head cooling mod, worth it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is relatively small chance a Terminator will develop the tick issue. But it has, does, and will happen. Jimmy makes some excellent points above, so the bottom line is it is a cheap insurance. Will it guarantee you'll never get the tick issue? No. But odds are it should do the trick since it does move more coolant through the head. Obviously the best option is to go with the 01/2005 heads. If I was using the car strictly as a street ride with little if any racing, I probably wouldn't bother. If, however, I was pulling the blower for porting or a T/S I would do the mod.

Call Jared at Lethal Performance and he'll hook you up with the Evans Gen II cooling mod.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'll at least have a bit more peace of mind. Can never have enough of that. :)

JymBart

Established Member
Enlarging the hood vents like Carlos(racebronco2) and a few others have done coupled with boxing in the radiator more completely than the factory did.

You said the best.... that's the BEST!

What else would you add to that list Jimmy?
JymBart

Jroc

Established Member
IMHO HCM's are a waste of time, and money.

I will not put one on my car, as is apparent when I skipped it during my clutch change.

IMO the only really worthwhile cooling mods are better pistons and January 05 heads. The hood that Jimmysidecarr talks about is probably an effective mod as he RR's, and knows his stuff when talking about these cars.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The larger hood vents that I was talking about Ford actually experimented with a version during development but ditched them probably for cosmetic reasons.

windtunnel05.jpg

windtunnel06.jpg

Here is Carlos's car.(race bronco2) Not a great view of the vents...sorry I'm still searching for the better detailed pics.
sow9272808022mediumxp2.jpg

A "cool" thread on boxing in the rad...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/open-track-racing-203/332482-boxing-radiator.html

The whole goal of all this is MORE AIR THOUGH THE RADIATOR.
The venting drops air pressure behind the rad making the difference in pressure between the front and back greater. This results in more air through, which results in MORE HEAT OUT!
A larger radiator hold more coolant which will delay over heating because of the extra mass of the coolant.
The thicker core of the larger rads actually make it harder to get air though(resistance) thus making greater air flow essential to take any possible advantage of a larger rad.

Here is a thread that has vents fabbed by SCT2003 and they would definitely work and work good.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...roduct-custom-road-race-style-hood-vents.html

IMG_9937Medium.jpg

Remember we are not venting to get heat out just for the sake of venting it, we are venting to get the pressure lower so more air will go through the radiator and THAT is where the heat gets removed.
The increase in front down force is an added bonus.

EDIT: I found a better shot of Carlos's hood...

splitter1mediumrc9.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The larger hood vents that I was talking about Ford actually experimented with a version during development but ditched them probably for cosmetic reasons.

windtunnel05.jpg

windtunnel06.jpg

Here is Carlos's car.(race bronco2) Not a great view of the vents...sorry I'm still searching for the better detailed pics.
sow9272808022mediumxp2.jpg

A "cool" thread on boxing in the rad...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/open-track-racing-203/332482-boxing-radiator.html

The whole goal of all this is MORE AIR THOUGH THE RADIATOR.
The venting drops air pressure behind the rad making the difference in pressure between the front and back greater. This results in more air through, which results in MORE HEAT OUT!
A larger radiator hold more coolant which will delay over heating because of the extra mass of the coolant.
The thicker core of the larger rads actually make it harder to get air though(resistance) thus making greater air flow essential to take any possible advantage of a larger rad.

Here is a thread that has vents fabbed by SCT2003 and they would definitely work and work good.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...roduct-custom-road-race-style-hood-vents.html

IMG_9937Medium.jpg

Remember we are not venting to get heat out just for the sake of venting it, we are venting to get the pressure lower so more air will go through the radiator and THAT is where the heat gets removed.
The increase in front down force is an added bonus.

EDIT: I found a better shot of Carlos's hood...

splitter1mediumrc9.jpg

That is a very nice setup there of the SCT2003 fabbed vents. It's easy to see how effective that setup would be. The real key (for most I guess) is designing a setup that is both functional and attractive. Often those two worlds collide and then you end up having to compromise.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
Perhaps a better question would be why did SVT engineer the SC'd 4.6L motors that are in the 03-04 Cobra WITHOUT a coolant passage out the back of the driver's side head...seems if there was that much of an improvement, it would have been included. I mean, we're not talking about a lot of $$ here.

Anyone?

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Perhaps a better question would be why did SVT engineer the SC'd 4.6L motors that are in the 03-04 Cobra WITHOUT a coolant passage out the back of the driver's side head...seems if there was that much of an improvement, it would have been included. I mean, we're not talking about a lot of $$ here.

Anyone?

Simple answer is it was an unknown issue at the time. Only after experience did they find the issue and after several revisions - fix the head coolant passages. It's not like they saved any money by eliminating the coolant passages and caused the issue. : )

boatcop1

Established Member

Anyone?

Excellent question but I'm affraid we wont get a difinitive answer only some very educated philosophy's on the matter. I dont think my car warrants the mod, but i have the blower off of it so I'm just going to install it, call it cheap ins, piece of mind or whatever. The one fact i do know is that the mod DOES circulate more coolant through the head and that can never be a bad thing!

My cooling mods include:
The head cool mod
RR 170 deg t-stat
GM Dex Cool 50/50 w/Redline water wetter
Canton Alum expansion tank

and for the Blower:
LFP H/E
GM Dex Cool 50/50
Canton Alum tank
De oiled Intercooler:thumbsup:

For my weekend warrior i think that will be fine

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Jimmy, quick question. What purpose do the shark fin-like bumps at the top of the rear window on the Cobra you pictured serve? I've seen them on Evo's too.

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
Someone should make up a cooling how too like the "red pill" for the IRS

Users who are viewing this thread