How should I spend a pile of cash with Revan?

5BANERZ

Established Member
When I got my 2014 last year I said I was going to wait for major mods until the warranty expired (only done cosmetic mods to this point). Being that I live in Michigan and the car has set for 4.5 months and counting, I seem to be catching a case of the mod bug. I want to build the car for the drag strip, while still being able to weekend cruise and drive it to work on nice summer days (I love parking American muscle right in between the European POS's my co-workers drive). As I try putting together my mod plan, it seems one mod leads to another. With that said, hopefully all of you can provide some feedback. Budget is around $8K-$9K this go round.

Obviously I have to start with a 13-6 kit. Was thinking both upper and lower pulleys.

Want to convert to E85.

At this point will the exhaust become restrictive? Guessing this will lead to American Racing headers and X or H pipes

Now I have to get the power to the ground. Plan to put Nitto DR's on the back and I suppose I need one of Van's drag racing suspension kits.

What about the clutch? Will that now need to be upgraded too?

It seems the list keeps going and going and I haven't got to gears, etc. I plan to give Van a call this week for his opinion but would love to have yours as well. Thanks.

Scott

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
When I got my 2014 last year I said I was going to wait for major mods until the warranty expired (only done cosmetic mods to this point). Being that I live in Michigan and the car has set for 4.5 months and counting, I seem to be catching a case of the mod bug. I want to build the car for the drag strip, while still being able to weekend cruise and drive it to work on nice summer days (I love parking American muscle right in between the European POS's my co-workers drive). As I try putting together my mod plan, it seems one mod leads to another. With that said, hopefully all of you can provide some feedback. Budget is around $8K-$9K this go round.

Obviously I have to start with a 13-6 kit. Was thinking both upper and lower pulleys.

Want to convert to E85.

At this point will the exhaust become restrictive? Guessing this will lead to American Racing headers and X or H pipes

Now I have to get the power to the ground. Plan to put Nitto DR's on the back and I suppose I need one of Van's drag racing suspension kits.

What about the clutch? Will that now need to be upgraded too?

It seems the list keeps going and going and I haven't got to gears, etc. I plan to give Van a call this week for his opinion but would love to have yours as well. Thanks.

Scott

If you want to spend in that range why not go for a blower swap so you can build up from there? I kinda see the 13-6 kit as a "toward the end of the power range I want to go" and the KB/Whipple swap as the "toward the beginning of the power I want to make" option.

Last edited:

5BANERZ

Established Member
If you want to spend in that range why not go for a blower swap so you can build up from there? I kinda see the 13-6 kit as a "towed the end of the power range I want to go" and the KB/Whipple swap as the "toward the beginning of the power I want to make" option.

Not sure I want to go that far? I am guessing if I start building off a larger blower I will reach the point of having to rebuild the bottom end, etc. At this time, I don't want to get to the point of having to install a roll cage, etc. to even be allowed on the strip (although an occasional dip slightly under 10 would be sweet). I'll leave the serious power to BIRDDOC.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Haha I said the same thing about my 2014!!! I'm about to pull the trigger on the ARH headers and H pipe from Van and a TB and tune.

5BANERZ

Established Member
What are your power and handling goals?

As much power as the engine can handle with the stock lower end. Not looking to pull the engine and do a major overhaul. I want the car to be fast on the strip, but not so fast that no one will let me on without a rollcage, etc. The car will not be tracked so it just needs to handle on the street and hook up and go in a straight line down the strip. Sorry the description is vague but I haven't set a HP target, etc.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Most tracks require roll cages for 10s or below....these cars do that stock with tire and driver.

If I was you, I'd get a pulley, throttle body and tune. That will get you over 700rwhp for less than 1500 bucks installed if u already have a scanner.

Then get a decent rear tire like the mpss and maybe some upper and lower control arms.

That should get to hook decent, run tens and handle well for around 3000 installed. All while keeping the exhaust stock and running pump gas.

Save the 5-6k for a nice vacation .

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I'll try for the third time to respond, this site kicks me off after being logged on for 45 f'ing seconds for some reason.... Contact VMP or Van! Lots of fun & ass whoopins can be had with less than 800 HP! Solid setups can be had for not a lot of cash on these engines.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Van has you covered on this one. I'd recommend what Biminlx said above (w/ 4.10 or 3.73 gears). You will be around mid 10's on the strip with practice and mid 700's whp at the wheels. With our Shelby's you don't need a cage unless you run faster than 9.99 or 135 mph per NHRA rules. Your $$ range is more than enough for this setup. Good Luck!

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Van, will hook you up just tell him your goal with the car...great guy to work with.

Manuel

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Enjoyed speaking with you this morning Scott and I am looking forward to working with you.

Thanks again,

Van

gnewton

Established Member
I'd go with slicks--DR's might still have you spinning. I could update you what I bought for my 2014 if you are interested

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

12gt500

Established Member
Van has you covered on this one. I'd recommend what Biminlx said above (w/ 4.10 or 3.73 gears). You will be around mid 10's on the strip with practice and mid 700's whp at the wheels. With our Shelby's you don't need a cage unless you run faster than 9.99 or 135 mph per NHRA rules. Your $$ range is more than enough for this setup. Good Luck!

is this true for a 12 also? and where can i find that to show the officials at the track

David Neibert

Established Member
You will be around mid 10's on the strip with practice and mid 700's whp at the wheels. With our Shelby's you don't need a cage unless you run faster than 9.99 or 135 mph per NHRA rules.

Really.??..I thought you were required to have a roll bar at 11.49 then a certified cage at 9.99 or 135.

David

PS: Congrats on getting some ink in 5.0 Mustang magazine.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Really.??..I thought you were required to have a roll bar at 11.49 then a certified cage at 9.99 or 135.

David

PS: Congrats on getting some ink in 5.0 Mustang magazine.

New NHRA rule as of 2013 is no cage in model years 2008 and above if you stay above 9.99 and below 135mph. You still need all the other stuff like DS loop ect. There is some obscurity in the rule though. They try to define unaltered/stock in it but don't give details. In the end it depends on how your local tracks apply the rule. In Kentucky they just enforce the 9.99/135 and let the rest fly.

Thanks man! KOTS was a fun time. It's too bad the drag race portion was thrown out after seeing the final scores.

Last edited:

5BANERZ

Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Enjoyed speaking with you this morning Scott and I am looking forward to working with you.

Thanks again,

Van

Van, thanks for being so generous with your time. Will hit you up before you leave on vacation. Ran our plan by the wife and she said what's in it for me. LOL. My build plans might have gotten a bit more expensive. ;-)

Van@RevanRacing

Van, thanks for being so generous with your time. Will hit you up before you leave on vacation. Ran our plan by the wife and she said what's in it for me. LOL. My build plans might have gotten a bit more expensive. ;-)

That's not necessarily a bad thing! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread