GY eagle GS D3's and 10.5 AFS, fittment issues

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
So I have read numerous threads with people running 315s on the rear of there cobra's and not having any fittment issues. What am I doing wrong?

I have AFS 10.5 5 spoke (stock style) rims and 315/35-17's GS D3's. I am thinking either these rims are an earlier style with a different offset than the ones produced today or I actually have a 11" wide rim.

Without the spacers and low profile MMS bolts, the tires still hit, and I mean hit. They rub the bolt, subframe, inner tire well, everything it can hit it does. I am also running F1 concept drilled and slotted rotors which may have something to do with it.

Either way, not to be long winded but I cannot run these rims without the 3/8 spacers, and was hoping to do away with them to rule out a shimmy in the rear at around 80+ MPH.

Any thoughts????

:beer: its on me, and Friday is only 2 days away.

88gt302

Established Member
my car absolutely had to have the 3/8" spacers, and the bolts were CLOSE so i did them for peace of mind. its also lowered about an inch in the rear and the 315 gs d3s still hit the fender lip, until i rolled the lips. ive been running the spacers, et lugs, and bolts for almost a year without any issues, or shimmy and love my 10.5s, and i dont think i have heard of anyone running them without spacers to be honest, not on an irs car anyway.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
That is one of the widest tires on the market, and most like going to need a spacer to make it work. You are going to need to roll your fenders as well.

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
That is one of the widest tires on the market, and most like going to need a spacer to make it work. You are going to need to roll your fenders as well.

The tires have been on the car since 2005, and no, the fenders were not rolled. You can see where occassionally the tire made contact with the lip, but no damage to either other than a trace/small black streak.

I know the GS D3's are a really wide tire, but I checked with DTD and the NT05's vs these there really is no difference, D3 12.70" and NT05's 12.50" and thats shoulder to shoulder.

I am okay with the spacers but like I said I was trying to rule out a shimmy. I still have the original rims/tires, guess I could put those on and give it a shot.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I am okay with the spacers but like I said I was trying to rule out a shimmy. I still have the original rims/tires, guess I could put those on and give it a shot.
Not sure what "shimmy" you're talking about? I have been running 1" hubcentric spacers for years with my 315s 10.5 wheel combo and have had no issues. I've run my car on road courses, drag strip and aggressive street driving and never had any issue whatsoever. I think many guys on this site have an unfounded fear of spacers :shrug:

Also, cosmetically the spacers are a must IMO.

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
shimmy, vibration in the rear end, happens at speeds above 70-80 MPH. Not a good feeling when going down the hwy or trying to strap it down on the dyno.

dlaude

Established Member
my car absolutely had to have the 3/8" spacers, and the bolts were CLOSE so i did them for peace of mind. its also lowered about an inch in the rear and the 315 gs d3s still hit the fender lip, until i rolled the lips. ive been running the spacers, et lugs, and bolts for almost a year without any issues, or shimmy and love my 10.5s, and i dont think i have heard of anyone running them without spacers to be honest, not on an irs car anyway.

I ran them without a spacer or rolling my fenders - stock height though. Only rubbed VERY RARELY on the inside, but only when I had a person or two in the backseat and flexed the suspension a bit (ie - hitting a bump).

The tires have been on the car since 2005, and no, the fenders were not rolled. You can see where occassionally the tire made contact with the lip, but no damage to either other than a trace/small black streak.

I know the GS D3's are a really wide tire, but I checked with DTD and the NT05's vs these there really is no difference, D3 12.70" and NT05's 12.50" and thats shoulder to shoulder.

I had the gsd3s and now have the nt05s and, once installed, the nt05s are noticeably narrower. The nt05s do not rub when going over bumps (as mentioned above with the gsd3s) and I had 2 people in my backseat recently to test this theory (I didn't want to do the test, they needed a ride home from the bar haha).

dlaude

Established Member
Oh, additionally, when the suspension is relaxed (ie - jacked in the air) the tire rested on the irs bolt for me. When put on the ground (suspension flexed), about 1/8" clearance.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I'm running 315-series GSD3's on 10.5" AFS replicas without any problems. :shrug:

3/8" hubcentric spacers + rolled fenders = no rub what so ever.

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
okay, got the NT05's today, 315's. I got the MMS low profile bolts installed and the wheels mounted, without the spacers they still hit the bolt with the suspension at full droop. They hit hard enough that i cannot turn the wheels by hand.

So what is the liklihood of the suspension being at full droop while driving? Never? With a couple pumps of the jack it clears the bolt. The pics below show the clearance of the bolt and how much droop is on the suspension. Is it okay to run without the spacers?

dlaude

Established Member
I can't see the pictures (thanks for blocking the host site, work), but my NT05s were on the bolt when the car was jacked up (ie - full 'droop'/suspension relaxed). When the car was put on the ground, however, there was about 3/8" clearance for me - which is more than I had for the 315 GS-D3s.

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
I can't see the pictures (thanks for blocking the host site, work), but my NT05s were on the bolt when the car was jacked up (ie - full 'droop'/suspension relaxed). When the car was put on the ground, however, there was about 3/8" clearance for me - which is more than I had for the 315 GS-D3s.

That sounds exactly like my situation, drooped and hitting, but when suspension is loaded I have about 3/8 clearance as well. Are you running spacers with your NT05's?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I run MM 1/4 spacers, MM IRS subframe button bolts, extended lugnuts, and rolled the fender with my 315/35/17 GSD3 on a 10.5 wheel.

Looks great and no vibration at all.

Users who are viewing this thread