how do you guys pass inspection?

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
There are a lot of you out there that run long tubes, off road mid pipes, ect. How do you guys pass the OBDII test for inspection? It's my understanding now that the inspection computer can tell if we have turned the rear 02 sensors off and will result in a FAIL.

I'd like to do more that a cat back with my exhaust once my car gets here, but I have to pass NC inspection since mine will be a DD.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
We don't have emissions testing in this part of the state yet.

I bought out of state, so I had to get my car inspected. They didnt even get in it. They just handed me the sticker.

Zemedici

Established Member
If you're running MIL eliminators, its my understanding no CEL code will be thrown, so the computer will not set off the scanner.

So unless you go to a place that visually inspects, which few places do, you should be ok. Worst comes to worst you just keep the stock midpipe and swap it out, as they bolt right on and off.

Feel free to tell me if i'm misinformed anyone :beer:

reason4treason

Established Member
I was going to ask how people deal with moving to another state.

we don't all have state inspection other than smog check; and in CA that doesn't have to be done for 6 years on a new car. I'd imagine it varies from state to state, but it seems like that'd be an issue for somebody who had moved to another state by now.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Many southern states don't have rules...Just "suggestions". :lol:

We don't have inspections at all here.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
I thought that the high flow cats would set off the check engine light as well since the time to heat up is different from the OEM cats?

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Or run a high flow catted mid pipe and not worry about it. I've always found that works the best.

The stock mid pipe is already highflow, unless you have your heart set on a X pipe stick with the stocker as there is nothing to gain there.

steeltoe

Established Member
I thought that the high flow cats would set off the check engine light as well since the time to heat up is different from the OEM cats?
All that can be changed in the tune.
The stock mid pipe is already highflow, unless you have your heart set on a X pipe stick with the stocker as there is nothing to gain there.
Hmmm I didn't know you could run a stock mid pipe with a set of long tube headers.

Zemedici

Established Member
There are a lot of you out there that run long tubes, off road mid pipes, ect. How do you guys pass the OBDII test for inspection? It's my understanding now that the inspection computer can tell if we have turned the rear 02 sensors off and will result in a FAIL.

I'd like to do more that a cat back with my exhaust once my car gets here, but I have to pass NC inspection since mine will be a DD.

Hmmm I didn't know you could run a stock mid pipe with a set of long tube headers.

was referring to him changing the mid pipe, as OP posted asking about.

Myfast70

Established Member
Or run a high flow catted mid pipe and not worry about it. I've always found that works the best.

Van highly recommends against them for '13's & '14's. Now you could always run a gutted cat mid pipe to pass the visual and MIL eliminator s to prevent the light

Van@RevanRacing

Long tube headers with two tunes. Emissions pass and off road.

I sell American Racing Headers and for customers that have emissions we provide a removable catalytic converter and a secondary tune for the removable cats with all systems armed.

Just had a customer email me who lives in NC. Couldn't pass. Sent revised tune with systems armed. PASS!!

I do not recommend after market cats with long tubes for extended periods of time and driving on these cars. Just removables for inspections and then back to off road.

Van

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
Long tube headers with two tunes. Emissions pass and off road.

I sell American Racing Headers and for customers that have emissions we provide a removable catalytic converter and a secondary tune for the removable cats with all systems armed.

Just had a customer email me who lives in NC. Couldn't pass. Sent revised tune with systems armed. PASS!!

I do not recommend after market cats with long tubes for extended periods of time and driving on these cars. Just removables for inspections and then back to off road.

Van

WOAH! I have not heard of an easy removable cat system such as that. Is that exclusive to American racing headers? I am planning on going with a cat back from stainless works, but I assume that it wont quiet be loud enough for my taste. I do want to stay with an H pipe setup. Van would you recommend ARH longtubes and offroad H? or woud that be earth shattering loud? lol

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
Ive been in contact with Stainless Works and they are working on a full set up right now that will offer an H ppe instead of an X. I want that bad. I normally don't like the way an X pipe sounds but theirs souds good. They said in December. I may go with their catback until then. After they release the system, pull the trigger on the longtubes, midpipe, and a tune....just cross my fingers on the inspection lol. Or as Van suggested, get some kind of setup where cats can be bolted and unbolted with ease.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Unfortunately the only thing they care about here in the great state of Mississippi is aftermarket tint.

Your car could be belching oil/smoke/spare parts all over the road but as long as you don't have dark tint everyone gets a sticker.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I always swapped my H-pipes for the test. Now we no longer have testing in KY.

Back when we used to have it, it was a sniffer test and there was no way to fool it. Interesting they don't do that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread