HDD Data Recovery services

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Has anyone ever used a HDD data recovery service?

I have here a 1.5TB WD from an enclosed external case that took a desk-height drop and makes a horrendous metal on metal grinding noise now, that I would like to have recovered. I tried everything I knew and googled to salvage it, but no dice. Though I received the drive and it shows signs someone opened it already to try to fix it.

Has anyone used a service like this? How much did it run you for a simple HDD recovery? The place im talking with wont give anything over the phone until I send the drive to them, which id have to deliver in person and its a 1.5hr drive each way to their closest office.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I used these guys a couple years ago when my laptop was damaged in a fire (and subsequent flooding of office)

For my application, it was $800 for a 500gb drive. Full data recovery of all files and pictures.

Micra Data Recovery - RAID repair,hard drive data recovery services. Data recovery software solutions, file data recovery - Micra Data Recovery - RAID repair,hard drive data recovery services. Data recovery software solutions, file data recovery

:eek::xpl:

Damn. Shits mad crazy expensive. Youd think they have a simple way of just opening the drive, mounting the discs into some machine and it just pulls all the data off that it can and sticks it on a new drive.

Beerdog, did that $800 include the new drive cost as well?

Wonder if I could just grab another WD drive of the same model, pull the discs and mount them in the new drive and see if it reads it that way. I bet the only thing wrong with this one is the platters are bent and wont let them engage past the rim of the discs.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
We just used Geek squad, not only did they recover all of our files, but they also fixed the computer for 50 bucks. The hard drive failed on my wifes MAC, it needed servicing so for about 220 bucks we got an external hard drive with everything on it, plus the computer getting fixed and reset to brand new settings. I actually recommend them and I was skeptical at first.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

Damn. Shits mad crazy expensive. Youd think they have a simple way of just opening the drive, mounting the discs into some machine and it just pulls all the data off that it can and sticks it on a new drive.

Wonder if I could just grab another WD drive of the same model, pull the discs and mount them in the new drive and see if it reads it that way. I bet the only thing wrong with this one is the platters are bent and wont let them engage past the rim of the discs.

Yeah, they put everything onto another drive for me. Mine was a bit of a different situation since my drive had actual physical damage.

You could remove the disks but you will need some special tools, especially for the platters, and a donor HD with the model number and firmware version as the one you currently have. If the disk is scratches due to the platters, it's time to call a pro.

Last edited:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
We just used Geek squad, not only did they recover all of our files, but they also fixed the computer for 50 bucks. The hard drive failed on my wifes MAC, it needed servicing so for about 220 bucks we got an external hard drive with everything on it, plus the computer getting fixed and reset to brand new settings. I actually recommend them and I was skeptical at first.

Your just sounds like data recovery, which is generally pretty easy. His sounds like the HD unit itself is damaged...which is going to incur a lot more cost.

I've been backing up my files ever since on two external drives. One stays in my office and another here at the house. I use SyncToy to transfer the files automatically. Pretty simple process actually.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

That is one of the methods they use to recover your data, the issue comes in when you start considering the environment you need to take the drive apart without causing more damage. Most of the industry leading data recovery companies perform the work in "clean rooms".

We have used Drive Savers on occasion. Just like all the other good ones, they are expensive, but we have had a 100% success rate with them.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

data recovery is more "difficult" than rebuilding an automatic transmission.

Tons of small parts....you cant screw up or someone is extremely pissed at you....clean rooms that rival hospital clean rooms are involved. even the smallest spec of dust can ruin someone's entire drive and data if done wrong.

its actually a big deal

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member

:lol:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yeah ive saved one drive a few years back by transferring the platters from a good drive to the bad one. The servo/magnet mechanism died.

This one it looks as if the tiny feet (using my magnifying glasses) at the ends of the platters are bent and wont allow it to slide over the disc edge as the drive spools up. Took it apart last night since it already shown signs of tampering (probably by her uncle who she says tried to fix it too). I was hoping that it just needed a real recovery program to be ran on it.

I tried the freezer trick a while back, no dice (likely due to the above).

$1600 from geeksquad is borderline unfathomable. I could see up to $600-800 including new drive to get back into this chicks good graces. We had a shitty argument a couple weekends ago and havent talked since. She had just about her whole life on this drive as shes been rolling over data from drive to drive since she was young like me. I know how bad I felt when a buddy installed an OS on the wrong drive I told him not to use, and I lost years of stuff in a heartbeat, so I wanted to spare her from that. She already knows it was a lost cause but if I could surprise her with it, even if half the stuff on there is corrupt, id be back in. I miss her deeply and didnt think I would, think I miss her more than my ex of almost a decades worth of memories. The shit we do for wemonz....

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't expect to pay any less than a grand in your situation. You might get lucky, though.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Yeah ive saved one drive a few years back by transferring the platters from a good drive to the bad one. The servo/magnet mechanism died.

This one it looks as if the tiny feet (using my magnifying glasses) at the ends of the platters are bent and wont allow it to slide over the disc edge as the drive spools up. Took it apart last night since it already shown signs of tampering (probably by her uncle who she says tried to fix it too). I was hoping that it just needed a real recovery program to be ran on it.

I tried the freezer trick a while back, no dice (likely due to the above).

$1600 from geeksquad is borderline unfathomable. I could see up to $600-800 including new drive to get back into this chicks good graces. We had a shitty argument a couple weekends ago and havent talked since. She had just about her whole life on this drive as shes been rolling over data from drive to drive since she was young like me. I know how bad I felt when a buddy installed an OS on the wrong drive I told him not to use, and I lost years of stuff in a heartbeat, so I wanted to spare her from that. She already knows it was a lost cause but if I could surprise her with it, even if half the stuff on there is corrupt, id be back in. I miss her deeply and didnt think I would, think I miss her more than my ex of almost a decades worth of memories. The shit we do for wemonz....

If you're whole life is on a drive and considering the data recovery price why not just backup the data on another drive in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread