Help Needed- HI8 MM tape Conversion

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I've run across some old video tapes of high school wrestling but they are on (What I think) are Hi8MM tapes... After some research I don't believe they make a converter for these tapes so I will need to purchase (or borrow) a Hi8 camcorder so I can convert them to DVD.

First, can anyone confirm that these are indeed HI8 tapes? I've attached a few pictures to compare two different types I have. The wider of the two in the picture I already have a converter for. What I'm trying to do is find a camera for the smaller of the two without breaking my bank account.
I found a few on Ebay for WAY too much money considering I only have two tapes to transfer and who knows if they are even any good now.

So... first... Can anyone confirm they are HI8 tapes? Secondly... Would anyone be willing to let me rent their camera if they have one? I hate to spend $200 on a camera for 2 tapes, but I would be willing to borrow one for a day for $50 or $75.
I'd be happy to Vinmo or Paypal anyone with a camera and willing to let me rent.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
20200422_165544.jpg
20200422_165533.jpg
20200422_165539.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That 8mm, which is different that Hi-8.

Here's some info that might help.

Are 8mm Video Tapes the Same as Hi8 Video Tapes? Video8 vs Hi-8
Posted by Chris on 1-4-2011

With all of the different format of video tapes throughout the years, it can be hard to keep track of what camera you have and which tapes are compatible with what. With the 8mm tapes in particular, 3 different types of tapes were released that all look identical to each other. The first tape to release was the 8mm tape or video8, followed by the release of the Hi8, and finally the Digital8. Most people wonder what the difference is between Video8 vs Hi-8.

Thankfully, the camcorder manufacturers had the sense to make their products backwards compatible with older versions of the tapes. So if you had several original 8mm tapes, you’d be able to play them on your Hi8 or Digital8 camera. However, you wouldn’t be able to play your Hi8 or Digital8 tapes on your old plain 8mm camcorder. This makes it easy to play back your whole collection if you were to obtain a Digital8 camcorder.

1.jpg

All of the tapes are housed in nearly identicle cassette casings. Digital8 tapes are a bit easier to spot due to the fact that they display both the Hi8 running time (120m) and the Digital running time (60m). It’s a little tougher to tell the difference between Hi8 and Video8. Hi8, for instance, could also be used for recording Digital8 footage, which would then make the tape incompatible with a Hi8 camera, even though the tape says it is. This is often confusing for people who purchase cameras looking to view or transfer their video8 to DVD or Hi8 to DVD. If your completely unsure of what kind of tape you have, it may be best to purchase a Digital8 camcorder, so you can be sure it will play all tape formats.

Question for you, Rodney. Did you check with any local conversion services? There are some Internet companies that convert media to DVD. I've used one before. It may be cost effective to convert your 8mm video to DVD using a service if you can get the equipment to do it yourself.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve still got a camcorder I believe in the basement. I’ll look for it and if it’s the correct type you can have it man.

I believe it’s a digital 8 from JVC if memory serves. I want to say my parents had bought it in 2001-2003.

Last edited:

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
That 8mm, which is different that Hi-8.

Here's some info that might help.

Are 8mm Video Tapes the Same as Hi8 Video Tapes? Video8 vs Hi-8
Posted by Chris on 1-4-2011

With all of the different format of video tapes throughout the years, it can be hard to keep track of what camera you have and which tapes are compatible with what. With the 8mm tapes in particular, 3 different types of tapes were released that all look identical to each other. The first tape to release was the 8mm tape or video8, followed by the release of the Hi8, and finally the Digital8. Most people wonder what the difference is between Video8 vs Hi-8.

Thankfully, the camcorder manufacturers had the sense to make their products backwards compatible with older versions of the tapes. So if you had several original 8mm tapes, you’d be able to play them on your Hi8 or Digital8 camera. However, you wouldn’t be able to play your Hi8 or Digital8 tapes on your old plain 8mm camcorder. This makes it easy to play back your whole collection if you were to obtain a Digital8 camcorder.

View attachment 1636085

All of the tapes are housed in nearly identicle cassette casings. Digital8 tapes are a bit easier to spot due to the fact that they display both the Hi8 running time (120m) and the Digital running time (60m). It’s a little tougher to tell the difference between Hi8 and Video8. Hi8, for instance, could also be used for recording Digital8 footage, which would then make the tape incompatible with a Hi8 camera, even though the tape says it is. This is often confusing for people who purchase cameras looking to view or transfer their video8 to DVD or Hi8 to DVD. If your completely unsure of what kind of tape you have, it may be best to purchase a Digital8 camcorder, so you can be sure it will play all tape formats.

Question for you, Rodney. Did you check with any local conversion services? There are some Internet companies that convert media to DVD. I've used one before. It may be cost effective to convert your 8mm video to DVD using a service if you can get the equipment to do it yourself.

Thanks for the info! When I was looking up how to convert the tapes to DVD I saw a few ads for conversion deals. That was my backup plan.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I’ve still got a camcorder I believe in the basement. I’ll look for it and if it’s the correct type you can have it man.

I believe it’s a digital 8 from JVC if memory serves. I want to say my parents had bought it in 2001-2003.
It sounds like the same time frame. I graduated in 2003 and my parents had bought their camera a year or so before.
If you can find it, I'd be happy to pay for shipping + some thankful $$$!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
It sounds like the same time frame. I graduated in 2003 and my parents had bought their camera a year or so before.
If you can find it, I'd be happy to pay for shipping + some thankful $$$!

I'll look tonight or tomorrow and get back to you then.

Users who are viewing this thread