How much clutch will I need?

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
For 700-800 hp I know the stock clutch will not work at all. The 26 spline input shaft is not totally out of the question, but pressure plate and disc selection is up in the air. I want to keep the stock flywheel. Recommendations on discs and pressure plates? I want everything; ie, less pedal effort and more clamping force. Stop and go traffic takes a toll on all our left legs, but if at all possible, I would like a new pressure plate that will have SOME leniency. Race clutches are not necessary as this will be a street car first so smooth engagement is preferable. But there just has to be a pressure plate option that won't cause my left leg to go numb in stop and go traffic.

TRBO VNM

I would say one of the spec clutches or ram clutch. I had the centerforce DFX, but I am not sure I am sold on it. Some say to go with the Spec 5, but I here it can have some noise when coming out of 1st, but it should hold the power. I am not sure and doubt the spec 3+ will. Ram has a clutch a lot of people are happy with, you would have to search for it though. I am not sure which one it is.

either way, I would recommend changing the flywheel to a steel flywheel. even if you want to stick with the aluminum flywheel I would change it.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Probably for heat resistance. Aluminum may have a high tolerance for heat, but steel is less susceptable to distortion due to concentrated hot spots. Also, the higher grip clutch discs have harder material on them that will wear an alum flywheel faster than steel. I was just hoping to not have to swap out yet another part.

TRBO VNM

you can keep the aluminum, but a lot of people have said with turbo you want the steel. I don't remember specific reasons right now. would have to search. even people with the twin screws are switching. other than that, it is time for bed...sorry. I would have to search and there is a lot of tech on the other board about this.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
look into the mcleod rev lok clutch, I have a new one for sale but its only a 10.5 not 11". its a rebuildable sintered iron disc that uses a stock pressure plate because of the material. it will hold the power and smoother engaugement over the stg 3 clutches.
th_100_0657.jpg

th_100_0658.jpg

360R

Established Member
just go with the DFX, cheap, and the things frigin holds some power. We have it in a couple shop cars making 7-800 and they are holding fine, daily driven, Also kno of countless others cars doing the same.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
i have the steel flywheel and DFX 26 spline with my turbo set up and it held 26lbs of boost and almost made 1000 hp. I just wanted to see if it would take and hold and it did.

nimesis

Go with a steel fly, that helps load the motor while setting still (e.g starting line). and its kinda hard to argue with a guy that made close to a G.

Users who are viewing this thread