hot/cold tune

foreprecision

Established Member
Wife vetoed the whipple, but not a port job.

My plan is to keep the 2.8 upper/stock lower with the blower/tb/plenum port. I'll go ahead and do a MAF and HE upgrade while I'm at it, but possibly skipping a fuel pump upgrade.

It is very likely that the car will get retuned at 90+ degree weather. If I choose to not do a fuel pump upgrade at this point, can I possibly exceed the limits of the fuel pump in 35-40 degree weather?

Thanks for any advice.

Justin
(BTW, car also has JLT CAI, Bassani CB and OR/X, idler, etc.)

smashedheadcat

Established Member
If you are on the ragged edge of your fuel pump duty cycle in hot weather, it is possible for you to run out of pump in the cold. Do not skimp out on fueling upgrades if you need them. A Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump is all you'd need with those mods. When tuned correctly, your air to fuel ratio will stay the same reguardless of weather. The air charge temp timing table will manipulate your spark curve in hot weaher to keep you safe reguardless of weather. Log the fuel pump duty cycle. Try to keep the cycle in the mid 80's if possible. If you are seeing mid 90's in the heat it's possible for you to peak out in the cold which will cause your fuel pressure to drop under wide open throttle. The injector pulse width will change and hold the injector open longer to prevent a lean condition, but they can only do so much. After that, the car drifts lean and BOOM! If money is tight, scrap the heat exhanger idea in favor of the boost a pump.

foreprecision

Established Member
If the fuel pump is going to be anywhere near it's limits, then I'll definately take care of that.

My wife is still pissed about the $15k that I spent on the LS1, so $1500 more in mods is a much easier sell than $4500 in mods. After all, I used the excuse of "a Terminator is cheap to modify" just to get the Cobra, so my antics have come back to haunt me.

Thanks,
Justin

smashedheadcat

Established Member
LOL. I hear ya. I told my wife if she let me pump out roughly $8K on a twin turbo setup I'd be done with the car. I am though, power wise. But of course, who couldn' use a roll cage, big'n'littles, harnesses and an automatic? :)

Users who are viewing this thread