Had to say goodbye to my chocolate lab Monday.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
June 1999 I was 16. My aunt and uncles set of labs had a littler of pups and let me have the first pick, free of charge. The day I got her I stopped at Sonic on the way home after a 20 minute ride and she puked all in my seat lol. That was the only time she got car sick.

She was a plus size gal almost all of her life, usually keeping around the 100lb mark. Gentle as a feather and sweet as the Chocolate Oranges she loved to snag off of the end table when I would forget to put them away.

I trained her to the best of my ability when she was a pup. Her skills were way beyond anything I could ever teach her, a natural. I had to retire her early due to hip dysplasia but after that she was a professional couch dog and mood lifter.

She developed a tumor on the side of her noggin last year and it continued to grow since then. Vet said it really wasn't worth the risk to have it removed and just let her live until the quality of life was gone. She kept her appetite and regular bodily functions until Friday, when she lost all control of her walking movement. Knowing the inevitable would come Monday morning when I had to take her on her last car ride, this weekend was rough. I've only lost 1 close family member my whole life (Grandpa) and I must say I cannot handle death very well. You can call me a baby, I really dont care, but I've shed more tears over this than anything else in my lifetime. Being there when my sweet chocolate lab took her last breath was by far the hardest thing I've ever had to go through.

I knew this time would come but I really didn't know it would be this hard. I had my wife call the vets office yesterday morning to ask if they could do it in my vehicle so I wouldn't have to carry her in/out to stress her out anymore. She paid over the phone so when I got to the vet I walked inside, left my sunglasses on, and in between bursts of cries somehow spit out "my wife called" and walked out.

I'm focusing on all the funny times and great memories I have of her and have a lot of pictures to look back on. At first I was asking why we have pets that we grow so attached to when we KNOW we will outlive them and have to go through this someday. Then I thought, this heartbreak is small beans compared to what joy they bring to us every day they are here with us. They know us better than our best friends and family members, mourn with us when we are sad, wag their tails when they know we're happy, and anyone that has ever hunted with a dog knows they love the hunt just as much or more as we do.

Sorry for the cry baby post, but I really had to tell someone and words aren't coming out of my mouth since yesterday. :(

Rest in peace, Allie. I hope there are all kinds of ducks to chase and deer to trail where ever you are now.

014-5.jpg

011-6.jpg

010-7.jpg

009-5.jpg

018-5.jpg

02trubluegt

Semper Fi
Established Member
First off let me say sorry for the loss.

I know this feeling and it sucks and im about to have to go through it again.

Maybe 2 years ago. I to had to put a dalmation i had since i was maybe 8 the dog was everything to my family. Had since since a pup and she slowly got weak and to the point of not being able to walk or hold bowel movements.. it was my moms baby and I was tasked with the horrible thing to put her down. It was prob the hardest thing i have ever done to watch my dog take its last breath and her head go limp in my lap, and watch her chest stop. I couldnt believe she was gone. It took everything i had to call my mom who was at my beach cause she didnt want to see it to tell her it was done.

Now.. im currently serving in the Marines and am currently deployed in Kuwait soon to be in afghanistan. Ive been in about 2 years and other dalmation who is now same age as my other one has developed cancer and the vets say will not make it through the year... Im deployed till next feb. Im hoping i make it home on R&R before anything happens to him. I raised that dog on my own sooo i really know your pain.

My heart really goes to you as i got tear eyed writing about my dog. Keep your chin up dogs like that are impossible to replace, but you can always have another friend.

RIP Allie

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
02tru, man that is really rough. I wanted to be the only one with her when she passed and if I couldn't have been it might have even been worse. I really hope you're able to be home with him when its time.

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
Really sorry for your loss man. Everyone knows how hard it is to lose a pet. But they are more than a pet, they are non-judgmental best friends. They don't care what you have done or are doing, they will always be beside you. When you are sad and need someone the most, they will be right there. We grow attached to them and them to us. And when it is their time, it is literally like losing a child. It's one of the most heart breaking things to have to go through. I have been there. I truly feel for you brother. Take it easy. It will get better.

crazycarlo

Established Member
sorry for your loss man, due to certain things throughout my life i have had to be seperated with a few. I deff feel for you, as ur best friend im sure she treated ya well. And though they all have different personalities themselves give it some time and help the circle of life by getting another one. Treat them just as good :)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Sorry for your loss. It's tough. I've lost 2 dogs in my life an it still kicks my ass when it happens.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. My whole family is pretty down right now but we feel pretty lucky to have known her.

Crazy Ray

Established Member
I'm sorry for your loss. It hurts to the bone, when you have to do this. You are not a baby for sharing your feels for the pet that you loved so much. Remember the good times that you had with you dog.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I dread the day when my wife and I lose our dog. Anytime I read something like this, I honest to God get misty-eyed because I know how much of a train wreck I will be when that day comes. But like you said, you can take solace in the fact that you gave your dog a great home, a great life, and that they will carry those memories with them to the other side.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
That really sucks. Labs are some of the best dogs there are. I had a black lab that died a few years back. Still think about her all the time, she was a very loyal and smart dog. Rips me up just seeing threads like this.

Last edited:

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I dread the day when my wife and I lose our dog. Anytime I read something like this, I honest to God get misty-eyed because I know how much of a train wreck I will be when that day comes. But like you said, you can take solace in the fact that you gave your dog a great home, a great life, and that they will carry those memories with them to the other side.

You said it right, as I look at my German Shepard lying on the floor next to me.
RIP Allie.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
this is the first post that has got me teary eyed i think in the history of svtp.....i really feel for you man, and i'm sorry for the loss. These past two years with with my dog have been the best ever. He is seriously the only thing in life that i can drop hundreds (over a thousand on 2 occasions now) of dollars in vet bills/food/toys/etc and not even bat an eye. Its not even an option. Hopefully you can pick up a new friend soon and start spoiling her too!

Just think of how nice of a life you allowed her to live, and especially these past months. It sounds like Allie could not have asked for a better friend also!

RedlineHP

Established Member
It's heart breaking to read your story. She was a beautiful, happy looking lab.
I have a 9 yr old chocolate that sounds to be her twin and I feel the same way as you.
RIP Allie

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
OP, you are an animal lover and loved your lab. You have my utmost respect for posting your story here and it helps.
I have a 13 yr old chocolate lab Cali, so it hits home twice as hard. I saw her born and she loves car rides also. RIP Allie

Users who are viewing this thread