three cars involved, my blue Cobra, a 94 white Toyota, and a 2000 Toyota.

hmmmmm...smells like a ricer AMBUSH to me. :cuss:

Glad it wasn't worse, hope the repair goes well. :beer:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
There are allot of body shops that are great around my area here that even offer life time warranty on the paint skip ford.

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
Good call guys, I'm not into getting the car de-modded to have some paint work done, I just want to make sure its just the bumper cover and paint... I have an awesome shop to use. I just want the paint to be as perfect as the original -- I hope it is possible. Also, forgot to mention, I acutally had scratched the bumper, so this is a blessing (kind of) in disguise. Also, I wanted to buy the bigger, nicer Magnaflow tips anyhow... are they 3.5 or 4" rolled tips? Anyone have the model #'s or know how I can order them?

John

I've seen some work done by Fender Mender down here and it looks sweet...anyways good thing thats all the damage.

Btw-what car show are you going in 2 weeks?

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
Originally posted by jmimac351
I am facing a similar issue with a replacment bumper cover. I am taking it to the Ford dealer where I bought it. They guarantee the work. I plan to keep the car for a long time and figured that dealer would be there longer than any body shop I know of.

Jim

Our bodyshop has been in buisness for 24years without very many worrys of ever closing the doors.

Watch out for allstate as they will try to cut corners, REFUSE anything but OEM parts, They are very fond of aftermarket. Also do not let them recommend a shop for you, take it to whomever you feel most comfortable!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
John....ur def. a calm dude about the entire situation :beer: :beer:

U shouldnt contact ur Insurance Company.
I thought ur Rear Pipe got bent up? They are going to replace that as well right?

lethal

Established Member
Yeah, I'll only accept OEM parts and Allstate told me I can take it wherever I want to get it fixed. I'll ask for $$ for the bumpter cover, paint, install, Magnaflow tips, and the cobra bumper inserts that I before.

It's only a car, but its my dream car, and it was fortunate it was such minor damage.

The car show I was going to be in is that Riverfront Fund Ford weekend display. At least, I think that's what its called... =)

More pics at: http://www.mrbadass.org/smack

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
As far as your insurance company goes, I would notify the agent that the accident occurred. Tell him you are not filing a claim at this time, but in case this simple accident turns into a nightmare, you have at least complied with their requirements by notfying them.
About the pipes, they are surely going to have to be replaced from the h-pipe back. They will never be able to straighten them properly. And I doubt if the pipes are available seperately. Just a thought.
Dana

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
As far as your insurance company goes, I would notify the agent that the accident occurred. Tell him you are not filing a claim at this time, but in case this simple accident turns into a nightmare, you have at least complied with their requirements by notfying them.
About the pipes, they are surely going to have to be replaced from the h-pipe back. They will never be able to straighten them properly. And I doubt if the pipes are available seperately. Just a thought.
Dana

Dana is absolutely right!!! If the guy claims you were a fault for stoppng short or something crazy, and you haven't notified your insurance, you could be denied coverage and may have to pay to hire an attorney to defend yourself. REPORT IT! Isn't that neck hurting just a little yet! hehe

StreetSnake

Established Member
John glad to hear all is well, South Fla drivers are a rare breed, little bit of rain and Instant stupidity. Have you considered having the tick fixed while its in the shop? Catch ya at the SVTOA meeting next Sat.:beer:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
You call that MINOR DAMAGE!!! That sticker is going to have to be replaced, and if it was my car, that would not be cheap! :-D

Glad everything is ok.

wculver

600hp is not enough!
Established Member
To avoid de-modding your car, take it to an independant body shop. However, insist that they use original replacement parts (OEM), not some aftermarket crap. The exception here is if you want a different rear bumper from someone like Saleen, Classic Design, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread