HID Headlights...What y'all think

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
As I was driving down the highway awhile back, a Lexus I was passing had HID's, and the moment I saw how much better visibilty was, I wanted a set. I have, however, read that a HID kit will not light up properly in a non-HID housing, causing blindness to oncoming drivers and poor visibility for myself. Id like to get the kit, if and only if it will increase visibilty. I dont care for the blue hue it creates. If I did, I would get the blue bulbs. Do I have to get a projector style housing and put the HID's in that, or is there a way that I can get them to function properly inside a stock housing?

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
retrofitting a stocker with HIDs is doable and as you noted will put off a glare. You can re aim your headlight which will help out a little but the glare is still there. The reflectors are shapped a little different for the standard bulbs than say the reflectors for something like the Xenarc HID replacement lamps.

Light color is dependent on bulb choice with HIDs. the higher the Kelvin the bluer the light, really high kelvin is purple say 12000, so a set of 6000k bulbs will get ya that luxury car color look.

I did an HID conversion in my fog lamps on my 02 Harley, 6000k slight bluish hue, they are more driving lamps now than fog lamps...way brighter and more glare, I get flashed by oncoming traffic they put off so much light and glare.....

I have Sylvania Xenarc Kit as well and they came with 4300k which is a white light, and the housings are designed for HID so the light output is perfect with no glare.

Interesting to see some photos of HIDs installed in a projector housing and see how much glare there is with them.

Last edited:

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
im interested in this too. i do most of my racing at night, so id like to see a little better myself.

nielsio

Luving the sun here!
Established Member
Alot of ebay projector headlights don't support the HID bulps....been thru that already so you really have to lookout or ask the seller questions when getting a pair. The HID bulps are longer then regular bulps so once you go and fit them in, there's a good chance you'll end up scratching or breaking them. Anyone with HID projectors?

lightning666

Established Member
There is actually a lot of projectors that can fit HID bulbs inside with very minor modifications. I am running the DEPO brand projectors with HIDs in the projectors and regular sylvania silverstars in the regular lights. The lights I am talking about are the ones that look almost identical to the stock L lights but have a projector molded in.

The regular light uses the same as stock 9007, and the projector uses 9005. So all you have to do is get a 9005 hid kit. I run my regular beams on heavy traffic where there is no center median, but on areas with a center median(turning lane) I run my HID projectors with Hid fogs also. I don't have any pics yet as the truck has been out of commission for a few months now, but it will be up an running by next week.

livinlow

Listen to my whine!
Established Member
I have HID. I have 10K...and to be honest...I have a hard time driving anything that doesnt have HID now. I highly recommend them. THey will work in your stock housing. This is the kit I bought. Its a great kit. allows you to install it clean without cutting any wires and such. And the way the headlights sit or you can adjust them...the light stops about the top edge of the trunk of a car in front of me...I rarely get flashed by oncoming traffic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1000...tegoryZ36476QQihZ010QQitemZ200107145450QQrdZ1

Here is a shot of them:
LIghtning0142.jpg

Last edited:

Vette Eater

Established Member
ditto...I have an 8000K kit in my truck and the fit right in. When I first installed them I got bright lighted all the time, but since have adjusted them and rarely get the bright lights.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the 6000K kit, not as blue

PensiveParoxysm

Established Member
I can't stand the HID lights! I'm driving an acura now that my truck is down and it has the xenon lights, they are real bright but only right out in front of you. The lights make a line and it is complete blackness above the line but if you adjust it you will blind uncoming traffic.:bash:
I know one day a ufo or something is going to pop out from behind that line and get me.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Vette Eater said:
ditto...I have an 8000K kit in my truck and the fit right in. When I first installed them I got bright lighted all the time, but since have adjusted them and rarely get the bright lights.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the 6000K kit, not as blue
Im not so much worried that they wont fit, Im more worried that they wont be as effective without the right housing. When you say you adjusted them, are you just pointing them more downward?

Im somewhat tempted to buy a projector style headlight and throw HID's in them, but I have found none that look good.

How blue are yours? Ive looked at the different temp pics, but they are all from headon, not outward as if sitting in the truck. Is there any benefit by a bluish color, or does that just add to the rice effect?

Users who are viewing this thread