How to Aim Headlights ?

BBriBro

Established Member
This is the first time I got to use my new Ford Service DVD and so far I am not impressed. Does the DVD really contain ALL the info that is in the printed manual? Anyway, I learned my headlights are "VOR" or "visual optical right" I am assuming that means for countries that drive on the right and the beams are actually aimed to the right (away from oncoming traffic) although they don't say what it means.

They say horizontal aiming is not required for VOR headlamps, but what are the specs? how far to the right are they supposed to be? is the right headlight supposed to shine off the road into the woods, and the left one light up the guardrail on the right, with a dark spot in front of the car? there must be some sort of ball park that they "should be" aimed for.

They say the sight shield may need to be positioned or removed for access to the adjusters. What is the sight shield, what does it look like? They don't even have a picture of the headlight pointing to the vertical adjuster, ( I guess they assume everyone knows where that is) I am wondering if the horizontal aiming CAN be adjusted, even though it shouldn't be necessary. But I think the service manual outta at least show a picture of the headlight.

Someone else on here mentioned that there was an adjusting screw hidden behind a removeable panel, I am thinking that might be what they are referring to with the sight shield. I dunno, but there must be a way to aim them horizontally.

Jpjr

Established Member
I don't know about you, but my headlights suck. The bulbs almost seem to point down. If there is a way to get them up a big I'd love to know.

BBriBro

Established Member
Raising them up is simple, there is a phillips head adjuster screw on top, just behind the headlights, should be easy to spot with the hood open, it's the left to right aiming that has me puzzled.

mystic04

Established Member
pull about 25 feet away from a smooth wall or garage door and mark the height of about 2 feet up on the wall or door its' in the your book. how to do the headlights

BBriBro

Established Member
Mackie said:
- horizontal aim is not required AND impossible.

Good luck.
I think the problem lies with the aftermarket HID bulbs that are not designed for these reflectors. I didn't really notice the mis alignment until I installed an HID kit. I don't know if the HID bulbs are in a slightly different location within the headlight, thus slightly changing their aim, or If I am just more picky and notice these things after messing with it and doing the install.

03reptile

Established Member
Good advise, Mackie. He is spot on about aftermarket bulbs. You are well advised to stay with the Silverstars as suggested. Other bulbs put your harness and connectors at risk for overheating problems and possible fires. I use the Silverstars and they do a respectable job. Just my two cents.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Wow Mackie! Great write up. My headlights on my LS were never what I wanted. The aftermarket bulbs I installed didn't seem to help that much. Now I know why. I have night vision issues and good headlights are essential to me. With my Cobra and my LS, I have found that the factory lighting will suffice if I use the fog lights with them. (low beam only though) Thanks for all the information.

As to the Ford Service DVD, I can't tell you if it contains all the information the written manual does or not...but I seriously doubt it. What I can tell you is you need to spend some time playing around with the navigation in it. I was amazed what information is there if you look hard enough. However, the wiring diagrams are horrible. I finally had to buy the factory wiring diagrams from Helms for my Aviator. The DVD just wasn't complete and way too hard to navigate.

Users who are viewing this thread