Home Gym

08mojo

Established Member
I am looking to buy equipment for a home gym. I would like a 5-50lb dumbell set, cage with pull-up bar and a 300lb Olympic bar and plate set. Plus, I'll need other accessories: weight racks, adjustable bench, etc... The room is relatively small at 13' x 12'.

Amy advice on where to buy equipment? Prices are all over the place. I don't want to go overboard, but also don't want to buy shaky junk. Budget is around $2,500.

What does svtp say?

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Amazon and Ebay. For the dumbbells, you can save space by getting the Bowflex Selectech dumbbells, or the Power Block version. They also sell a bundle with the stand for the Bowflex ones.

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
My honest opinion is you're wasting your money. It's only a matter of time before you get bored and that equipment collects dust. There's a reason used equipment can be had for nothing

You're not into the gym thing? That would be my vote

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I have a huge gym. Dumbbells to 110lbs. I never use it. I just go to the YMCA 5-6 days a week though. $2500 won't get you all that, unless you buy crap brands, or used.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Watch Craigslist for the plates/bars/dumbbells. Usually can find someone trying to unload unless you're in the middle of nowhere. I found Christian Fitness Factory had some of the better deals on quality racks, benches, etc. You don't need a lot of room to get the job done. The space you mentioned is plenty big IMO unless you're also trying to jam treadmills or similar machines in there as well.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Get yourself a heavy bag, some gloves, a double ended bag, maybe a speed bag. A jump rope, pull up/dip bar. Maybe some light dumbbells. Calisthenics. Work in some runs/sprints around the block. All this for under 500 bucks.

Blown 89

Established Member
Our workout room is relatively small so we went with the Ironmaster set. A little slow to change weight but they're indestructible and the accessories accept Olympic weights. If you lack willpower it doesn't matter if it's a home gym or the gym when you get bored and stop. I have a gym I go to on top of everything we have at home.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Watch Craigslist. Half rack at Dickssporting Goods , i have 2 treadmills 4 spin bikes,one eliptical punching bag 2 adjustable benches, Inspire home gym, adjustable dumbells. 600 pounds weight bars basically all the basics, even a calf raise machine bought used for 65.00. I have used my home gym for almost 7 year 7 days a week and sometimes 2 twice a day. My daughter and wife now use it. If you exercise a lot it is a must. Going downstairs to exercise now

pierce88

Established Member
Honestly your home gym should be a small set of stuff for the days you can't make it to the gym or have an itch for a random workout when you don't have time to go the gym or its closed.

Otherwise I agree with everyone here. It will end up collecting dust and you'll sell it on craigslist for pennies on the dollar in a couple years.

-Pierce

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
If you're just going to lift them and not do crossfit type moves, I'd just go to craigslist and keep track on there for a while. I'm positive you'll find some amazing deals on stuff that people have used about 3 times and then it just sat in their house collecting dust.

As for brands, it really doesn't matter unless you're doing power moves and dropping weights, in which case be sure to get some bumper plates.

Steve1578

Established Member
I've been piecing together a home gym the last few months. I just had a newborn so going to the gym is not an option right now. True, a lot of people fail to stick with it and end up selling their stuff down the line, but if you're going to stay dedicated then there's no harm in having a home gym. I watch CL because stuff can be had for pretty cheap. Too many people think you need to go to a full size gym to make gains, but with $2,500 I think you can definitely get everything you need. And if you do sell down the line, at least you'll be able to get close what you paid for it(if you buy used off CL and get good deals).

I currently have a bench, plates, treadmill, Schwinn airdyne, and dumbells. I'm about 250 bucks in. None if it is Gold's gym brand, but it's not trash either. Just stay committed and you can make gains without all the fancy stuff. Look at people in jail lol.

08mojo

Established Member
I'll keep an eye out for used equipment. Problem is, the used asking prices are not too far off from what I can find some of the equipment for new. I'm sure I'll find the right person that's willing to deal, but haven't yet.

As for it collecting dust, perhaps you could be right, but time will tell. I'm getting tired of dealing with people at the gym. From people that jump on equipment I'm using when I get water to nasty ****s that dont clean off their sweat. Living in Atlanta, I just need a break from people, and the gym used to be a good escape. Now, its becoming another frustration.

Steve1578

Established Member
I'll keep an eye out for used equipment. Problem is, the used asking prices are not too far off from what I can find some of the equipment for new. I'm sure I'll find the right person that's willing to deal, but haven't yet.

As for it collecting dust, perhaps you could be right, but time will tell. I'm getting tired of dealing with people at the gym. From people that jump on equipment I'm using when I get water to nasty ****s that dont clean off their sweat. Living in Atlanta, I just need a break from people, and the gym used to be a good escape. Now, its becoming another frustration.

Definitely just keep your eyes open. A local guy recently put his whole home gym up for sale, all plate-loaded machines, great condition, he was asking like $100 per machine. It was a great day, but I unfortunately missed out on it. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll get some deals.

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
Don't listen to these knuckleheads. I've had a home gym for the 20 years my wife and I have been married. We both use it regularly. It's much more convenient than going out to a gym.

Try craigslist or a playitagainsports store if you have one in your area. They sell new and used equipment.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Craigslist has treated me well and even though the prices are not far off of new, it'll add up to a decent savings before you know it (can add a nice TV to watch). I have a treadmill, boxing bag/stand, Bowflex, 2.5-35lb dumbbells w/rack, thing to do dips on and pull-up bar and have about $450 invested into the whole thing. Dumbbells alone usually run about $1 per pound when new from what I've seen.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been a gym rat for years and years.
After the last gym raised their prices like 15 bucks more a month, I told myself, I'm done paying memberships. I bought myself a heavy duty bench, 300 bucks in weights and worked out at home for years and years.
As of January this year, I joined WorkOut World for only 10 bucks a month. I still workout at home Monday through Thursday, but go to the gym on the weekends/holidays/vacation days from work.
Works out very well for me.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
if you really want to train at home and are serious leave room to expand as you progress. they means buying different equipment and more weights ect.

i like the idea of a heavy and speed bag if you know how to use them. dips and pullups are good exercises and from ive seen you can hang a set on your door.

id also get a treadmill and mirros so you can watch your progress and make sure youre using correct technique.

its worth it if you stay with it but i agree looking at hot young ladies makes me train harder so i prefer to join a gym.

spectreman

Established Member
Don't listen to these knuckleheads. I've had a home gym for the 20 years my wife and I have been married. We both use it regularly. It's much more convenient than going out to a gym.

Try craigslist or a playitagainsports store if you have one in your area. They sell new and used equipment.

What he said.

Long time lifter here. Worked out in all types of gyms since the mid 70's. Best gym I ever belonged to was the one I built for myself. It's conveniently located in the 3rd bay of my garage, open 24/7/365, nobody interrupts my sets, I listen or watch what I want to listen/watch. All of my equipment, save my elliptical, was purchased off local craigslist or playitagainsports at huge discounts than buying new. I've got over 1500 lbs of free weights- both olympic and standard, dumbells, benches, pulldowns, squat rack, etc. in my workout area.

If space is at a premium, you might want to consider space saver type equipment, like Bowflex machines and Powerblocks or Bowflex adjustable dumbbells. Either way, you'll be amazed what you can fit in a small space if you plan.

If you know what your goals are- and that's really important- and have the space, there's nothing like owning your own gym. Are you looking to just 'get fit' or bulk up? Powerlift, crossfit, bodybuild or general fitness? Soon as you figure it out, you can start building.

Good luck!
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread