Head tick or exhaust leak?

DeepDish04

Established Member
After replacing my header gaskets for the second time (first time was the install) I still find myself hearing what sounds to me like an exhaust leak. Could it possibly be a head tick? I have an 04 and from what I've read the tick is only in the 03's? Could there be a leak in the gaskets from over torquing header bolts? If so could you just back the bolts out or would you have to buy new gaskets? This noise is driving me crazy and I know that is hard to help when you dont hear the car actually running but any advice would be helpful. Should I go through the trouble of dropping K-member again and just check everything.......?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
What kind of gaskets are you using? If you are still using the stock studs and nuts, I would recommend getting replacements. If I recall correctly, our stock nuts have a locking feature and their running torque can decrease over time. And always use stock Ford gaskets, no matter what headers/manifolds you run.

If the tick is an "airy" tick, it's an exhaust leak.

DeepDish04

Established Member
I use factory studs and nuts. And just replaced gaskets back to OEM. The motor only has 41k on it. Theyd go bad that fast? After listening to it really closely the other day I heard what sounds like injectors ticking? Do you know anything about this?

Users who are viewing this thread