How many Shelby GT500 Mustangs have changed rear gears?

How many Shelby GT500s have changed rear gearing with FRPP gears?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

captainelectric

Established Member
Any whinng or problems?
What brand did you use?
If FRPP gears what letter was after the gear number?

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
I just got my car back today with a gear change to 3.73's. Its snowing so I can't answer your poll just yet. But they are the frpp m-4029-f373n gears, I've read they are made in Italy but the box says made in the U.S.A, we'll see tomorrow when I take her out on the highway.

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
Remember if they whine right away, you only got about 50miles to get it back in too reshim before the gears are worn in the wrong spots. After that there is no shimming left and they will whine forever.

captainelectric

Established Member
gears

Thanks to all for the suggestions. For the ones of you running the "m" and "n" (Motive made) gears with no trouble. You are lucky and probably dont have the same rear end as I have. (There are different rear ends under these cars we found out today) Mine is considered non serviceable according to Ford. Well today they installed my ("A" gears 4:10s) exact set up as the three sets of "N" and "M' 373 gears and guess what? Its fixed!!! Good luck guys and watch out with the 08s! If you can find the FRPP USA made gears with "A" after the gear get a hold of em

jcthorne

Established Member
All the GT500 rear ends are the same and all are considered 'non serviceable' by ford as the parts are not available. Specificly the GT500 specific pinion bearing.

The FRPP gears with the A part numbers are FORD OEM sourced gears and generally do not whine if set up properly. The M part number gears from Motive generally whine some but may be perfectly serviceable even though they make noise.

None of this is new informaiton. Please search and read the information already provided by many others in these forums. I did, knew to buy the A part number gears for a GT500, got them at a great price from Summit and had them installed a year ago with NO whine. And yes I have a replacement UCA along with other upgrades to the rear suspension.

If you are trying to get FRPP to admit there is something 'wrong' with your gears you are barking up the wrong tree and will never get such an admission. They are racing parts and are to expect somewhat increased NVH. The correct parts for the job and low noise feature you seek are available at a slightly higher price in a different part number than what you purchased.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Remember if they whine right away, you only got about 50miles to get it back in too reshim before the gears are worn in the wrong spots. After that there is no shimming left and they will whine forever.
I've reshimmed rearends that have whined for thousands of miles with perfectly quiet results.

There has only been one that I couldn't get perfect and the gears had to be replaced. That was a 4.30 gear set that was way out for a long time. They were far too gone and wouldn't pattern correctly.

IMO, a good rearend guy can fix almost any whining rearend regardless of how long it's been going on. I also firmly believe a whining rearend was from a poor install rather than from a brand of gear. There are always exceptions however.

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Thanks to all for the suggestions. For the ones of you running the "m" and "n" (Motive made) gears with no trouble. You are lucky and probably dont have the same rear end as I have. (There are different rear ends under these cars we found out today) Mine is considered non serviceable according to Ford. Well today they installed my ("A" gears 4:10s) exact set up as the three sets of "N" and "M' 373 gears and guess what? Its fixed!!! Good luck guys and watch out with the 08s! If you can find the FRPP USA made gears with "A" after the gear get a hold of em

Does anyone even sell "A" sets anymore? Are they discontinued?:??:For instance, in the FRPP catalog I see:

M-4209-G373N (3.73)
these are bad I take it? The M stands for motive?

I also see
M-4209-G410A* (4:10) These are bad as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread