Help me diagnose this cooling problem.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
i new to this but where are u guys talking about when u say crossover tube, where is it?

Well my little circle thingy did't work. Its two inches up and two inches to the rite of the supercharger pulley. That is the crossver tube cap and the entire pipe going around under to the front of the supercharger is the entire pipe-Shane
IMG_0969.jpg

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I did the leak down test and the funnel test. The car needs a head gasket.

Here's the kicker....the bad cylinder is #5

TroyV

Established Member
UPDATE:

I got the car back from Imperial Ford in Mendon Ma. I chose them to do the job. They have a lot of high dollar hardware over there and quite a few Roush blower cars they service. They removed my engine and tranny from underneath, pulled the heads and had them sent to their machine shop to be checked. They were pressure tested with positive results, and they were flat. They kissed the sealing surfaces .005 as a matter of course.

All the seals and gaskets on the engine were changed, including the front/rear main seals, oil pan gasket, and intake/exhaust gaskets. A new stock clutch was added to the pile. My original clutch still had loads of meat on it, but it made sense to do.

ARP2000 studs were installed.

The job took them about 5 days to turn around completely.

I have about 50 miles into the car and it feels completely solid, very smooth...and it even idles better than before. I'm talking with my tuner to figure out if we should do a completely new tune or not.

All in all the job with the clutch cost me $2726, not including the bolts which were purchased earlier from D'Agostino at around 400 shipped.

Costly job, but this price was almost 1500 less then the next lowest quote I got.....without the clutch.

Here is where it gets interesting. I inspected the head gaskets looking for the tell tale signs of a leak, and there were none on the primary sealing surfaces. As you may or may not know the 03 stock gaskets are four layers. At cylinder #5 on the layer just above the lowest layer that seals to the block, there was evidence of a path between the cooling jacket and the cylinder wall. The leak was between layer one and layer two.

I can only guess that my repeated beatings caused things to slacken a bit such that a leak could pass.

In short... TTY bolts suck.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
I finally got some pictures... I'm amazed the car runs as well as it does after seeing these.

http://s423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/tv2vgt/Head Gasket Repair/

WOW, makes me wonder.... how many miles are on your car???.. I am at 74k miles. Car runs good but with all the beatings i laugh and wonder of my power plant under the hood. I did once had the car spike near the red line and pulled over while in the mountains on the way to Santa Cruz california... it oozed a ass load of cooland out and luckily I had a cooler full of bottled water. I used about every last bottle of water to squeeze out on the radiator, waited about 15 minutes... ...started the car to circulate the cool radiator water... shut it off, waited 10 more minutes... once i turned the car to on, the coolant gauge was way down low... so then i filled the cross over tube and hit the road and never had a problem since (knock on fat wood). this was at about 40k miles. And I have the shitty heads. Car had the same occurance once since then but everytime I immidiately take action like the 1st time it happened to me and to this day she runs great... The 1st time is when I was going up hill, in trafic with the A/c on and the 2nd time was in the desert with the A/c on.. so heat and load was a definite factor on those 2 occasions. I think next payday I will go get me a new resevoir cap. Glad everything worked out for you even though you shelled a few G's. :beer:

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
I'm at 56,500. I would say that I have about 6k track miles total in the car.

I look at it as the cost of doing the track thing. When the car is "on" which has been every event for the last four years until this year, the car is incredible....seriously. When I break down the cost of this repair over the amount of track events and autocross events I have done, it makes it feel a little less painful.........albeit not too much less. :)

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow I'm kind of surprised you didn't do a set of the new heads while you were in there, but sounds like you got great deal on all the work :thumbsup:

TroyV

Established Member
I saw no reason for new heads or any other mods for that matter. I'm already blowing the doors off of everyone in my TT run group.

I got your PM, I'll consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread